Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 AM

116 posts, read 384,353 times

Advertisements

just moved last month from chicago to dubuque. I found a tech job there as QA analyst. Im 25 year old. The job helped me keep my head above water, but city turned out to be not too great fit for me.

First of all I am single gay, and found there is nothing here in terms of gay life, no any gay community. I've met few people around but they don't wanna stick around probably bc they recognize my foreign accent (I'm Romanian) and think I am gay.

I am also a bit geek fan and hate the fact I cannot watch comfortably Hulu or Netflix in HD because internet here is often too slow - tech services here are substandard (mediacom). I know it sounds strange but I "miss" comcast or att. They were expensive too but at least they delivered something. Not too mention Dubuque will be probably last place to get other technological innovations such as LTE (the one verizon brands as 4g since its launch).

I also hate there are no full-staff full service gyms with pools here (except mediocre YMCA) , just few small mostly self-service ones that have almost nobody after 6 pm and no staff. And a lot more people here, including guys are overweight. Finding here athletic men is more because of luck than part of everyday life.

I also crave and miss Chipotle fast food. I found few mexican restaruants but its no longer the same, where you can choose what to make and put on. Almost all food here seems to me fake especially Chinese and Mexican. Why? I know its strange but nothing is spicy! Even salsa here is almost like juice to me.

I am sorry about trashing town. I know there are probably many people who love it here because its nice and beautiful here. Yes it is, its nice and very beautiful place with river and bluffs, I admit. Although for my taste it would be only ideal for summer vacation rather than whole year living.

I will try to come back to Chicago every 3 or 4 weeks. I might do it more often but its not only 3-4h ride one way but it would also cost too much. I looked at map and it is half distance closer to Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Davenport and Madison which are bigger from Dubuque. Maybe I could try to look around there that might be of my interest. Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
First of all, I commend you for moving to a new area to find work. It's tough to do, but many people instead stay with mom and dad or scrape by on a mimimum wage job. Good for you!

Several years ago I moved to Dubuque to find work and did not know a soul. It was tough to meet people but I eventually made some friends with people in my apartment and at work. Got involved with some volleyball games, went out drinking, went out to eat. People in Dubuque are down to earth friendly people and are interested in getting to know you if you are interested in getting to know them.

As far as the gay scene I think there is a club downtown that caters to that demographic. I think it's called one flight up. Nothing like you are used to in chicago I'm sure.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:41 PM

659 posts, read 1,102,022 times
It would definitely be worth your time to make trips to Iowa City, Madison, or even the Twin Cities or Des Moines, if only give yourself a taste of something different.

Dubuque has always struck me as melancholy and even a little creepy, even though it's obviously a beautiful town. I've always had a weird sort of love for it, but it would probably be a different story if I had to live there. For me it was always just a place with cool older buildings and different scenery than most of the rest of Iowa, on the way to or from Galena.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
As far as the gay scene I think there is a club downtown that caters to that demographic. I think it's called one flight up. Nothing like you are used to in chicago I'm sure.
What?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Madison might be a better fit for you and a pretty good chance of landing a tech job there also. Dubuque is what it is and probably will never change.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 09-21-2011, 01:59 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Dubuque to Madison is less than 100 miles.

At the end of the day though, you moved to a town of 60,000 people. It is what it is.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:01 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
What?
I don't get your comment. He asked about gay bars in Dubuque, and someone mentioned the one downtown, named One Flight Up.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,038 times
I'm pretty sure I know where you work, so I'll just say that there are a lot of gays that work there, believe it or not.

Overall though, I guess I agree with you. I came here from VA beach, which (in some parts) is like the Long Beach of the east coast. There was just so much more to do over there than over here.. and there is no underground electronic music scene to be found here in dubuque (house.. drum and bass... trance.. dubstep.. nothing), but again, it's because its a small city and that appeal is limited to big cities, so it's not like I'm surprised. As someone else pointed out, it's quite a low pop. city.

Quote:

I also crave and miss Chipotle fast food. I found few mexican restaruants but its no longer the same, where you can choose what to make and put on. Almost all food here seems to me fake especially Chinese and Mexican. Why? I know its strange but nothing is spicy! Even salsa here is almost like juice to me.
Dubuque isn't exactly ethnically diverse. Hot and Spicy grill on University Ave. has some damn good indian food though. Great curry, and as the name implies, there's spicy food.

But hey, I love the scenery of the place. The countryside is beautiful. If I had a choice, I'd live out in the countryside and just farm or something. Preferably I'd do nothing, just relax and enjoy the solitude, complacency, and picturesque plains.. but with the way the world works, I just can't do that. Darn!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:40 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
At the end of the day though, you moved to a town of 60,000 people. It is what it is.
Yep. You got to make the best of it and enjoy it for what it is. Just like I wouldn't move to Chicago for a low COL, and no traffic or crime to worry about.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:37 PM

116 posts, read 384,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Yep. You got to make the best of it and enjoy it for what it is. Just like I wouldn't move to Chicago for a low COL, and no traffic or crime to worry about.
Well obviously youre not from Chicagoland and probably dont know about living in suburbs.

Col- west end of dubuque and chicago suburbs have similar cost of living especially when u look at cost of rent they are almost similar. And u can now get your own comfortable condo for less tha. $100,000.

Grocery u csn get cheaper too as long ad u dont shop at dominicks or whole foods.

Utilities like cable or internet are cheaper and better bc of competition.

Traffic- mainly only in The city and even then u can take subway.

From suburbs u can take Metra train and relax. Traffic there is really not bad unless you hit rush hour.

Crime- many northern neighborhoods and pparts of suburbs are safe.

Dubuque has unsafe and unplrasant downtown location. Yes housing there is chaper than on west end but u get what u pay for.

Plus nothing beats close access to major hghways and big citiea. Dubuque is located at least 1.5 h away from a major town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa