Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:54 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Most Scenic things in Iowa are the signs along I-35 and I-80 that say Welcome to Minnesota, & Welcome to Illinois.
Illinois? Illinois is 10 times more flat and boring than driving through Iowa in my opinion. At least Iowa is rolling hills. Illinois is awful every time. Minnesota certainly isn't that hot either when you cross the border. Looks exactly like Iowa until you get up way north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 03:09 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
!-80 is definitely not the most fun stretch of the state. When you get off the interstate there are some pretty areas. The Greenbelt in Hardin County (closer to !-35) is especially gorgeous in the fall. I've been told northeast Iowa is the prettiest part of the state, but I haven't been there in over 20 years. Aside from Kum and Go signs you also see Casey's signs everywhere. They have good pizza.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:38 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
All interstate's in Iowa are 70 miles an hour, except in urban areas like Davenport, Des Moines, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, etc. where it drops down to 65mph. The same as every state in the country as far as urban areas being a little lower than rural areas. I-235, the freeway through the middle of Des Moines, is the only exception with a speed limit of 60mph. I ride them all the time, and most people tend to cruise about 5mph over the speed limit.
I'm 99% sure 235 goes down to 55 mph for a while. Not that anyone has gone that slow fir years...

Old 07-29-2011, 04:40 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I'm 99% sure 235 goes down to 55 mph for a while. Not that anyone has gone that slow fir years...
Yep, it does right downtown

Old 07-30-2011, 01:51 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Most Scenic things in Iowa are the signs along I-35 and I-80 that say Welcome to Minnesota, & Welcome to Illinois.

I'd except a bit more from a forum moderator.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:23 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post

I'd except a bit more from a forum moderator.
Uh I think it was a joke...

Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 AM

659 posts, read 1,102,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Illinois? Illinois is 10 times more flat and boring than driving through Iowa in my opinion. At least Iowa is rolling hills. Illinois is awful every time. Minnesota certainly isn't that hot either when you cross the border. Looks exactly like Iowa until you get up way north.
Having just driven through both states this last week, I concur. Both states are much more interesting the closer you are to the river. Whiteside and of course Jo Daviess counties in IL are very pretty, but it starts to get a lot flatter and more boring as you go east. Also I got aggravated by the fact that there didn't seem to be more than 5 miles of any given stretch of I-90 between Chicago and Rockford that wasn't under construction, but that's just the time of year I guess.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1) Not sure where you were driving but a lot of the interestates have the same 70mph as others around there.

2) It's not their fault you decided to interpret Kum as not being phonetic to Come.

3) If you want scenic you generally should leave the interstate. I can assure having made that drive many times that the trip across IL would be no better, ditto for heading south from IA as well.
Most of the states around Iowa have interstate speed limits of 75 mph. Trust me, it makes a difference!

I agree with your other two points, though. If one is looking for scenery, in most cases they should get off the interstate, regardless of which state they are in. There's a reason they put them in the flattest, most "boring" parts of the state!

Kum & Go is in Nebraska too. I'd chuckle every now and then but it's no big deal.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Most of the states around Iowa have interstate speed limits of 75 mph. Trust me, it makes a difference!
If by most, you mean two...

6 states border Iowa.

2 have speed limits SLOWER than ours (Wisconsin and Illinios)
2 have faster (NE and S Dakota)
2 have the same (MN and Missouri).

Bottomline: for the midwest, Iowa falls right in the middle regarding speed limits on rural interstates.

Map of maximum posted speed limits on rural interstates

Old 08-03-2011, 11:12 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
If by most, you mean two...

6 states border Iowa.

2 have speed limits SLOWER than ours (Wisconsin and Illinios)
2 have faster (NE and S Dakota)
2 have the same (MN and Missouri).

Bottomline: for the midwest, Iowa falls right in the middle regarding speed limits on rural interstates.

Map of maximum posted speed limits on rural interstates

Hmmmm....I guess I thought Missouri was higher because that's what I drive.

Maximum limits of 65 mph on the interstate??? Good lord. It just so happens the two states I drive across most regularly are NE and SD. Looks like the better states to drive across are in the west (for the most part).

I don't much care for interstate driving in Iowa. I-80 is okay, but 29 SUCKS. The least they could do is let you drive a little faster to get through it quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa