U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 PM

656 posts, read 901,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
To walk through the Main street will take you about 20-30 minutes, but if you like to window shop and try food samples, it will take longer There are a lot of historical places (homes) in the area. Several generals from the Civil War retired there (Ulysses Grant being one of them). It is maybe a little out of your way if you go to Madison, but not by much (20 minutes?).
You must go blazing through there. Whenever my family went when I was a kid we'd never be there for less than 3 hours. Granted, there's a lot of window shopping, but that's kind of the point. Of course for us Galena was 3 hours away, so it sort of didn't make sense to spend all that time on the road, hang out for half an hour, and head back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 04:15 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,057,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
You must go blazing through there. Whenever my family went when I was a kid we'd never be there for less than 3 hours. Granted, there's a lot of window shopping, but that's kind of the point. Of course for us Galena was 3 hours away, so it sort of didn't make sense to spend all that time on the road, hang out for half an hour, and head back.
Very true. It takes 20-30 minutes just to quickly walk up and down Main Street. If you want to shop and stroll, dine, and take in the sights, definitely 2-3 hours minimum (unless you are with a man who is impatient A person could spend all day if you like touring historical sites and the countryside.

Last edited by ennaf; 08-08-2012 at 05:35 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 PM

105 posts, read 287,853 times
Quote:
To walk through the Main street will take you about 20-30 minutes, but if you like to window shop and try food samples, it will take longer There are a lot of historical places (homes) in the area. Several generals from the Civil War retired there (Ulysses Grant being one of them). It is maybe a little out of your way if you go to Madison, but not by much (20 minutes?).
20 min not too bad. I'm thinking the Madison trip will have to be more than a daycation. Prolly a two daycation cuz I really love to take my time and window shop...I dont know why I torture myself all time by looking at cute things I want and I don't have much money to spend.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Yes Bellvue is way up at the NE corner of the state. When I went there we stayed one night in Dubuque, then went through Bellevue on the way to Madison.

Burlington is on the Mississipp River and there are lot of pretty views of it. I would recommend Crapo Park for some views from the bluffs.

Here's a link that you can click through various "what to do" categories on the right

What To Do
Thank you. I just checked out the link and Burlington looks like a neat town!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I drove a 1979 Duster through high school and college. I've still got it parked out at the farm, but it's in rough shape these days. My main purpose for starting to access the internet for personal use many years ago was to do research and acquire parts for a planned restoration of the car so I adopted the duster1979 handle for my eBay and Hotmail accounts as well as a couple of message boards. The restoration never materialized but I continue to use that username for pretty much everything, mostly out of convenience. Or maybe laziness, take your pick.

Plymouth actually didn't introduce the Duster until 1970, but I know what you mean. I prefer the old A-body (1970-76) Dusters myself. And if I ever do get around to restoring mine I will wish it were an older one, the aftermarket hasn't been very kind to the Chrysler F-Body platform so finding parts will be a challenge. You can get pretty much anything for the older ones, though.

Back to your road trip, now that I have a handle on what you want to do I'd suggest skipping Mount Pleasant on this trip. Physically it's very much like Fairfield only without the Maharishi influence, so if you're just doing a "drive-through" you won't gain much by driving the extra distance. As an alternative I'd suggest heading south out of Fairfield on Highway 1 which will take you through Birmingham and Keosauqua before you hit Highway 2. Head west on 2 to Bloomfield (if you pass by Cantril before 5:00 turn off the highway and cut through town and pay the Dutchman's Store a visit). You mentioned that you like town squares, many people think Bloomfield's courthouse square is one of the prettiest in the state. From Bloomfield you can head north on 63 and head back to Des Moines. Or if you have time and want to see a little more you can continue west on 2 to Centerville, then head north on 5 which will also take you back to DSM. Centerville has a nice square, as does Albia which is on that route.

