Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 11,390 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking for a apartment in Dubuque. Pet friendly price range $500-700.

Anyone know of any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 AM
WID

3 posts, read 11,478 times
I can tell you that things are a little off in Dubuque right now when looking for the "right" place. Since IBM came in many of the apartments were filled and many that were left over the pricess have been raised hoping to cash in on the IBM movement.

I'm looking to move to another place right now and having trouble finding anything in your price range. I was told by a friend last week to stay away from the guy that has the yellow and red signs that say "For Rent-Pets OK"

Old 06-26-2011, 02:19 AM

2 posts, read 8,849 times
WID is spot on. The new builds are asking something like 800 a month for a two bedroom - for Dubuque this is simply insane. Local developers went crazy building 'luxury' apartments, thinking IBM employees would be ignorant enough to actually pay this.

I would strongly recommend looking for places in nearby Galena. You`ll pay a lot less. I addition, Galena is largely a vacation town for upper middle class individuals from the Chicago suburbs, as compared to the inbred trash that resides in Dubuque.

I should mention that Galena is roughly a 15 minute drive to Dubuque, however, if you are from a larger city (say Chicago) the commute is completely bearable. I did it for about a year while I was there, and had a very pleasant experience.

Good Luck.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 PM

865 posts, read 623,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfairley View Post
Hello,

I'm looking for a apartment in Dubuque. Pet friendly price range $500-700.

Anyone know of any?
I'll tell you up front that looking for a place that accepts pets is a major challenge. I've been looking for 9 months for something for my family, and still can't find anything!

How many bedrooms? How many bathrooms? A lot of houses in the area are pretty old, some don't have garages because they were built before cars were prominent.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:50 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Re: "..inbred trash that lives in Dubuque."
That may be the most offensive posting I have seen on this site for quite a while.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 PM

116 posts, read 384,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Re: "..inbred trash that lives in Dubuque."
That may be the most offensive posting I have seen on this site for quite a while.
Offensive but halfway true. U can tell difference from apparences and presence/lack of obesity.

But galena aint for most especially those who need cabld tv or internet. Not like prioritirs in life but important. Who would want to get stuck with sattelite and dial-up? Wireless broadband not much of alternative either (also slow) due to the fact that most businesses dont upgrade in small towns in largerly rural areas.

Galena is great place for vacations but not for whole year living.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 AM

6 posts, read 27,148 times
I lived in Galena for several years and never had a problem getting cable or internet. My internet in Galena is just as fast as the internet I now have in Dubuque.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:06 PM

116 posts, read 384,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuquegal View Post
I lived in Galena for several years and never had a problem getting cable or internet. My internet in Galena is just as fast as the internet I now have in Dubuque.
if anyone in galena has high speed wired internet the only possibility there is cable from Mediacom. Cable internet especially from Mediacom, is hardly reliable especially if you need to work from home. I won't get into technical details but its uncommon for connection to drop , streaming videos even small and short get stuck on loading, or voip phone to frequently drop voice.

Satellite doesn't count since its heavily capped at daily transfer limit and its latency is completely unsuitable for a lot uses besides simple web browsing and short video streaming. Wireless 3G from at&t is limited to slow EDGE and Verizon has no fast LTE there and those two have low monthly caps.

Looks like only reliable alternative remains either living in Dubuque which has more choices for utilities or getting pair of T1 which price throws off most folks since for its monthly price you can get another nice car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa