U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 AM
xFM xFM started this thread

29 posts, read 74,624 times

Advertisements

Hey all! First time posting here. Anyone on here make the move from Boston to the Quad-City area? If so how do you like it? I have a potential job prospect out near Davenport. I've never been to this area so I hope it's not a culture shock (or lack of culture shock)?

I'm a 26 year old male, single, no kids and like to live an active lifestyle. It looks like Chicago is close enough to do a day trip or weekend trip also Any input, advice, or areas to look at around Davenport would greatly be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 PM

4,580 posts, read 5,808,661 times
Excellent bike paths, tons of good parks, lots of gyms and health clubs. Plenty of festivals and bars and night clubs.

But I got to ask, is this job offer a step up in your career type of offer? Enough money being offered that you can't afford to pass it up type of offer?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Excellent bike paths, tons of good parks, lots of gyms and health clubs. Plenty of festivals and bars and night clubs.

But I got to ask, is this job offer a step up in your career type of offer? Enough money being offered that you can't afford to pass it up type of offer?
The job would be a big step in my career ladder. I would be working out at the Quad-City Nuclear Generating Station.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 AM

509 posts, read 978,145 times
Hmm. The nuke plant is (understandably) a bit remote.

That is a tough one. It is said that Illinois taxes might get high here shortly so my personal opinion would be to move somewhere in Iowa. Most of the people who are moving to the area at my workplace (which is in Illinois) are choosing to reside in Iowa, but not everyone. 75% though at least.

I wouldn't suggest moving to Clinton. It is a bit... dirty. You might like it though and a house would certainly be cheaper there.

Le Claire is fairly close and right next to a bridge across the Mississippi. That town has ben investing in itself and now is kind of a little bustling tourist attraction. Lots of new housing developments and trendy little shops/eateries.

Or of course you could move to the Quad Cities area proper, but for me that commute would kill. On the other hand, be prepared to be amazed at how little traffic there is around these parts after living in a truly giant city. After living in California cities and Houston, I appreciate it almost every day. It is awesome.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
Hmm. The nuke plant is (understandably) a bit remote.

That is a tough one. It is said that Illinois taxes might get high here shortly so my personal opinion would be to move somewhere in Iowa. Most of the people who are moving to the area at my workplace (which is in Illinois) are choosing to reside in Iowa, but not everyone. 75% though at least.

I wouldn't suggest moving to Clinton. It is a bit... dirty. You might like it though and a house would certainly be cheaper there.

Le Claire is fairly close and right next to a bridge across the Mississippi. That town has ben investing in itself and now is kind of a little bustling tourist attraction. Lots of new housing developments and trendy little shops/eateries.

Or of course you could move to the Quad Cities area proper, but for me that commute would kill. On the other hand, be prepared to be amazed at how little traffic there is around these parts after living in a truly giant city. After living in California cities and Houston, I appreciate it almost every day. It is awesome.

Thanks for the input, Clinton does appear closer (but not as nice). I would rather live closer to the major metro area (Davenport). Is the commute really that bad? On paper (google maps) it says it would only take 38 minutes (30 miles) from Davenport proper to the Nuclear facility. That is nothing!! I am used to traffic in Boston and Miami, sometime's it takes that long just to nudge your way up a few exits! I could certainly deal with a 40 minute commute no problem.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:14 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,070,616 times
IL and IA are both in the heart of the Beef and Grain Belt. IA and IL are #1 and #2 in corn production in America. It will be culture shock to move from Boston to the middle of cornfields. Chicago is a 3-4 hour drive, or 6 hours by train from Davenport. Transit in the City is very good. Davenport to St. Louis is about an hour farther to drive or 8.5 hours by train. At this point in time, if you are a Trader Joe's, Costco or Whole Foods fan you will only find it in Chicago or St. Louis. It will change this fall when TJ's comes to the Peoria area - about 1.5 hours SSE of the Quad Cities.

IL state income tax is a flat 5%. Iowa state income tax varies from 0% to 8.98%.
Iowa Income Tax Rates and Tax Brackets, 2011-2012

You are going to work in Rock Island County, IL in the City of Cordova. Village of Cordova, Illinois
Cordova is approx. 17 miles N of Rock Island; Davenport is about 10 miles further. There are two things to consider here. The Mississippi River floods; the aftermath can be very messy. The other consideration is how many miles are you willing to drive on icy snow covered roads in the winter? IL is notorious for not clearing county roads; state highways are hit and miss.

