U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:43 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,055,514 times

Advertisements

OP, have you ever BEEN to the QC? If you are moving your family all the way out there, it may be worth the expense of a scouting trip before making the move. There is only so much you can find out without seeing it in person-especially if the "feel" of an area is important to you. You can fly into Chicago and then its about a 2 hour drive. I have been to Seattle several times and it is WAAY different. Depending on where you are coming from, it may be a much smaller metro area than what you are used to.

I like the area, especially the IA side, but then again I am comfortable with my Midwestern suburban lifestyle which replicates itself very well in places like QC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,343 times
Do you know where will you live at ? I'm looking for a roommate, I live in Davenport

Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 PM

46 posts, read 125,135 times
The area around Palmer is somewhat walkable, and you could walk down to Greatest Grains, which is where a lot of people shop for organic foods. The local HyVees (accessible by bus) have a Health Market with a selection of organic and natural foods, and there are some items at Schnucks as well. Target has very little these days, but the prices on what they have (minus produce most of the time) are okay. Check out the Freight House Farmer's Market, it's a nice one that is year round, though certainly much bigger in the summer when it's outdoors. Some of the farmers there have CSAs, otherwise there are area farmers with CSAs as well. They aren't as well advertised as in some other cities, but they are still there. I don't think there's a lot in the way of buses in and out of town, though I could be wrong. This place in Milan might work, Quad City For Sale By Owner (FSBO) Listing - QCFSBO.com and they do have bus service at least to that side of the river, but it might be a very long bus ride.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 767 times
Default Milan to Davenport Commute.

Taking a bus from Milan to Davenport in my experience is roughly a 2 hour bus ride. The main issue however is the difference in transportation systems. On the IL side of the river buses start around 5am and stop around 8pm on weekdays. On the Iowa side of the river they start around 6am and stop around 5pm. When you are talking about a long commute this is a big deal. The Quad city metro if you have only driven through it is much different to live in than to just be on the interstate and zoom past. If you are not used to Midwest winters I HEAVILY suggest having a car to live in the city with a family. You do not want to be standing at a bus stop in a snow storm or in sub-zero wind chills. In the summer, spring and fall it works out very nicely, but for winter alone, bring a car. If you would like an idea on housing costs I would suggest checking out melfosterco.com They are probably the biggest real estate firm in town and offer a user friendly way to look for housing.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:47 AM

387 posts, read 479,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilay View Post
The local HyVees (accessible by bus) have a Health Market with a selection of organic and natural foods, and there are some items at Schnucks as well.
The buses run for like four hours out of the day. If you're relying on mass transit to get around the Quad City area, pack a lunch. The schedules are awful and the routes are very weird. Maybe just buy a bike and use the sidewalks (if you can find one) to get around.

(Mod snip. Unnecessary)

Last edited by ElleTea; 02-05-2014 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa