U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:34 AM

5,400 posts, read 8,147,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by labpackmom View Post
I like South Central Iowa for a live and let live type of culture. As in South of Des Moines, (Winterset, Knoxville, Osceola, Albia areas). Most people do drive to Des Moines for work, depending on their field. Lots of hills, trees, sparkling farm ponds, and hawks in the sky. Lots of wild life and state parks and forests. Around Lake Rathbun also, but a longer drive to Des Moines. Property is pretty reasonable, taxes are creeping up a bit, but still not bad. Check out Iowa Realty site, they listings in most of those towns. Kind of a Christian Conservative area, but where you're welcome to join in, but not required too in order to fit in. Trespassing on one's ground still isn't considered cool, sometimes it isn't even safe. Ha-funny, I noticed what you are encountering in KC when I lived there. I got "hit on" every place I went, when it was the very last thing on my mind. At grocery stores, while gassing the car, shopping at Hypermart, etc. Yeah, it's weird. :-) Good luck. It is kind of tough to find a place to fit in these days.
Yeah, I really like the availability of hiking, camping and fishing areas in the state. Sounds like snowmobiling in the winter may be tough though I guess I can pass on that as long as there is good hiking around. I like Ledges State Park near Boone. While it is not really on par with the hillier and mountainous forests and trails in New England, it is still an excellent spot to hike in a very scenic area of the Midwest.

I'm a Lutheran and still belong to the same church that my mother and her parents belonged to since they came to this country during the Great Depression. I doubt I will change my church at this point in my life and as long as I don't have people trying to convert me over to their lifestyle then there won't be a problem. I've run into that in the KC area. A couple of religious denominations have tried to convert me to their way of life and also morally bankrupt non religious people have tried to "corrupt" my values and change me.

The women in the KC area are messed up but I guess that is directly due to the fact that the men here are even worse. But any woman that is so full of herself that she thinks a guy is hitting on her simply because he talks to her about unimportant small talk while standing in line at a store or restaurant or even at work needs some psychological help. Men don't carry on like this in New England and it is possible to have a real conversation of some meaning with a person of the opposite sex without having to wonder whether or not the other party's only intent is to get "involved". That will come naturally if two people are on the same wave length. I've found the best way to combat this problem is to simply not talk to most of the women in the KC area anymore. Except for a select few that I have been talking to for a few years, I don't even bother talking to anyone else especially those that are too aggressive and hitting on me or are rude and obnoxious or have a personality and attitude that rubs me the wrong way.

It sounds like Iowa is a better match for me. I guess this is why I have had several people recommend the state to me over the years. It's a fairly large state and I have more research to do. Winterset sounds like a pretty nice community and I will look into it. Once I know how much money I will have to spend to buy a home again (paying cash for a fixer upper, no mortgage) then I will develop a short list of places that match most of the criteria I've set for a place to live for my next home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 21,086 times
Funny that you mention Cincinnati. That is the complete opposite of what you are looking for.

90% Catholic, Conservative, and anyone who's ever lived there dies there. When someone meets you, they ask what High School you went to. Seriously. I've heard Cincinnati compared to Kansas City -- lots of plastic, McMansion suburbs where people are scared to go into the city.

I've lived in Davenport for 1.5 years now and like it. Maybe a little light on decent restaurants or things to do, but a good community with enough amenities for a metro it's size.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,987,234 times
There's no shortage of overbearing neighbors in Iowa...don't shovel the sidewalk on time..they might tell on you.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiowa View Post
Funny that you mention Cincinnati. That is the complete opposite of what you are looking for.

90% Catholic, Conservative, and anyone who's ever lived there dies there. When someone meets you, they ask what High School you went to. Seriously. I've heard Cincinnati compared to Kansas City -- lots of plastic, McMansion suburbs where people are scared to go into the city.