There is a big difference between the East Coast and the Midwest. Age and maturity being the biggest difference. The vibe is much different, too, but people are people and you should find a niche without any trouble as the folks around the Quad Cities are very friendly and down to earth without a lot of hidden agenda. .
Here's a little bit about Clinton, IA. http://www.ci.clinton.ia.us/

PS: All river cities are a bit dingy and maybe even a bit dodgy because of what they are. But nevertheless there is a lot of good stuff going on in the river cities -- much of what you miss if you don't poke in the corners and explore.
Good luck and WELCOME!

Old 06-19-2012, 04:39 PM

332 posts, read 602,183 times
Just a quick note-if you are a runner, you will be in heaven! The Quad Cities has a great running community, with the Cornbelt Running Club. You will be able to run the Bix road race in the summer and the Quad City Marathon in the fall.

Also, when I lived there I had a friend that worked at the Nuclear plant. He lived in NW Davenport and I never heard him complain about the drive.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
IL and IA are both in the heart of the Beef and Grain Belt. IA and IL are #1 and #2 in corn production in America. It will be culture shock to move from Boston to the middle of cornfields. Chicago is a 3-4 hour drive, or 6 hours by train from Davenport. Transit in the City is very good. Davenport to St. Louis is about an hour farther to drive or 8.5 hours by train. At this point in time, if you are a Trader Joe's, Costco or Whole Foods fan you will only find it in Chicago or St. Louis. It will change this fall when TJ's comes to the Peoria area - about 1.5 hours SSE of the Quad Cities.

IL state income tax is a flat 5%. Iowa state income tax varies from 0% to 8.98%.
Iowa Income Tax Rates and Tax Brackets, 2011-2012

You are going to work in Rock Island County, IL in the City of Cordova. Village of Cordova, Illinois
Cordova is approx. 17 miles N of Rock Island; Davenport is about 10 miles further. There are two things to consider here. The Mississippi River floods; the aftermath can be very messy. The other consideration is how many miles are you willing to drive on icy snow covered roads in the winter? IL is notorious for not clearing county roads; state highways are hit and miss.

There is a big difference between the East Coast and the Midwest. Age and maturity being the biggest difference. The vibe is much different, too, but people are people and you should find a niche without any trouble as the folks around the Quad Cities are very friendly and down to earth without a lot of hidden agenda. .
Here's a little bit about Clinton, IA. Homepage

PS: All river cities are a bit dingy and maybe even a bit dodgy because of what they are. But nevertheless there is a lot of good stuff going on in the river cities -- much of what you miss if you don't poke in the corners and explore.
Good luck and WELCOME!

Thanks for the information and links to research!

Quote:
Just a quick note-if you are a runner, you will be in heaven! The Quad Cities has a great running community, with the Cornbelt Running Club. You will be able to run the Bix road race in the summer and the Quad City Marathon in the fall.

Also, when I lived there I had a friend that worked at the Nuclear plant. He lived in NW Davenport and I never heard him complain about the drive.
Yes I am a runner! That's good news. The more a read about the area the more I am liking it and ready to pull the trigger. Not to mention the cost of living is so much cheaper than Boston. Quad city looks like it has a lot happening, but not as congested and fast paced like Boston. Would be nice be able to slow down for once and enjoy life

Old 06-19-2012, 07:17 PM

412 posts, read 1,505,365 times
I'd suggest checking out this old Quad City photo thread for an idea of some of the cultural amenities available.

Quad City Photo Thread

You'll notice none of the pictures include any cornfields, because despite some people's stereotypes, we don't live in barns in the QC.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,070,616 times
Oops! I hope I didn't mention barns. No one inside the cities, as far as I know, actually lives in a barn. As the OP travels on I-80 say to the Amana Colonies or even to Chicago, he will notice the concrete jungle and traffic give way to open roads with less traffic. He may notice John Deere tractors in the fields, crops growing, or even cows grazing. I am quite positive he will in Illinois. He will see plenty of it as he drives between Chicago and Cordova.

The last time I looked Iowa had over 90,000 farming families I'm pretty sure they all have barns for equipment. Most farmers do; farm theft is big business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or