I'd recommend planning a separate trip for Burlington, maybe one where you follow 61 south from there and pass through Fort Madison and Keokuk. From Keokuk you can be in either Illinois or Missouri in a couple of minutes. Those of us who grew up in the area take it for granted, but I've found that friends who have visited from central Illinois and Iowa get a kick out of being able to hit three states within a matter of minutes. One friend actually bought scratch-off lottery tickets in all three states just because he could.
Your right I just checked out the Duster I dig and its the 1970. My friend had one and I don't know why I thought it was 1969 but all I know is I loved that car.

Anyhow...what to do, what to do. There is just so much to see, I'm trying to make up my mind. I think your right....I'll have to narrow it down and plan a second trip for either Burlington and Mount Pleasant together cuz I'm still interested in seeing Mount Pleasant. However I'm also interested in the other ones you mentioned Centerville and Albia. Great, I just remembered my friend is visiting in a couple weeks and he really wants to go to Fairfield. If thats the case maybe I should skip Fairfield this week and do Burlington/Mount Pleasant instead. I feel like I'm losing my head....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Very true. It takes 20-30 minutes just to quickly walk up and down Main Street. If you want to shop and stroll, dine, and take in the sights, definitely 2-3 hours minimum (unless you are with a man who is impatient A person could spend all day if you like touring historical sites and the countryside.
That would be me. Not so much historical sites but more strolling the country side, window shopping and dining. I like to take my time but my boyfriend can be impatient yet he walks sooooooooooooo slow. Handicap people with crutches and senior citizens truck faster.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Or if you have time and want to see a little more you can continue west on 2 to Centerville, then head north on 5 which will also take you back to DSM. Centerville has a nice square, as does Albia which is on that route.
I just saw pictures of Albia and it looks like a nice town. WOW the pictures of Centerville impress me. The main street decorated for Christmas look CUTE. I really want to check out Centerville but than again, I'm thinking around xmas would be a good time to visit.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Des Moines to Mt Pleasant is NOT a 3 hour drive. Burlington is about 2.5 hours and is just a half hour farther than Mt. P. I recommend taking 63 to 163 via Ottumwa route. This will lead you directly to HWY 34 which will take you through both Fairfield and Mt Pleasant.

What are you wanting to do?

Honestly I would be interested to see what you are planning to do in either place. There's not much. Fairfield has a good Indian restaurant right on the main street called India Cafe.
I ate at India Cafe. OMG the Spinach Paneer is excellent. I want more! India star is good to but I like India Cafe better.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Sigourney does have a nice square, I sometimes forget that because generally when I go there I'm just passing through so I don't see it. Fairfield and Mount Pleasant have nice squares as well, but they're considerably bigger towns so it's not the same.

Have fun on your trip!
Sigourney did have a nice town square but you were right not much of anything else to see there. I didn't see much of people either but then it was labour day. Oskaloosa had a cute town square but I didn't care much for the rest of the town.

I didn't get to see Mount Pleasant which I wish I would have seen instead of Oskaloosa.

At first I loved seeing Albia but I didn't like how a highway went right through town. It was noisy with many big rig trucks going through. Not peaceful at all but their town square is nice.

I fell in love with Fairfield. It seem more like a real town. My friend and I first went there together on Sunday of Labour day weekend. We rarely saw anybody and all the restaurants around the town square were closed with the exception of India Cafe being opened thank God--so delicious my mouth is watering as I speak. Before we left on Monday I followed your order of sites MUM Uni, Abundunce Village, Vedic City. Those places were very peaceful to drive through. Oh also we went to the Observatory.

What I thought of being a sleepy town turned out being a little hoppin place when I returned Friday during the same week for the First Friday Art Walk. I arrived around 3 pm and there were so many school buses and cars. I couldn't believe it...it was like a different town and the art walk hadn't even started. When I was there on Labour day weekend it was literally like a ghost town and it was cool. We walked over the railroad track and walked through neighborhoods. The rail road tracks reminded me of the movie Stand By Me.The town square look so much the one in Sleeping with the Enemy. It only needs a fountain. I really love Fairfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa