U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 AM

14 posts, read 30,779 times

Advertisements

I live in what is called the I-35 corridor near Ames. When I was a kid a short 65 years ago there were many more acres of timberland than now. All farmsteads had several acres of "grove: and river and creek boarders were well forested for some distance on each side of the waterway and was mostly used as pasture since all farms had various animals at the time. Fence lines with large trees were abundent and the scene was much different than today. Most of the trees were cut and burned or buried. Think of the number of acres of forest we have covered with water by constructing all the recreaction ares also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 01:23 AM

23 posts, read 64,889 times
Few windmills are still in operation; these are wind generators. The difference is large, but the source is abundant. I think they're not only beautiful, but necessary to provide electricity for our ever-increasing, and wasteful, population. Unless you live off-the-grid, these are our saviors--and they provide good local property tax income. I would love one in my back yard.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 AM

414 posts, read 927,960 times
Most of the West US states is more beautiful than Iowa. I moved here just because to live with my girlfriend not for Iowa. I just find it boring, not really lot of scenery features, most of the state is cornfield and soybeans. Forests mostly in Northeast and other parts of the state which is a small percentage of the state. Of course, most of the state is prairie grasslands (before farms were established).

I think wind generators are a nice addition because every time we drive past the wind farms, we look at them turning the shafts to produce emission-free electricity produced by the wind. there is huge one up North of Iowa Falls between Mason City and Iowa Falls. A good sized one nearby I-35 north of Ames.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:29 PM

19,327 posts, read 32,177,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
Most of the West US states is more beautiful than Iowa. .
You would like visiting the Northwoods of MN, WI, and MI in the Upper Midwest. Not as "dramatic" as areas of the West, but still much more interesting than the Corn Belt.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You would like visiting the Northwoods of MN, WI, and MI in the Upper Midwest. Not as "dramatic" as areas of the West, but still much more interesting than the Corn Belt.
I can believe that. I have never been to the upper parts of the Midwest.. someday we will. The scenery around Lake Superior, coast of Lake Michigan in North Michigan, Transverse City area, etc. Those area looks interesting to check out.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:43 PM

19,327 posts, read 32,177,298 times
Quote:
I can believe that. I have never been to the upper parts of the Midwest.. someday we will. The scenery around Lake Superior, coast of Lake Michigan in North Michigan, Transverse City area, etc. Those area looks interesting to check out.
The closest would be the northwoods of WI. Not really that far of a car trip from northern IA according to google maps.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:43 AM

14 posts, read 30,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
... those giant windmills everywhere are gawd-awful eyesores! What a shameful atrocity! My Iowa friends say they cost more to build and maintain than they return in actual energy, and the only reason they are there is that the property owners get tax breaks for allowing them. What's the opinion of most Iowans?
Property owners also get about $4000 a year in rent for each fan placed on their property. I know one person who lives in Nevada that has 3 on one farm and 3 on another. All six are in eastern Story and Southern Hardin County so he doesn't even have look at the "Terra Horrible" things.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
Property owners also get about $4000 a year in rent for each fan placed on their property. I know one person who lives in Nevada that has 3 on one farm and 3 on another. All six are in eastern Story and Southern Hardin County so he doesn't even have look at the "Terra Horrible" things.
That's $333 a month extra into their income for just one wind generator.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:57 AM

41,572 posts, read 39,317,656 times
Quote:
That's $333 a month extra into their income for just one wind generator.
We should get behind things like windmills. There's money to be made, and it could be helpful for the economy.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We should get behind things like windmills. There's money to be made, and it could be helpful for the economy.
Radio/cell phone towers on farm properties are income to farmers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa