U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM

78 posts, read 132,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIowan View Post
Why move to Cedar Rapids/Iowa when you can live in California?? Prepare to be bored if this post is even real..
I realize that this may sound strange but please be aware that with one of the highest tax rates in the nation and bloated gas and housing prices, living here is not an option any more. And yes, the post is real.

Last edited by CasketKitten; 10-14-2012 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 AM

24 posts, read 29,279 times
Quote:
Why move to Cedar Rapids/Iowa when you can live in California?? Prepare to be bored if this post is even real..

guessing you haven't lived in either state?. .I've lived in both .. without question if you want real life you'd chose Iowa over California. And bored? . ..if someone is bored here in Iowa..they need to open their eyes and go outside and look around.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 AM

24 posts, read 29,279 times
Kitten .. .reading thru this again and it's sounding more and more like what your looking for is one of the smaller communities around C.R.. . .. .look into that before ya commit to the city..Atkins is a nice little place that's close. . my hometown of Belle Plaine is a great little town 35 miles away- just far enough to keep the city away but still close enough to be convenient. ...Mt. Vernon is nice.. . and all the small towns in the area are going to have a generally lower cost of living. . another plus.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echohunter View Post
Kitten .. .reading thru this again and it's sounding more and more like what your looking for is one of the smaller communities around C.R.. . .. .look into that before ya commit to the city..Atkins is a nice little place that's close. . my hometown of Belle Plaine is a great little town 35 miles away- just far enough to keep the city away but still close enough to be convenient. ...Mt. Vernon is nice.. . and all the small towns in the area are going to have a generally lower cost of living. . another plus.
I was in fact looking at Mt. Vernon. I also remember other near towns: Center Point, Palo. Hubby doesn't want that far of a commute but I think he's approaching this is terms of LA style drive time.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:18 PM

218 posts, read 321,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echohunter View Post
guessing you haven't lived in either state?. .I've lived in both .. without question if you want real life you'd chose Iowa over California. And bored? . ..if someone is bored here in Iowa..they need to open their eyes and go outside and look around.
guessed wrong was born and raised in Iowa.. Sure their is stuff to do now that I'm older than 21, but when you're underage it is a very boring place.. Would go to the mall or Walmart was the only entertainment there was..

Old 10-20-2012, 04:44 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,075,327 times
Did your husband have any places in mind he would like to relocate to? I guess Iowa wasn't on his short list. It seems your principle reason is the nostalgic feeling you have for the area. I do understand those feelings. When was the last time you were in Iowa and CR? When are you planning to visit? I hope all goes well for you. One other thing I was curious about, if you don't mind me asking, was your c/d name and why you picked it.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 AM

4,276 posts, read 6,958,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasketKitten View Post
when those same people fill a small area in large numbers, hilarity does not ensue.
LOL

Old 10-21-2012, 06:04 PM

46 posts, read 94,155 times
I would focus on Marion. It has a nice downtown area with a great library, nice restaurants, and shops. It also has the convenience of grocery stores and larger shopping areas just minutes away. But the neighborhoods are all quiet and safe. Housing costs are reasonable and there is a big variety depending on you want of older ranches and split foyers up to large newer mansions on the edges of the city.
Good luck!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:01 PM

82 posts, read 124,152 times
Quote:
guessed wrong was born and raised in Iowa.. Sure their is stuff to do now that I'm older than 21, but when you're underage it is a very boring place.. Would go to the mall or Walmart was the only entertainment there was..
Which is different than any other place when under age?

Growing up in central Iowa near Des Moines, there were numerous clubs in dsm that 16 and older were allowed into. Other than that niche it's 21 and over anyway. Aside from that there are parks, lakes......high school and college parties. Aside from coastline with beach I don't know how that's different anywhere else.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Did your husband have any places in mind he would like to relocate to? I guess Iowa wasn't on his short list. It seems your principle reason is the nostalgic feeling you have for the area. I do understand those feelings. When was the last time you were in Iowa and CR? When are you planning to visit? I hope all goes well for you. One other thing I was curious about, if you don't mind me asking, was your c/d name and why you picked it.
You are right in that Iowa was not on the short list a few years ago. A few years ago it was CO but too many other CA transplants have been busy trying to make the state into little CA so, no thanks! Hubby has been in the state in early fall and in winter. We are going on a fact find tour come this spring. My name comes from my profession: funeral services. I got the idea from some lady who would call in the Sean Hanity show back in the 2000's called the "carpet kitten". She and her hubby laid rugs and flooring. I liked the sound of it and just made it "casket kitten".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa