U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 9,257 times

Advertisements

Ok, this is going to prove to be as hard a question to answer as it will be to even try to ask it. My wife and 2 kids are relocating to Iowa next year so we have been looking at houses everywhere and really like the ones we saw in Burlington. Problem is, my job will need me to be within about 90min from major cities with a lot of people in them. Problem 2 is that I don't like large cities (population >15,000 to me), I like small, quiet, low crime, old houses, affordable ($100,000 or less) housing,good schools for the kids. Soooooo, with that in mind is there a small town anywhere between des moines-iowa city-cedar rapids-waterloo area that would sort of fit what I'm looking for that anyone would recommend? I understand this is a tough question but I'm hoping some answers may lead me into the right direction, I hope. Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 07:05 AM

5,943 posts, read 6,496,138 times
There are many, but here are just a few I am familiar with:

Iowa City - Mount Pleasant (1 hour south), Fairfield (90 minutes SW).

Des Moines - Pella (1 hour SE), Oskaloosa (75 minutes SE), Ottumwa (100 minutes, SE, 90 if you drive fast).

I don't know how small you want to go, but both of these cities (and probably the others you mentioned) have a number of bedroom communities of under 3000 residents just a few minutes away. Mostly nice little towns, but services are usually limited because most people do their shopping in the city.

You didn't mention the Quad Cities; individually these cities aren't that large, but the population of the Quads combined is fairly large and they do have an airport. The reason I mention this is that Burlington is about 90 minutes from there.

Let me know if you have more specific questions, I don't know much about Waterloo and Cedar Rapids but I've been in SE Iowa most of my life and also did some time around Des Moines.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:33 AM

1,474 posts, read 843,571 times
Duster has replied with some decent suggestions for you with Ottumwa (population 25,000) being the largest of the towns & cities he/she mentioned.
I would add a couple more locations in that general area you requested. They are Newton & Grinnell in central Iowa.
Both are right on I-80 & have quick access to Des Moines to their west & relatively quick access to Iowa City, Cedar Rapids & Waterloo which are to their east & northeast.
Newton is 15,000 in population & may be more affordable in housing costs than it should be given that Maytag closed their operations in that city a few years ago when the company was bought out so I imagine that there might be a good bit of property available on the market at decent prices.
Grinnell is 9,000 in population & the home of well-respected Grinnell College.
Both towns are large enough to have ok shopping areas that would allow you to stay in town & avoid constant trips out of town for basic goods & services.
And Newton & Grinnell have good schools & are known to be quiet with low crime problems.
Good luck!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:40 PM

220 posts, read 497,411 times
I moved to Oskaloosa in April, and am liking it very much. It is about 11,000 in population, with a nice active downtown square and affordable houses, and even a small university. It is about 1 hr 15 min to Des Moines (an easy commute, not too much traffic) and about 1 hr 30 min to Iowa City/Cedar Rapids.

Grinnell is smaller, very close to I 80, and is about the same distance to DM and IC.

Pella is very, very lovely! But it is closer to DM - would be about 2 hrs to the IC.

Ottumwa, sadly, doesn't look like a very nice town - the downtown is in very poor condition. Because it is further south it would be further to drive to DM and IC.

If you want to be close to just the DM metropolitan area, I really like Indianola, which is south of the metro.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:00 PM

5,943 posts, read 6,496,138 times
When I first read the post I thought you needed to be close to at least one large city, but looking again I guess I don't know if you need to be near just any large city or somewhere close to all 4 that you mentioned. If that's the case, I would agree that Grinnell and Newton are probably your best bets. I like Marshalltown, as well, but it's a little larger than what you're looking for.

I'm not sure why I even listed Ottumwa. I forget that it's as large as it is, and it really is kind of a pit. There are some really nice folks there, and they definitely have lots of big, old houses that often sell for very reasonable prices. But having worked there in the past I have no desire to ever live there myself.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcguy View Post
Ok, this is going to prove to be as hard a question to answer as it will be to even try to ask it. My wife and 2 kids are relocating to Iowa next year so we have been looking at houses everywhere and really like the ones we saw in Burlington. Problem is, my job will need me to be within about 90min from major cities with a lot of people in them. Problem 2 is that I don't like large cities (population >15,000 to me), I like small, quiet, low crime, old houses, affordable ($100,000 or less) housing,good schools for the kids. Soooooo, with that in mind is there a small town anywhere between des moines-iowa city-cedar rapids-waterloo area that would sort of fit what I'm looking for that anyone would recommend? I understand this is a tough question but I'm hoping some answers may lead me into the right direction, I hope. Thank you all in advance.
I would recommend Martensdale or Bondurant. Both are small towns with small strong schools systems. They still qualify for USDA no money down loans and have good housing available. Easy commute to the metro and Des Moines has been on several top rankings for low unemployment, stable home prices and low cost of living. Martensdale/St Marys has been in the new lately as both their baseball and softball teams are undefeated. The baseball team has a chance at breaking the national record for wins in a row @ 84.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 AM

29 posts, read 56,700 times
Dyersville, Iowa (population 12,000) is a great smaller community. It is approximately 15 minutes from Dubuque, one hour from Waterloo and 45 minutes from Cedar Rapids. It's worth checking out!!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,049 times
How do I find available apartments for rent in martensdale?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:30 AM

580 posts, read 1,348,394 times
I'm not sure there are any apartments in Martensdale. It's too small of a town. I would recommend looking for apartments in nearby Norwalk, which is about 12-14 miles north.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM

10 posts, read 8,081 times
Check out North Liberty. It is north of Coralville off the I-80. Great small town with excellent access to both Des Moines and the Quad Cities. It was ranked as being in the top 100 best small towns in the US to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa