Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:06 PM

116 posts, read 384,311 times

Advertisements

move to Minnesota st. paul area or Illinois, preferably Chicago suburbs. Naperville has very good public schools in area. Of course everything there is little more expensive, but there is more excitement. If you have family there, you're gonna be still within driving distance for less than half day. Iowa is overrated as best and safest place to raise kids or family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 06:25 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_blguy87 View Post
move to Minnesota st. paul area or Illinois, preferably Chicago suburbs. Naperville has very good public schools in area. Of course everything there is little more expensive, but there is more excitement. If you have family there, you're gonna be still within driving distance for less than half day. Iowa is overrated as best and safest place to raise kids or family.

The OP ask about Iowa,hunting and fishing and you throw Naperville out there?

Way to bring good info to the thread!

Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 7,346 times
My family is getting ready to move back to Iowa after a 7 year hiatus by year-end. My husband's entire family lives there and we have done research on the schools. My husband will be working in Ames (where we went to college) but we are leaning toward Ankeny just because the housing style is moreso in line with what we have grown accustomed to and the schools in Ankeny are great. Interesting that you picked 3 cities in the middle of Iowa and one area on the eastern edge - unless you will work for Deere. Of those, I would go with Johnston but have admittedly never been to Grimes. I am not a hunter so I can't help you out on that.

I have friends that used to live in my current area that now live in Johnston and I visited them. Whoever said that there is a small town feel to Johnston is right on. My friends said that they can get to downtown DSM in about 15-20 minutes which is a HUGE improvement (like half off suburban Indianapolis commute to downtown). They live in an area being developed and it really feels like it is out in the middle of nowhere. From one of the sources I looked at, Johnston had the best rated schools in the state.

One of my husband's brothers lives in the Quad Cities (Bettendorf, specifically) and lived in Davenport before that. They moved just to get into the Pleasant Valley School District. They said it was the best in the Quad Cities but I haven't researched that because we aren't moving to that area.

As for Des Moines, school districts will be hit or miss just like they are with any other metro area.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:28 PM

116 posts, read 384,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
The OP ask about Iowa,hunting and fishing and you throw Naperville out there?

Way to bring good info to the thread!
Illinois has hunting club and licenses. If they wanna feel like in Iowa but stay close to big city, they could move to Dwight or Kankakee. I see the family indicated they were raised there and have there family so I no longer wonder why they wanna settle down in IA. That's very common. I wish them good luck.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdj7 View Post
My family and I plan on relocating to Iowa next year. We are looking at Johnston, Grimes, Quad Cities and Des Moines. We have two children that will be attending elementary school. I was wondering how the schools are, what the housing market is like, what the hunting is like, and any other info anyone could provide. Thank you.

Schools are very good in Johnston, Grimes and the west side of Des Moines. I would avoid the east and northeast. Quad Cities- look to Bettendorf or PV. If you are in the Davenport proper, consider the McClellan Heights area.

Housing- cheaper in the Quad Cities. Anywhere in Des Moines will be more expensive, even when you get to smaller adjacent towns like Bondurant and Grimes.

Hunting- Pheasants are wiped out in Iowa. Deer and turkey are VERY plentiful. Best places? South of I-80 and roughly east of Des Moines. The best deer hunting is directly south toward Albia. Turkey are EVERYWHERE.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 PM

40 posts, read 117,783 times
Jobs?

Old 11-23-2011, 11:19 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisedupmom View Post
Jobs?
Which part of the state? City or rural?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa