U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:11 AM

1,784 posts, read 1,742,638 times
NW Indiana is amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 AM

3,967 posts, read 3,848,493 times
Gary is just one town and it's a black sheep. You can think of it as the "rough side" of the greater "town" that is Northwest Indiana. It's not like Iowa. Most of the towns in Lake County, Indiana run together and are densely populated.. It's not like there's Iowa City and Corriville and then once you're outside of these two towns, there's not much else but cornfields and the basics.. When you get out of Gary, you can drive for an hour through various different neighborhoods, shopping areas, restaurants, parks and other entertainment options. You want it? You can prabobly find it somewhere.. And if you can't, just go to Chicago.

I don't live in NW Indiana and have no plans of ever moving there, BTW. I'm just across the state line in Illinois the "south suburbs" though. The bottom line is that NW Indiana is a slice of one the biggest metro areas in the county. This alone makes it better than Iowa, in my opinion.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 PM

8,867 posts, read 12,505,151 times
I don't know, I grew up in Iowa and have been around in NW Indiana a lot the past 10 years (my best friends are from NW Indiana and I have been there for work a dozen times). From what I've heard and seen, Iowa's larger cities probably supply a better quality as far as having lower unemployment rates, a more diverse and growing economy, lower crime, lower traffic, higher rated public school, higher levels of growth, etc. Yes Chicago is right there, but the discussion is between Indiana and Iowa, not Chicago. Not sure where the OP is interested in living, right near the Chicago border, in Indy, in the southern part of the state....

Overall Iowa is more progressive and a swing state compared to Indiana which is normally pretty conservative (except of course in 2008).

Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM

8,867 posts, read 12,505,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abedox View Post
is livieng with a 2000 dollars ok in any of those 2 cities
i ama doctor used to live in california los anglos then returned to my country egypt
i dont if this is good money to live with especially i want to rent someplace not very far from universities
Which two cities? Indy and Des Moines?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:12 PM

14,965 posts, read 19,677,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
NW Indiana is amazing.
The weather in NW Indiana is beyond horrid. The clouds always seem darker there for long periods of time than just about anywhere in the country. Lake effect clouds, snowbelt, etc. I like lots of snow myself, but not the continuous non-stop cloudcover for months on end. The eastern Midwest has absolutely nothing in common with areas west of the Great Lakes in terms of a cloudiness comparison.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:04 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,742,638 times
I was kidding. I agree by the way.

I couldn't stand that about Chicago. They get really mad if you bring that up, lol. Even in summer its cloudy half the time. It also gets dark much earlier in winter...but the sun comes up sooner, which never mattered to me.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:17 PM

2,127 posts, read 2,023,732 times
Iowa and Indiana are both great states; however, Indiana has quite a bit of an edge in terms of population base, educational institutions, amenities, distances from popular destinations, and overall identity.

I'd prefer the winters in Iowa, but that's just me

Old 03-29-2011, 01:47 PM

11 posts, read 29,103 times
Default Iowa vs. Indiana

I have lived in both Indiana and Iowa. I strongly prefer Iowa.

I prefer it in terms of its economy, safety, quality of K-12 education, and the tolerance for others that are different. Iowa's thing is live and let live. I can't say that is true of Indiana.

Now Indiana has more "stuff" with twice as many people in the state, but the quality of the Iowan is almost striking. I'd be very willing to bet that some of the best people on the entire planet live in Iowa and that makes me HAPPY .

Iowa is slow-paced yet still midwestern (not at all backwards like some of the south). Iowa is hard-working yet laid back. Iowa is basic, down to earth, and humble. Iowans just seem happier to me.

(I did not grow up in either of these states, by the way)

Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 AM

413 posts, read 501,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Gary, IN is a very nice place to live. Great schools and safe. You are right.
You're probably joking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa