U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 PM

15 posts, read 31,293 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am considering moving to the quad cities as I have been accepted to grad school there. I will be moving this spring. I am soo curious about the area. Is there a local news station with broadcasts online?
Are there farmers markets and CSAs? How about organic grocery stores? Is there decent rural public transportation (I'd rather read on the bus for an hour each morning than live in the city no matter what city)? Is this a good place for bicycling around town? I live on the west coast and have lived everywhere but So Cal so if anyone could compare the zeitgeist of the quad cities to a west coast city that would be awesome!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 PM

218 posts, read 347,116 times
Biking in the Quad Cities is about as good as you can get especially in Davenport. As far as broadcasting online these stations below all have online broadcasting of their newscast. Farmers Markets are better than what they were in the past especially in Downtown Davenport. Have you visited/been to the Quad Cities yet?

KWQC-TV6 Home - KWQC-TV6 News and Weather For The Quad Cities -
FOX 18 : KLJB/KGCW
WQAD.com — Quad Cities News & Weather from WQAD Television, Channel 8
CBS4 Homepage - CBS4 - WHBF Quad Cities, IL-IA News Weather Sports

Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 PM

4,580 posts, read 5,808,661 times
As far as I know rural public transportation is not good.

GreatestGrains.com ...There's a few more, I can't remember the names.

Freighthousefarmersmarket.com...There's several others in the QCA.

KWQC.com is the most popular nws channel in the QCA.

QCtimes.com

rcreader.com

Any questions just ask..Good Luck!

Old 10-30-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIowan View Post
Biking in the Quad Cities is about as good as you can get especially in Davenport.

I got to disagree. The recreational bike paths are excellent, but the area is lacking in bike lanes on the streets. I mean Locust, Kimberly, 53rd, Division, Brady etc. are not exactly bike friendly. Last time I was in town I noticed Bettendorf was adding bike lanes but that was out on Devils Glen rd.

It looks like she might be going to Palmer (yogiCHIROgirl and all, I could be wrong tho'). If so, I'd recommend living in that area and you can ride a bike on those streets in that neigborhood easy enough.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIowan View Post
Biking in the Quad Cities is about as good as you can get especially in Davenport. As far as broadcasting online these stations below all have online broadcasting of their newscast. Farmers Markets are better than what they were in the past especially in Downtown Davenport. Have you visited/been to the Quad Cities yet?

KWQC-TV6 Home - KWQC-TV6 News and Weather For The Quad Cities -
FOX 18 : KLJB/KGCW
WQAD.com Quad Cities News & Weather from WQAD Television, Channel 8
CBS4 Homepage - CBS4 - WHBF Quad Cities, IL-IA News Weather Sports

Thanks for the help! I'll watch the 'local' news for the next few days to get a feel for the zeitgeist of the community. Nope, I've never been to the area except passing through on the freeway. This will be a whole new experience for me.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I got to disagree. The recreational bike paths are excellent, but the area is lacking in bike lanes on the streets. I mean Locust, Kimberly, 53rd, Division, Brady etc. are not exactly bike friendly. Last time I was in town I noticed Bettendorf was adding bike lanes but that was out on Devils Glen rd.

It looks like she might be going to Palmer (yogiCHIROgirl and all, I could be wrong tho'). If so, I'd recommend living in that area and you can ride a bike on those streets in that neigborhood easy enough.
You guessed it totally going to Palmer. Any additional info on that neighborhood is appreciated. I hope to live out of the 'city' and take a bus into town then ride to the school. I have little kids and a dog so I would much rather have a decent yard, privacy and safety and commute an hour twice a day then be right there! Plus if I cycle enough I don't need to find time to go to the gym.
Thanks for the info on the bikeability of the area

Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 AM

708 posts, read 725,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogichirogirl View Post
You guessed it totally going to Palmer. Any additional info on that neighborhood is appreciated. I hope to live out of the 'city' and take a bus into town then ride to the school. I have little kids and a dog so I would much rather have a decent yard, privacy and safety and commute an hour twice a day then be right there! Plus if I cycle enough I don't need to find time to go to the gym.
Thanks for the info on the bikeability of the area
What do you mean be living out of the "city"...living outside of Davenport proper? You don't need to have an hour commute to have a yard?

If you want bus service, more than likely you'll need to limit your choices to Davenport and Bettendorf.

Another thing to consider, if you are thinking about a bike for transportation, there are going to be some days due to weather where this won't be feasible.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 PM

I mean living somewhere where I could have a acre or two and a well. Is that possible for an affordable price in the quad cities? What neighboring communities are good?
What do people who cycle do when they can not?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Smaller towns outside of Davenport/Bettendorf are Blue Grass, Buffalo, Dewitt, Le Claire and Eldridge. I don't think buses run from them to Dav/Bett. And riding a bike really isn't an option.

You could look on the west side of Locust st. in Dav. towards Utah rd., Wisconsin rd...technically you're still in Davenport but it's blacktop rds and farmhouses.

There's Pleasant Valley just east of Bett. where you still find larger lots and older houses but that area is a lot more expensive than west Dav.

The area between Dav. and Buffalo is probably the most inexpensive as far as finding a house on an acre. but I'm pretty sure there is no bus and the only way into town is a highway full of semi trucks.

The QCA really is a place where you'll either want a car or live in town. (Think of Dav. and Bett. as one big town)

And with little kids and pets, I take back my recommendation of living near palmer. It's a broke college kids/kinda ghetto area. I'd stay north of Locust st.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post

You could look on the west side of Locust st. in Dav. towards Utah rd., Wisconsin rd...technically you're still in Davenport but it's blacktop rds and farmhouses.

The area between Dav. and Buffalo is probably the most inexpensive as far as finding a house on an acre. but I'm pretty sure there is no bus and the only way into town is a highway full of semi trucks..

Thanks! This is the exact type of advice I am looking for I will research avaliable housing W of Locust in Davenport! I do have a car but would prefer to not drive it a ton. Do you guys have park and rides out there? If I just had to drive a few miles to a bus station that would be better than driving in city traffic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa