U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:38 PM

7 posts, read 10,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Its not like the state is crawling with perverts.
Quote:
As to the number of registered sex offenders, I think Iowa does a pretty good job of keeping the registry up-to-date which probably boosts the number. I also think that they consider a lot of things "sex crimes" that other states don't.
THAT is what I was hoping to hear! ANd I agree that Minneapolis probably has more than 24 offenders. Just glad to hear that it is probably just as "safe" as where I live now.

Pella seems to be getting the most votes. We will probably have to lean toward Altoona only because the proximity will be closer to the family we are moving away from. It will be a 50 min shorter drive to go back to visit and to have visitors come to us. If the school districts are pretty close, or at least both are good districts, then I think that may be a deciding factor. So many things to consider!

Thank you SO much for the responses! I am already impressed with the way that Iowans go about helping and advising strangers! Makes me less anxious for the people I will encounter

Keep the advice coming! I can use all I can get!

THANK YOU!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,997,339 times
I'm not sure where you got your information, but the Minnesota Department of Corrections lists ~115 sex offenders for Minneapolis, and that's specifically of the Level 3 Predatory Offender variety.

Level 3 Predatory Offender Information

Whether that makes you feel better about Iowa, or worse about MN, I'll leave up to you.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 PM

well that makes more sense to me, 1stpontiac.

I just typed in "crime rates in Iowa" and got a website that had all cities from all over the country. I got all my info from that one place. Thanks for the more accurate info.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:51 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,997,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2IA View Post
well that makes more sense to me, 1stpontiac.

I just typed in "crime rates in Iowa" and got a website that had all cities from all over the country. I got all my info from that one place. Thanks for the more accurate info.
I saw that City-data actually has the 333 number for Des Moines, but as others have said, I'm sure there are differences in reporting standards between states, i.e. the "Level 3 Predatory" status that the MN Dept of Corrections lists versus maybe lower levels that are included in Des Moines.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:28 PM

8,880 posts, read 15,639,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I saw that City-data actually has the 333 number for Des Moines, but as others have said, I'm sure there are differences in reporting standards between states, i.e. the "Level 3 Predatory" status that the MN Dept of Corrections lists versus maybe lower levels that are included in Des Moines.
City-data's numbers are a little dated. According to the official registry, the city of Des Moines currently has 444 registered sex offenders, but only 87 are Tier 1. Polk County has 523 total and 108 Tier 1.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 PM

20,987 posts, read 15,296,258 times
Admittedly I don't follow this stuff fully, but I did notice a large amount of sex offenders on an iPhone app I've used in the past. There did seem to be far more than where I came from, even if you control for people per square mile. However, a lot of the charges were indecent exposure. This could have been no more than a guy having too many beers at a bar stopping to **** in an alley.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I am so glad to hear that the schools are excellent there. Since the academic part of my question is answered I will ask the social part. How is it for kids moving into districts? Is it hard to fit in? Do the other students accept new students quickly and easily? Is there a lot of bullying? (more than what unfortunately is considered typical?)

My biggest concern for moving is the welfare of my children. I want them to be able to make new friends Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on that.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 AM

8,677 posts, read 8,861,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Admittedly I don't follow this stuff fully, but I did notice a large amount of sex offenders on an iPhone app I've used in the past. There did seem to be far more than where I came from, even if you control for people per square mile. However, a lot of the charges were indecent exposure. This could have been no more than a guy having too many beers at a bar stopping to **** in an alley.
Yep. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think if someone does something stupid like mooning someone, they could also be charged with indecent exposure...landing them on the sex offender list. I also know a guy from high school on the list. He was 18 and his girlfriend was 16. They dated for 2 years, and when he turned 18 her parents charged him with statutory rape. He is also on the sex offender list.

So filter out all the stuff like that and the number gets much smaller.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:58 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,905,967 times
Indianola might be a good option. Easy access to Des Moines (not much farther away than Altoona and much closer than Pella). Population might be more moderate and open to newcomers than Pella as well. Like many small Iowa towns it has a private liberal arts college too.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 PM

8,880 posts, read 15,639,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2IA View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I am so glad to hear that the schools are excellent there. Since the academic part of my question is answered I will ask the social part. How is it for kids moving into districts? Is it hard to fit in? Do the other students accept new students quickly and easily? Is there a lot of bullying? (more than what unfortunately is considered typical?)

My biggest concern for moving is the welfare of my children. I want them to be able to make new friends Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on that.
Acclimating into any of the Metro districts shouldn't be a problem. People move in and out of those districts pretty frequently for various reasons so it's highly unlikely they would be the only new kids in their respective classes. We left the area while our daughter was a preschooler so I don't have any first-hand experience, but I worked in a big box store where we had a lot of managers transfer in and out on their way up the ladder and none of them reported problems of any kind. This would have been mainly in the Ankeny, SE Polk, North Polk, and Bondurant-Farrar districts.

Speaking of Ankeny, I'm curious why you didn't mention Ankeny as a town you're considering. If I work moving back to the area with a family that would probably be the first city I'd look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa