Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 AM

16 posts, read 39,071 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I'm just not looking in the right places but I have never seen a market with so few houses for rent or such a small selection. Why am I finding so few houses for rent in the Sioux City area? I have been also trying to look in NE and SD but we aren't finding much at all. We need to be within 35 minutes or less of the zip code 51105 in any direction. If anyone has any suggestions please share them with us.

I have been trying to use Craigslist and this website:

Sioux City Journal

I have also tried to find a Realtor to help us find a place. I found one and she couldn't find anything to fit what we needed.

We don't want an apartment its just not practical for our family.

Maybe its difficult to find what we are looking for:

We can't spend more than $800/month but the less the better.
We need to be able to have our 2 dogs and one is about a 100lb Yellow Lab/Great Dane mix. The other one is a 35lb mixed breed. They are older well behaved dogs.

At least 2 bedrooms, at least 1.5 bathrooms, washer/dryer or at least the hook ups, garage, and fenced in yard. We prefer to have a dishwasher and hard floors.
Would probably need to stay there for about a year.

Whats strange is that we would like to buy a house about a year after my husband has been working so we have also been looking at houses for sale. There are so many houses for sale and we have found quite a few that have what we would like in the price ranges we want to stay in. So why so many houses for sale but hardly any for rent?

Thanks and hope you can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM

4,820 posts, read 6,825,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertywmn214 View Post
I don't know if I'm just not looking in the right places but I have never seen a market with so few houses for rent or such a small selection. Why am I finding so few houses for rent in the Sioux City area? I have been also trying to look in NE and SD but we aren't finding much at all. We need to be within 35 minutes or less of the zip code 51105 in any direction. If anyone has any suggestions please share them with us.

I have been trying to use Craigslist and this website:

Sioux City Journal

I have also tried to find a Realtor to help us find a place. I found one and she couldn't find anything to fit what we needed.

We don't want an apartment its just not practical for our family.

Maybe its difficult to find what we are looking for:

We can't spend more than $800/month but the less the better.
We need to be able to have our 2 dogs and one is about a 100lb Yellow Lab/Great Dane mix. The other one is a 35lb mixed breed. They are older well behaved dogs.

At least 2 bedrooms, at least 1.5 bathrooms, washer/dryer or at least the hook ups, garage, and fenced in yard. We prefer to have a dishwasher and hard floors.
Would probably need to stay there for about a year.

Whats strange is that we would like to buy a house about a year after my husband has been working so we have also been looking at houses for sale. There are so many houses for sale and we have found quite a few that have what we would like in the price ranges we want to stay in. So why so many houses for sale but hardly any for rent?

Thanks and hope you can help.
Zip code 51105 is on the east side of Sioux City in close proximity to US Hwy. 75. I would expand my search NE up US 75 to the towns of Hinton, Merrill, and all the way to LeMars. All 3 of these communities would be within 35 minutes of where you need to be mostly because it's 4 lane highway.

Other towns to the east within your driving distance are Lawton, Bronson, and Kingsley. If you find rental property it will generally be lower in these outlying communities, especially the smaller towns. There's also a better chance of the landlords being more tolerant of pets.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 AM

5,238 posts, read 7,950,481 times
I only see one listing in the Le Mars paper. Sometimes the locals in the small towns will know of someone planning to move or rent before it is listed, that's why contacting the city offices, chamber of commerce or local paper might be helpful.

Le Mars Daily Sentinel: Classifieds - Le Mars Houses for Rent

Here's a few papers, at least a couple do not have an online version but they do provide an email address and phone number, so you might contact them and see if they know of anything. Ya, might have more luck with people accepting pets if you could find a little farm house. Hope you are able to find something suitable, I realize you don't have much time. I'm glad to see you treating your pets like family, too many people would discard their dogs if it they made things a little more difficult. Best of Luck.
Plymouth County
Iowa Newspaper Association
Woodbury County
Iowa Newspaper Association

This is a free paper, no listings now for houses, but might check back.
TNOL.com : Sioux City, IA Area

There are a couple on here, maybe you have seen them, but they do say no pets. One is even a farm house and says no pets. It shows to be listed by CC Properties, 712-577-0176. Maybe they have other listings. I dont know why it says Dallas, but the link takes ya to SC.
Dallas Apartments for rent & Dallas TX Apartment Rentals - Zillow

Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 PM

219 posts, read 452,427 times
Not to sound biased or mean towards Sioux City which is a nice area, just that the area hasn't had any growth in the area since the 1980s, with the slow to hardly any population migration the less new houses/apartments are built. Have you to look on Apartment finder websites or Craigslist?

example link:
[http://www.rentals.com/Iowa/Sioux-City/]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: