U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:31 PM

8,676 posts, read 8,857,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrichdesmoines View Post
Well getting beat up outside of my dorm at the University of Minnesota for being a Hawkeye fan kind of boosted my state pride ridiculously. Since we get so much crap from all the surrounding states everyone here feels the need to defend Iowa. Even tho we don't have any sports teams or big cities at least our economies and politics are better than most other Midwestern states.
The newspaper in Burlington is called The Hawkeye. And in Des Moines there is a lot of businesses and whatnot named Capitol City _____.

I feel like I have to defend Iowa a lot, too. People from other parts of the US often have low opinions of the state, and one person I know online constantly says Iowa is worthless and bases that entire opinion of the fact that they have driven through the state on I80
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 07:04 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,515,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
First of all, please don't take offense to this. I have no ill will toward anyone in Iowa as most of my extended family is there. So here goes.

I've noticed that people in Iowa are very proud of their state. Of course this is not unusual, but what I find unusual is that people in Iowa have to say and write the name of their state constantly. It seems that almost everyone I know who lives in Iowa has to mention the name of their state several times in conversation. I've also noticed that there are lots of businesses in different parts of the state that have the name Iowa in them somehow. This isn't meant to be a slam, it's just an interesting observation I've noticed. How many others have noticed this?
Maybe they don't want you to forget where they are from. How often have you heard people name drop they came from California or some other state everyone is suppose to be impressed by? I've never heard anyone mention the name Iowa at all in conversation, let alone constantly.

Sure there are some businesses and products using Hawkeye or Iowa in their name. That also happens elsewhere, such as people in Texas using Lone Star or something to do with the state for their business ID. Its just a name recognition thing. In San Antonio, it might be Alamo this or that. There is nothing really strange about the use of a familiar name for ones ID.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 AM

26,890 posts, read 38,142,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The newspaper in Burlington is called The Hawkeye. And in Des Moines there is a lot of businesses and whatnot named Capitol City _____.

I feel like I have to defend Iowa a lot, too. People from other parts of the US often have low opinions of the state, and one person I know online constantly says Iowa is worthless and bases that entire opinion of the fact that they have driven through the state on I80
When I see comments made by someone that has only driven through a state I wonder about how such an ignorant, stupid twit ever passed a drivers license test. I guess they drive without one.

And I have mostly moved from defense to offense. I've decided to call out the morons that consistently slam our state and cities when they don't live here. The best thing we can do is never respond to their posts, but that will never happen. Remember: Don't feed the trolls!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:04 AM

8,676 posts, read 8,857,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
When I see comments made by someone that has only driven through a state I wonder about how such an ignorant, stupid twit ever passed a drivers license test. I guess they drive without one.

And I have mostly moved from defense to offense. I've decided to call out the morons that consistently slam our state and cities when they don't live here. The best thing we can do is never respond to their posts, but that will never happen. Remember: Don't feed the trolls!!!
Yep. She has said numerous times she has no desire to ever visit Iowa. She said "I have driven through the state on I-80 so I have BTDT" I like the state of Iowa and think there are some beautiful areas but even I admit that I-80 is boring and probably the least attractive scenery!

Old 08-24-2012, 05:29 PM

7,042 posts, read 8,199,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Maybe they don't want you to forget where they are from. How often have you heard people name drop they came from California or some other state everyone is suppose to be impressed by? I've never heard anyone mention the name Iowa at all in conversation, let alone constantly.

Sure there are some businesses and products using Hawkeye or Iowa in their name. That also happens elsewhere, such as people in Texas using Lone Star or something to do with the state for their business ID. Its just a name recognition thing. In San Antonio, it might be Alamo this or that. There is nothing really strange about the use of a familiar name for ones ID.
If you say you're from California out west that can get you in some trouble. Lots of western states aren't too fond of Californians. It seems to me that Iowans have a lot of pride in their state (which I never said was bad). It just seems like I've heard more people say the name of the state more often and I've noticed many more businesses that have the name Iowa in it compared to Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or