I've lived in Davenport for 1.5 years now and like it. Maybe a little light on decent restaurants or things to do, but a good community with enough amenities for a metro it's size.
I'm a Lutheran and a Conservative/Libertarian with most of my social stances and political views. If I were to move to the Cincinnati area it would be on the Kentucky side. People have recommended that part of the area over the Ohio side. During my visits to the area people have been friendly and welcoming. From that respect it has not been like Kansas City.

I have a real challenge in finding just the right place because I intend to start up a flea powered AM radio station. Finding the right market for this low power radio station is a job unto itself. Since it won't generate a lot of income I have to access to full time employment as well. Davenport has a lot of radio already and I doubt I could find a niche for the kind of station I'd like to develop. Aside from that I know it would be a good area because an old friend from my High School days in Connecticut has lived there for at least 20 years with his wife, a local gal.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
There's no shortage of overbearing neighbors in Iowa...don't shovel the sidewalk on time..they might tell on you.
I doubt every town in Iowa is like that. I would not see a problem with a couple of inches of snow left on the walks but if we're talking half a foot then yes, I too would have a problem. It is usually the responsibility of the homeowner to clear the walk in front of his home.

To date, I've seen more lying, thieving, backstabbing behavior in the people from the Kansas City area than any other place I've lived. Bar none, these people are just plain miserable and nasty.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:24 PM

116 posts, read 304,001 times
It's funny about the fact what you speak about KC, when google is running pilot fiber to the home project where it probably becomes its own tv, high speed and VoIP provider. And everyone knows how google is liberal and what is their benefits package.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:52 PM

116 posts, read 304,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post

You've heard people talk about "Minnesota nice", where people will smile to your face, not really speak their mind or warm up to a new comer right away. I guess that's a Scandinavian related thing.
Speaking for immigrants, most of them find that all people they meet in States, in their new country, are like that. Its very annoying. They even find that with people of their own ancestry, especially if they were born here and think themselves of as "true American".

Its even worse when you try to meet new people and they ask you about accent. It really disrupts building rapport and having a chance to get to know somebody. One side, wants to start with small talk, and other already asks deep personal questions. Somebody wants to know so much about you, but you don't know if you meet that person again.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_blguy87 View Post
Speaking for immigrants, most of them find that all people they meet in States, in their new country, are like that. Its very annoying. They even find that with people of their own ancestry, especially if they were born here and think themselves of as "true American".

Its even worse when you try to meet new people and they ask you about accent. It really disrupts building rapport and having a chance to get to know somebody. One side, wants to start with small talk, and other already asks deep personal questions. Somebody wants to know so much about you, but you don't know if you meet that person again.
I think this depends upon the area you've moved to. There town where I am from in Connecticut has quite a number of people that were born in other countries. The International Skating Center of Connecticut is also located there and many famous, international skating stars have trained there and called our town home in the past.

In a town like that if you speak with a foreign accent people generally don't think much about it and won't make it an issue. I will on occasion ask someone where they are from if the accent is not familiar but aside from being curious about where they are from, I don't make it an issue.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 PM

6 posts, read 11,557 times
Non-Conformist, Live and let live, Cheap, Libertarian= South Central Iowa. Trust me. Clarke, Lucas, Decatur, Wayne County area. And it is warmer, pretty and sparsely populated. The main towns in those counties have a Lutheran Church, but for heavy duty Lutherans you have to go up north. Based on your criteria, avoid Western (Esp. Northwestern) Iowa. They are a different kind of churchy.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaTraveller View Post
Non-Conformist, Live and let live, Cheap, Libertarian= South Central Iowa. Trust me. Clarke, Lucas, Decatur, Wayne County area. And it is warmer, pretty and sparsely populated. The main towns in those counties have a Lutheran Church, but for heavy duty Lutherans you have to go up north. Based on your criteria, avoid Western (Esp. Northwestern) Iowa. They are a different kind of churchy.
Thanks. I've only visited the area near Leon to do some hiking in a local state park there but I did not get a bad vibe there and people seemed OK. The proprietor at the motel where I stayed was friendly. I will do some more research on these counties and see what I am able to find. I've got a place in northern Minnesota that interests me and that is already on my short list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa