Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 01:06 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times

Advertisements

I write about old houses, specifically, kit homes that came from the Sears Roebuck catalog. As you can see from other posts I've got her eat City Data, I do a lot of traveling. This has been my full-time work since 2002.

Click here to learn more about Sears Homes.

Today I was scanning a 1914 Aladdin kit homes catalog. (Aladdin was another company that sold kit homes through mail order.) In the back of the catalog, I found this AWESOME testimonial and I just thought it was so cool.

I'll post the whole thing below, but it's the story of Charles Stoffel, who built an Aladdin "Kentucky" for his wife, and soon-to-be-born little baby. The baby (Maxim) was born 30 days after the house was built.

For those who don't know about kit homes, these were true kits ordered out of the early 20th Century mail-order catalogs (like Sears). The kits arrived by train (in a boxcar) and had 12,000 pieces and parts. Each kit came with a 75-page instruction book and a promise that "a man of average abilities" could have the house ready for occupancy in 90 days.

Below are a few pictures of Aladdin Homes, followed by the testimonial. If anyone knows if this house is still standing, I'd love to hear about it!!!

And now the testimonial:

And they built this house, the Aladdin Kentucky! It's a big house - about 42' across the front.

So, has anyone seen this house - (directly above)? I'd love to find out if it is still there in Mechanicsville, Iowa. As mentioned, it's a very wide house with several windows across the front. The front door is centered on the house.

Rose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 10:39 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,451 times
Cool! Sorry, I don't know about that house.

But I thought I'd just mention, in case you don't know, that there's a Sears house in Colo Iowa - I think it's on West street. There's also a Sears house in Gilbert, MN - on the corner of Nebraska and Summit. I have info about that one someplace I can scrounge up if you don't have that in your files already.

Always a fun topic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa