U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,317 times

Advertisements

Fairfield is a great place to live....a little confining for a child at times....but after moving away to Portland, Oregon, sisters in Dallas and San Francisco all of us agree that Fairfield wasn't such a bad place after all.

People are friendly and some of the friction with the campus came mainly about a lot of urban dwellers coming into a small town and the difference between the 2. A few differences for me and the school, but I lived there when it was a small liberal arts college and had traditional college like things-People will articulate their opinions but for the most part won't treat you any different than their neighbor.

Wal-Mart changed Fairfield a lot more than the campus did, though I don't have anything personal against Wal-Mart. Not too far to the airport in Cedar RApids about 2 hr. drive. Neat places to drive to...a great laid back place to make a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,298 times
[quote=ChiroAY;75248]I saw a magazine article siting Fairfield, IA as a very healthy city with organic produces, cosmic connected houses and meditation practices. I'm in southern California, and the high cost here and traffic is driving us into wanting to get out. I like to know if anyone has been to Fairfield or seen the new Vedic City, supposedly a model city for world peace. I read that it's still affordable there, low crime rate, and great schools for kids. How about the job market? And is the winter season bad? I'm also a martial arts enthusiast, any do-jo there? Any feedback is appreciated.[/QUOTE=mayorEd] A good friend steered me to this site and your message about Fairfield. No hoax - I am the mayor of Fairfield. I'm a native New Yorker who moved out here in 1980. At the time there were several hundred peolple from all parts of the US moving here to be a part of the meditation programs at Maharishi University of Management. Over the past 27 years Fairfield has grown to become a model of entrepreneurship - producing hundreds of new companies and thousands of new jobs. That culture of entrepreneurship continues so there are opportunities that you wouldn't expect to find in a small rural area. When searching for jobs my recommendation would be an exploration and networking visit to see if there is an opportuinity for you. We don't have good web based job search services available right now. We also have a vibrant arts culture - including visual, performing and music. Many opportunities for martial arts. This is not Southern California - we have four seasons. The best I can say is that there are many former Californians living here. Hope that helps. Fell free to contact our visitors bureau.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:17 PM

565 posts, read 1,409,000 times
I just returned from Fairfield from visiting my friend and her husband. They are both semi-retired, she has a part-time job there. They both moved there because they do meditate in their home, but they are not connected with the Maharsi University. There are people there that look strange, but they don't seem to bother anyone. Most of the town seems to be normal. Politically, my friend says, it seems to be 1/2 Democrat, 1/2 Republican.

There are a lot of good recreational opportunities, great walking/bike trails, a beach in town and a movie theater. They also have one fine dining restaurant with great food, and also have a civic center.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:31 PM

200 posts, read 467,436 times
Hey - Fairfield is one of those quiet little secrets - like a rare jewel if ya ask me. My hubby and I were into meditation and were looking at MIU to further our educ - in fact he proposed to me on a bench there at MIU over 27 yrs ago! Had little squirrels come up by our feet when he did - looking up at me as if they were asking "ARE YOU ACCEPTING?"..... (grin) everything was so peaceful and calm. It was great. Went there a few years later and it looked pretty run down - not sure why. Hopefully was prepping to remodel. All I know is that is was a great little town, can't wait to go back to visit again. I don't recall of towns people having problems with MIU students/staff. I thought they were actually glad that the college was taken over and not left empty. They knew the group was not rowdy and when we were there all was accepted.
Will always have a fond spot in our hearts for Fairfield and MIU. Check it out. The winters are too long and too gray for us, though. Neither one of us can handle cold that well (which is why we are in FL now) But go see, go visit....I would highly recommend that!!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:34 PM

180 posts, read 738,953 times
My ex grew up in Fairfield (mostly). I remember going to his high school reunion with him. I grew up on a farm and was a bit aprehensive about going to a "towny" event. I bought a lovely little velvet number to wear from a boutique in our nearest city. I was treated like a slick city chick because the town I lived in was bigger! lol!

Fairfield is a lovely place and I enjoy visiting there when I can. I am not longer considered a slick city chick either... friends I made there know better now... lol

You will love Fairfield!

Old 08-23-2007, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,277 times
Default Fairfield is not all that

Hi,
Fairfield is not that great. I lived there for 24 years. It is safe and you can get from one side of the town to the other quickly. The schools are also ok. But with that being said you cannot make that great of living there.
It is extremely easy to get bored there also. People say you have to use your imagination to find things to do but unless you truly like small towns (9379 people according to the US census 2006) There is not much you can do. Almost all the people I went to school with and graduated with in 1985 and before and after have long since moved away. I haven't been back in 2 years and probably won't for along while. When I did go some of the few that did remain from my school days wished they had got out.
If you want to have lots to do like art ,theater, pro sports or the ocean then Fairfield is not the place to be.
I almost forgot some people talk about the "townies" and the people from Maharishi University of Management. I was a townie I guess you could say. The University did clean up the town by restoring lots of the older houses and buildings and it is clean and nice. Someone said that some of them are a little different. Aren't we all. Lots of them come from bigger cities and other countries so their cultures can be different
Last thing is I noticed the Mayor of Fairfield talks about how Fairfield has produced hundreds of new companies and thousands of new jobs.
If he is talking about these jobs and workers are in Fairfield that is NOT true.
Fairfield could not support hundreds of jobs and thousands of workers since
there is only about 9379 people.
Fairfield is a nice place to say you use to live. That is my opinion good bad or whatever

Old 09-09-2007, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 10,037 times
Default California to Fairfield

I live outside San Francisco. This summer I spent two months in SE Iowa. The town I lived in was even smaller than Fairfield - about 25 minutes south. I commuted to Cedar Rapids everyday, so I spent a lot of time on the road. As soon as you are heading south out of Iowa City there is very little traffic. The drive is beautiful. I'd come through Mt. Pleasant then into Fairfield. Fairfield by comparison to where I lived was active. Places were open into the evening. There were people on the streets after dark and on the weekend live music (some pretty good alternative rock) and overall the town has a nice vitality. Reminds me of a low key clean Berkeley California. A large precentage of the people seemed low key and earthy. There were plenty of stores with college town type stuff - health food, ethnic restaurants, gift stores. But it IS small town even though it has a college town feel. Not sure how much you could find to do unless you 'made your own music'. Depends on what you are looking for. For the two months I was in SE Iowa I was very content and loved the low key, country attitudes. And you aren't too far from Cedar Rapids, Amana Colony and Hannibal or Quincy on the Mississippi if you start getting stir crazy. Day trip to a Mississippi River town can be pretty cool. You'll find restaurants with a cajun feel & fun attitudes. Jobs - thats another story. The University - does have an impact on the quality of life in the town - but in a good way. I love it there - more than California, keeping in mind I was not there through a winter. Housing prices are incredibly low too. Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 10,037 times
Yes they have martial arts schools in Fairfield too.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,990 times
I used to live in Fairfield and still own a house there and go back from time to time. It's a nice place. Quiet and pleasant with a nice town square and small town feel, but thanks to Maharishi University, it is cosmopolitan too. The biggest downside is that the job market is not very strong. On the other hand, the cost of living is low too. For the record, I am native to the area, but also meditate. On the whole, I highly recommend the place.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 12,061 times
Default fairfield resident

Fairfield is a great place to live. Very diverse community. Probably the most diverse city in America /capita. Tons of people from all over the country and the world live here. Not a great night life, not a financial center, but you will definately enjoy a peaceful healthy life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa