U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,634,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Right. I was questioning this: Food is taxed much, much less, but there is still a tax on it. It is almost negligible
Yeah, this is incorrect. I almost commented on it the other day but didn't have time. Packaged food is not taxed by the state, food in a restaurant and some ready-to-eat items in the store are taxed at 6% just like everything else. Plus local option tax, if applicable.

That poster may just be looking at the sales tax on his receipt at the grocery store and, seeing that the total sales tax is less than 6%, might assume that it means the tax on food items is less than other items when in fact it represents the full tax on taxable items and no tax on food items.

Or it could be that his local governing body charges the local option tax on everything so he's seeing that tax on his food but no state tax.

Or he could just be misinformed. Hard to tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 AM

15 posts, read 23,914 times
The sales tax actually doesn't bother me very much at all, as I'm already used to paying a 6% sales tax on everything. It's just common place. We have the same tax at restaurants and all prepared foods but there isn't any sales tax on other food items. I'm also a little interested in greener living. It's not a necessity right now but how do Iowans feel about solar power, wind power, and other things of that nature? Are there any policies in place for recycling? Here in MI, we have a 10 cent deposit on all carbonated drink bottles... Is that something that I might see in Iowa, or are there a lot of bottles on the side of the road due to no deposit on them? Like I said, it's not a major issue for me, but I do think that the high deposit on bottles (I believe MI has the highest, if not one of the highest) encourages people to litter less because they don't want to lose out on that money they spent on them..

Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 AM

8,671 posts, read 8,854,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssenceofAshley View Post
The sales tax actually doesn't bother me very much at all, as I'm already used to paying a 6% sales tax on everything. It's just common place. We have the same tax at restaurants and all prepared foods but there isn't any sales tax on other food items. I'm also a little interested in greener living. It's not a necessity right now but how do Iowans feel about solar power, wind power, and other things of that nature? Are there any policies in place for recycling? Here in MI, we have a 10 cent deposit on all carbonated drink bottles... Is that something that I might see in Iowa, or are there a lot of bottles on the side of the road due to no deposit on them? Like I said, it's not a major issue for me, but I do think that the high deposit on bottles (I believe MI has the highest, if not one of the highest) encourages people to litter less because they don't want to lose out on that money they spent on them..
Our state supplies a lot of wind power, there are tons of those wind turbines out there.

Recycling varies by city. Here in Des Moines, it is very easy. We get a big wheelie bin that all items go into, no sorting. It is picked up every other week. As a state it seems to be pretty green.

We also have a 5 cent deposit on bottles and cans.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,058,650 times
Here in Cedar Rapids, the city supplies each household with a recycling bin for paper, cardboard, plastics; and a separate wheelie bin for all other trash. Glass and tin cans are supposed to be put out in smaller separate containers. Pickup is weekly.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM

That's great that you have those resources available Also another question, how much does it generally run for city services, such as trash, sewer, water; those kinds of expenses?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
That's great that you have those resources available Also another question, how much does it generally run for city services, such as trash, sewer, water; those kinds of expenses?
In Des Moines, I pay for trash/recycling with my water bill which generally runs about $70 a month total for water, sewer, trash. That's for one person.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 AM

In Cedar Rapids, my water bill (with trash/sewer) costs $55/month for a 1300 sq ft condo. I live alone, except for an every 2-week visit from my daughter to wash her laundry.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:43 AM

That's very good to know I'm used to pretty rural living, so I'm not that in touch with how much expenses like that will usually run. Where I am right now, people generally burn any burnable trash and then have a garbage pickup for the rest. Also most of us are on a well and have our own septic system. Are there burn laws? Any problems with well contamination from all of the crop pesticides? Also I've heard quite a bit about the flood of '08. What areas did that affect the most? Is the area affected coming back and being rebuilt or are they still struggling to catch up? I'm sorry for my ignorance but I have so many questions!
Most of the posts I've read that are for and against Iowa seem like they either love it or hate it... I haven't really found an in between opinion. However, from what I gather from the posts that hate it, it seems to be because those individuals had unrealistic expectations about their new home. I do not want to change Iowa to suit me, because I know that will never make our family happy. I know that there will be somethings that I probably don't care for, but you'll find that anywhere you go. I figure that the more I know about your state, the less surprises I'm hoping very much to be able to move there early next year!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM

Cedar Rapids was mostly affected by the flood of 2008. The downtown area was under 9 feet of water. Lots of re-building and additional building going on downtown. New library, renovated hotel, new convention center, new amplitheater being built, new indoor farmer's market/crafts/food vendors, new downtown medical district soon to be completed. However, there is yet to be built the flood wall to prevent another catastrophe, though it's in the works.

I've lived in Cedar Rapids for 18 years, originally from a suburb of Los Angeles. Been a great place to raise my kids.

Can't tell you much about the rural life, but know someone outside of city limits who did burn all their trash on their property.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
That's very good to know I'm used to pretty rural living, so I'm not that in touch with how much expenses like that will usually run. Where I am right now, people generally burn any burnable trash and then have a garbage pickup for the rest. Also most of us are on a well and have our own septic system. Are there burn laws? Any problems with well contamination from all of the crop pesticides? Also I've heard quite a bit about the flood of '08. What areas did that affect the most? Is the area affected coming back and being rebuilt or are they still struggling to catch up? I'm sorry for my ignorance but I have so many questions!
Most of the posts I've read that are for and against Iowa seem like they either love it or hate it... I haven't really found an in between opinion. However, from what I gather from the posts that hate it, it seems to be because those individuals had unrealistic expectations about their new home. I do not want to change Iowa to suit me, because I know that will never make our family happy. I know that there will be somethings that I probably don't care for, but you'll find that anywhere you go. I figure that the more I know about your state, the less surprises I'm hoping very much to be able to move there early next year!
Have you been to Iowa? I would really recommend a visit to the area you think you might move to. That will tell you a lot.

I really like Iowa, I LOVE Des Moines. But, I am moving because I just am not happy with the weather from Labor Day to Easter! If this city was in a warmer location, I'd be happy to stay.

You are right, though. The haters tend to be those who want Iowa to be something it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or