Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,297 times

Advertisements

This is my first thread so please bare with me, especially if this has been asked before. I am just curious as to the best place to live in the Quad Cities area if i am going to be going to Palmer Chiropractic for school. I may be going to either Black Hawk Community in Moline or Scott Community College in Bettendorf for a year or two before going to Palmer in Davenport. I am interested in buying a house and want to know which locations are best to live in if i will be traveling back and forther between these school. As keep in mind I have never been to the quad cities before but have read enough about them to have a small understanding. I will most likely not be living there for long once i am out of school. Thanks for all the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,260 times
There are a lot of places you can live between Palmer and Scott. Black Hawk is a little farther away but it's not too hard to get there no matter where you live in the Quad Cities. Traffic is typically light here so that shouldn't be a concern.

It comes down to what you want from an area and how much you can spend. If you're a biker or runner it would be nice to live close to the Duck Creek bike trail. If you want to be close to night life, you could live close to the Village of East Davenport. Either way, unless you live in southwest Rock Island and you're going to Scott, any commute shouldn't be too bad, but I would be interested to know how long you want to spend driving each day (there's also good public transit in the Quad Cities).

Old 06-28-2012, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,297 times
I don't mind driving up to a certain point. 40 miles round trip would probably be my max. Thanks for the info though, that helps a lot.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMeekLV View Post
I don't mind driving up to a certain point. 40 miles round trip would probably be my max. Thanks for the info though, that helps a lot.
Scott is about 9 miles away from Palmer and Black Hawk is about 11 miles away. Anywhere you live in the Quad Cities will keep you below the 40 mile barrier. If you can I would visit, drive around and see which areas you like best. You may want to live closer to Palmer since I assume you'll spend more time there after you're done with community college. Scott is a commuter school and you'll most likely just drive to class and drive home.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:35 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Scott offers a lot of classes that can be taken at the Kahl building in downtown Davenport.

I disagree about good public transit. Buses stop running in Bettendorf at 6pm. I'm not sure about Davenport but I think it's also 6pm. I can see stopping at 9pm maybe, but 6 is too early.

Palmer sits in the middle of a residential area of central Davenport. Most students live in that area.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I disagree about good public transit. Buses stop running in Bettendorf at 6pm. I'm not sure about Davenport but I think it's also 6pm. I can see stopping at 9pm maybe, but 6 is too early.
It would be nice if the buses ran past 6, but I guess there's not enough demand for it. Either way, the bus system in Davenport is pretty comprehensive.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:00 AM

47 posts, read 153,819 times
I would recommend living north of Palmer, somewhere between Kirkwood and maybe Kimberly - many of the places advertised as close to St. Ambrose will be near enough to Palmer for a short drive as well. I'm kind of wondering why you're looking at buying a house if you're moving in six years, though? There are houses for rent in the area that could save you the hassle of buying and selling, as well as closing costs. Unfortunately, a lot of them are just signs in the yard and they're out NOW. Otherwise, you might be able to find a few in the paper or on Craigslist (beware scams there, though).

Old 09-23-2012, 12:02 AM

219 posts, read 455,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
There are a lot of places you can live between Palmer and Scott. Black Hawk is a little farther away but it's not too hard to get there no matter where you live in the Quad Cities. Traffic is typically light here so that shouldn't be a concern.

It comes down to what you want from an area and how much you can spend. If you're a biker or runner it would be nice to live close to the Duck Creek bike trail. If you want to be close to night life, you could live close to the Village of East Davenport. Either way, unless you live in southwest Rock Island and you're going to Scott, any commute shouldn't be too bad, but I would be interested to know how long you want to spend driving each day (there's also good public transit in the Quad Cities).
Traffic isn't a problem unless it's on the I-74 Bridge which can be backed up due to weather or an accident due to it only being two narrow lanes from hell in each direction.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 AM

13 posts, read 29,972 times
I-74 is especially bad now with all the construction. Try to hit before 8PM and you should be OK. Otherwise it's a lengthy wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa