U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:27 PM

13 posts, read 19,836 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the links. That's interesting. Some of the stories I heard growing up, like about how the library came to be, were apparently fairy tales. I did have one or two teachers who were a bit on the, shall we say... eccentric side.

I just got around to checking out another thing I remember that had me wondering if I had imagined it. One day when I was quite young, I saw what I thought was a trolley car moving down the street in the vicinity of Lincoln school. It was yellow, and I saw it from a block or so away. This would have been about 1966, which seems very late for such a thing. I do have clear memories of the tracks in the street, from a few years later. So I looked it up and it turns out the lines were being used for cargo only, apparently, until '66 or '67. That would explain why I have no memory of people riding the trolley, or seeing it more than once. Anyone else remember them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 534 times
I was raised on a farm which we still own on the Sedan Bottoms. I believe the buildings you seen were the stock yard in Sedan. It was a large barn that had a raised roof for ventilation. It was located in what was the town of Sedan. I remember there being several houses on the north side of the road and the large barn was located on the south side. Also about a mile to the west at the T intersection was a large barn that also looked like a pagoda, it was built I think by a man named Ludwig who owned the Sedan Farms. The barn was used to raise ducks. Just south of this was a large hill where they dug sand out of. It was call Sand Hill. Everyone used to take dirt bikes there to climb the hill. If you search for "Iowa DNR Historical Aerial Photos", you can look at a photo from 1930 of Sedan. It shows the barn with the three roof lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or