U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,592 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are entertaining a possible relocation and have the opportunity to choose to live in either Dubuque or Quad Cities. We have 2 small children who will be entering school soon, so school districts are a major factor. We are originally from Milwaukee and are die hard Badger fans, so Dubuque's proximity to Madison is a real plus but not a complete deciding factor. We have visited Dubuque as tourists, and while it is beautful, I want to be sure it has enough going for it otherwise to edge out the QC, probably LeClaire/Bettendorf area. For some reason I'm leery of Dubuque. We are familiar with QC and like the area a lot. I guess I am looking for a little insight on the "friendly factor" and other characteristics of the towns that can't be found through statistics. We are active and enjoy community events like festivals and farmers markets, etc. We move around a lot, but this could be a final move if we find we love it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 PM

509 posts, read 923,760 times
Most people seem like they have to obtain employment before they would commit to moving to a locale.

That being said, I think both locations have their benefits. I think the country around Dubuque is prettier and there are more places to hike/bike in woodsy areas. I'm sure the farmers market in Davenport is better than anything Dubuque has. People in Dubuque are more "country"; just go in to a local wal-mart in both places and you will see a distinct difference in the way folks act/dress/etc. I think there is more "stuff" like festivals and such going on in the Quad Cities.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM

426 posts, read 1,130,654 times
QC has a lot more events, festivals, and other things to do than Dubuque. Nothing aginst Dubuque, but the Quad Cities just has a larger population base. In terms of schools, I would say both are about the same; however, I would check out any individual elementary school as some differ on educational achievement based on where they are located in their respective towns. You mention Bettendorf and many people would agree that is probably the better city to live in the QC than any other.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:16 PM

4,359 posts, read 5,281,888 times
Living in the QCA will be good as far as driving to Iowa City, cuz you'll be Hawkeye lovin' and Badger hatin' in no time.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 PM

116 posts, read 303,932 times
i dont know where you work but you should live close where you work. as for towns, id choose quad city due to close proximity to interstate highways and it has direct highway connection to chicago. dubuque has annoying country roads, especially between galena and freeport. plus its closer to amtrak station.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 7,592 times
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. My husband's position will have him spending 50/50 time in both Dubuque and QC, which is why we can decide where we want to live. We currently live in DSM, so we have experienced the Badger hatin', but actually, things are pretty tame on that end because most Hawk fans would prefer to hate ISU and the new Cy-Hawk trophy!

Thanks again!

Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 PM

116 posts, read 303,932 times
Quad city is little more liberal and close to iowa city- cultural destination of Eastern Iowa. Little nore diversity there. Dubuque is pretty conservative town, i see billboard displays against abortions. Pretty much disturbing for me.

However dubuque is closer to madison, wi so you would have closer commute to large city. Qdc and cr are large but not large enough to pffer big city amenieties. And Madison is bigger than DM.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 PM

988 posts, read 1,089,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_blguy87 View Post
Quad city is little more liberal and close to iowa city- cultural destination of Eastern Iowa. Little nore diversity there. Dubuque is pretty conservative town, i see billboard displays against abortions. Pretty much disturbing for me.

However dubuque is closer to madison, wi so you would have closer commute to large city. Qdc and cr are large but not large enough to pffer big city amenieties. And Madison is bigger than DM.
Umm, no it's not. Metro-wise they're neck and neck, and last I checked DSM has the lead, and even if in reality Madison's metro is bigger it's negligible at best.

Madison, WI- 561,505 (2010 census)
Des Moines, IA - 562,906 (2009 est.)

Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 PM

123 posts, read 203,091 times
Default QC by far

I know both places quite well and the Quads have Dubuque beat easily - hands down. The job market in the QC's is actually very good. As far as towns, live in Moline. The best schools by far it "draws" the best teachers because it is the highest paying school district downstate of the Chicago burbs...You can get a great house in Moline as it is a buyers market..Good luck..

Old 09-28-2011, 03:02 AM

4 posts, read 8,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckysgirl View Post
My husband and I are entertaining a possible relocation and have the opportunity to choose to live in either Dubuque or Quad Cities. We have 2 small children who will be entering school soon, so school districts are a major factor. We are originally from Milwaukee and are die hard Badger fans, so Dubuque's proximity to Madison is a real plus but not a complete deciding factor. We have visited Dubuque as tourists, and while it is beautful, I want to be sure it has enough going for it otherwise to edge out the QC, probably LeClaire/Bettendorf area. For some reason I'm leery of Dubuque. We are familiar with QC and like the area a lot. I guess I am looking for a little insight on the "friendly factor" and other characteristics of the towns that can't be found through statistics. We are active and enjoy community events like festivals and farmers markets, etc. We move around a lot, but this could be a final move if we find we love it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
i am originally from the qc, davenport to be exact, born and raised and now living in dubuque, dubuque doesnt have quite as much to do and not very diverse, dubuque has always been a conservative type of town and everyone seems to be a bit racist to me against eachother, tho it has safer areas then most of the quad cities has and also has some good local restraunts also that only exist in the city of dubuque such as pickle barrel subs, marcos italian restraunt, marios italian restraunt, and many chinese and mexican places, there is also good scenery in dubuque cuz of the hills, bluffs and river but qc has that scenic river view also, not to mention both places have great parks to...i would say they both have their ups and downs, moline and bettendorf would be much better then davenport or rock island but both places have their ups and downs i guess, me personally tho, id much rather live sumplace else in the world tho then either places LOL i lived here way too long
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa