U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 AM

78 posts, read 145,123 times

Advertisements

Finally, got the Cali bred hubby to agree to go back with me. However, it's been YEARS since I have been in Iowa. At the risk of being flamed as a "hater" and everything else; where in CR is the lowest crime rates and the highest percentage of native born citizens. Please remember; we're coming at this from a perspective of having lived in LA and having had it up to here and then some with gangs, illegal aliens, graffiti and homeless encampments on every corner. In other words, I would like the truth about CR, not some rosy glow of a promo. We just want peace and especially quiet. We want to be able to go into our back yard and not find people in it. We'd like to have our windows open and not hear deep bass sounds from a low rider parked in the street while it's occupant conducts business with the locals. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 04:45 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,439,307 times
I would avoid the following:

The SE side from 19th street to downtown. Actually, I wouldn't even be anywhere close to 19th Street.

The NE side south of 29th street.

The SW side around edgewood between E ave and HWY 30 or any apartments around 16th St.SW. There are some nice neighbor hoods on the SW side, west of edgewood out towards stony Point.

I would look into the area around Boyson Rd. or Marion. The newer Parts of Hiawatha should be ok too.

That is my brief opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:50 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,057,952 times
I agree with the previous post. You might also want to check with the CRPD for area crime statistics to be on the safe side.

Last edited by ennaf; 10-12-2012 at 05:45 PM..

Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 PM

My folks used to live in the Bowman woods area in the NE. Is that still ok? I notice via Trullia and Zillow that property values have suddenly gone down there. Did something happen like a packing plant opening in the area? thanks

Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,057,952 times
As far as I know that is still a good area. The original homes are getting older and there's been a ton of newer homes built around C Avenue in the last 10 years, some of which are quite affordable IMO. There are a couple of new strip malls in the area, including a new HyVee being built on C Avenue. If you haven't been here in a few years, you will be amazed at all the building around Boyson Rd/C Avenue area. I think they've done a nice job.

Last edited by ennaf; 10-12-2012 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 07:55 AM

25 posts, read 32,163 times
From what your describing you may want to consider one of the small towns within the 30 mile radius of C.R. also. ..lots of nice choices there. And we all hope you told the hubby what to expect for winter snow/cold season and summer heat/humidity season?? .. . .and why C.R. anyway?? ..are you a native?

Old 10-13-2012, 04:21 PM

Echohunter; My folks lived in CR towards the end of their time together. Mom has since passed and Step-Dad moved on. However, I do have cousins in the area so it still has good memories and feelings for me. Also, of the towns in East Iowa, CR holds the most promise of getting decent jobs even starting a business for me. HOWEVER... People, please. Be HONEST. What is this business of Chicago blacks coming into CR? I saw the thread about that certain segment of society coming to Iowa, no doubt to ensure that Iowa stays blue and that they have brought their politics and behaviors with them. HOW BAD IS IT IN CR?? Please. I have lived in areas that were taken over by the not nice people of Compton here in LA and I have sworn that never again will my family live anywhere near the culture of "gibsmedat" if I can help it. From what I am finding, the SW and SE areas are awash with the crime now. Have some of them pushed into NE and is this why my folks's old area so cheap right now because people are fleeing? As you can tell, I am not PC. LA stripped that along with my willingness to put up with "diversity" a long time ago. I am looking for the CR and the Iowa I knew. Something tells me that may not be anymore. Sorry if this makes people mad.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,439,307 times
Cedar Rapids is still an ok place to live.... if you don't need a lot of good weather to be happy. Bowman woods area should be fine.

CR doesn't have enough nightlife for the young urbanites, so they have told me. Maybe you don't care?

If I understand you... you have had enough of the multiculturalism and diversity and the crime that goes along with it. Not wanting to live in a high crime area doesn't make you a Nazi.

I don't mind people of other ethnicity and race if they are just trying to live a quiet and honest life, but I want nothing to do with the rap music ghetto thug culture. like most people (I believe), I want to live around other people like me. People with similar customs and lifestyle.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Cedar Rapids is still an ok place to live.... if you don't need a lot of good weather to be happy. Bowman woods area should be fine.

CR doesn't have enough nightlife for the young urbanites, so they have told me. Maybe you don't care?

If I understand you... you have had enough of the multiculturalism and diversity and the crime that goes along with it. Not wanting to live in a high crime area doesn't make you a Nazi.

I don't mind people of other ethnicity and race if they are just trying to live a quiet and honest life, but I want nothing to do with the rap music ghetto thug culture. like most people (I believe), I want to live around other people like me. People with similar customs and lifestyle.

Thank you Greg. That is exactly so. Listen, the roster of people coming with me are all OVER 50. This once magical place called LA is no country for old men or women. This is why my 84 year old Mother in law is uprooting and coming with us. This is why I want to ensure that her days in IA will be of peace, not loud music and gunshots.

We don't care about nightlife, have had enough of that already. We don't mind people from other countries; come on, folks, my "married into" family are all immigrants!

HOWEVER, we do mind, very much, the crime, the sense of "I'm entitled to what YOU earned" that some segments of the population bring to the table and when those same people fill a small area in large numbers, hilarity does not ensue.

Thank you for understanding and not joining in the bashing of the newbie. Like I say, come out here, live here. You'll see.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:02 PM

218 posts, read 347,116 times
Why move to Cedar Rapids/Iowa when you can live in California?? Prepare to be bored if this post is even real..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or