U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2012, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,976 times

Advertisements

My husband may be taking a job in Sioux City. I've never been but all I hear are negative things about it. We live in Ankeny (North of Des Moines) which is a very clean, upscale community. I love old houses though and there really aren't any in Ankeny! I'm just scared of moving there and it being horrible! Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Sioux City????
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:00 PM

5,091 posts, read 3,286,091 times
Here is a fairly recent thread about Sioux City that may answer some of your questions. Good Luck.

We are definitely moving to Sioux City, need Info!!!!!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 PM

114 posts, read 117,323 times
No it's not bad. Of course it's a matter of opinion. There are some very nice parts, and some not so nice parts, like all cities. The is sadly some large negativity about it mainly from life long residents. But it is a nice town. Over the past ten years, things have changed for the better. The restored Orpheum and the Tyson Events Center have added entertainment options. Redevelopment is happening downtown, lofts are starting to appear, first in a 100 year old former warehouse, and now the top floors of a 40 year old office building. Lakeport Commons has given SC stores such as Best Buy, Kohl's, and others that were not there before. The smell, where Sewer City comes from is much better then it used to be with the closing of the John Morroll plant, and upgrades to the water treatment facility that has been outdated for 2 decades. There are some downsides of course, but overall it is a nice place to live and you should look into it.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,976 times
Thank you everyone!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:48 PM

530 posts, read 760,740 times
Iowans kick ***.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 PM

933 posts, read 997,850 times
Sioux city's downtown/riverfront view is always very impressive (terrain, buildings etc) when I drive through it.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:12 PM

5,091 posts, read 3,286,091 times
You might find this article interesting as it talks about SC's downtown, past, present and future.
ZERSCHLING: What downtown was, can become

Old 03-18-2012, 02:51 PM

2,737 posts, read 1,160,213 times
Sioux City is an old stockyards & packing plant river town. That means the downtown was dirty and rough. The packing plants (except perhaps 1) and the stockyards are long since closed, which means the city was economically devastated, and the population declined markedly about 20 years ago.

However, from what I can see, they've worked hard and made some good improvements in some significant areas of the city. I think it's coming back economically, or at least holding its own and doing okay.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,018 times
I would agree with Big George about Sioux City being an old stockyards and packing plant river city. Tyson still has it's beef division there and they operate a huge packing plant on the Nebraska side, but little is left of that way of life. The plant still brings in many foreign immigrant workers and in some cases brings in crime and problems along with them.
The problem with Sioux City is that it's dominated by naysayers and people that resist change and improvement. Rather than finding ways to attract businesses and people to help grow the economy, many city leaders would rather rather concentrate on ways to save pennies and keep things as they are. It really resembles Iowa that way more than South Dakota and Nebraska. Iowa has the same population that it had in the 1960s and mostly loses young and talented people to other states. Nebraska and South Dakota have steadily grown in that time and are attractive to new business opportunities.
The school district has been featured in the new movie "Bully" and not in a positive way from what I understand. It's always been a rough, blue collar town and I wouldn't be comfortable with my kids going to school there. If I had children in school and I had to live there, I'd settle in a neighborhood in Union County (South Dakota) near Dakota Dunes or even Elk Point.

Good Luck

Old 03-31-2012, 09:27 PM

114 posts, read 117,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJayhawk View Post
I would agree with Big George about Sioux City being an old stockyards and packing plant river city. Tyson still has it's beef division there and they operate a huge packing plant on the Nebraska side, but little is left of that way of life. The plant still brings in many foreign immigrant workers and in some cases brings in crime and problems along with them.
The problem with Sioux City is that it's dominated by naysayers and people that resist change and improvement. Rather than finding ways to attract businesses and people to help grow the economy, many city leaders would rather rather concentrate on ways to save pennies and keep things as they are. It really resembles Iowa that way more than South Dakota and Nebraska. Iowa has the same population that it had in the 1960s and mostly loses young and talented people to other states. Nebraska and South Dakota have steadily grown in that time and are attractive to new business opportunities.
The school district has been featured in the new movie "Bully" and not in a positive way from what I understand. It's always been a rough, blue collar town and I wouldn't be comfortable with my kids going to school there. If I had children in school and I had to live there, I'd settle in a neighborhood in Union County (South Dakota) near Dakota Dunes or even Elk Point.

Good Luck
There were 2 schools in Sioux City were filmed at for Bully. However, one of them was not featured in the final film. The reason, they were different. The director admitted that the high school one one side of town was different then the middle school on the other side of town that was in the final film. He mentioned the school's mentoring program and strong leadership. I went to school in Sioux City. There is nothing wrong with it. Unless your afraid of students with unique backgrounds, and yes a few bad students. Overall, I had a great experience going to school in Sioux City from Kindergarden all the way through high school. It's sad that you would be afraid to put your kids in school there, because there is nothing to fear.

Q & A with Director Lee Hirsch | Creating Safe Schools Guide to BULLY Movie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa