U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 02:34 PM

16 posts, read 30,779 times

Advertisements

As of right now it looks like we will be moving to SC because my husband most likely has a job there. If he gets the job and its looking pretty good right now, we will be going. He is worried that there will be nothing to do in and around SC. So I'm posting on this forum to see if there are people out there that would be able to enlighten us on any fun enjoyable activities in and around the SC area. We don't mind a little of commute in the name of fun.

We will be moving from Sebastian, FL.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 03:54 PM

152 posts, read 249,957 times
Sioux City is a the largest city in the area. While that is not huge, you can still find things to do, and if not you can commute to Omaha NE, or Sioux Falls SD. Events happen at the Tyson Events Center, and the restored 1927 Orpheum Theatre. Local entertainment includes the SC Sympathy, Rockrestra, and The Sioux City Community Theatre, and the Lamb Theatre. Annual events in Sioux City include Saturday in the Park, Artsplash, The Annual Chili Cookoff, and more. The Long Lines Rec Center has a 50 foot high climbing wall, and of course there is a YMCA in South Sioux City NE. Parks and bike trails located throughout the city, and next spring they will add 80 miles in bike lanes that will connect the city and make it easier for bikers to ride from one side of town to the other.

Sioux City is a good city. For an area to live I would consider, parts of the North Side of town or Morningside. Morningside is home to the most retail and restaurants including the 30 year old enclosed Southern Hills Mall, and the nearby recently built open air mall Lakeport Commons.

For more information, I'd check out this website.

www.locatesiouxcity.com/

Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,512,514 times
Hi Libery, You might do a search on past SC threads, there are a few of them and they discuss a variety of issues. This link might be helpful too, as it lists 101 things to do in SC. I hope you won't feel too land locked. You are used to the ocean not being far away. Best of luck on the move.

101 Things to do in Siouxland

Old 11-26-2012, 04:30 PM

16 posts, read 30,779 times
Thank you all for your input so far, its very much appreciated.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:12 PM

71 posts, read 80,299 times
they have a urena football team, baseball team, and hockey team that you can watch if sports fans
which 2 of which are in tyson events center which has a lot of other stuff to watch too!
Sioux City I thinks cool hope you will too!

Last edited by Shay53; 06-15-2013 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: tell that its a good city

Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
Things to do in the area:

Pack up and move.

I kid, I kid... there really is stuff to do. You can pay taxes. You can drive to Omaha. Complain about the weather in the winter and the summer. Plenty to do

Actually, the proximity to Omaha is fairly nice because Omaha has many attractions. It isn't professional sports teams, but if you have kids you'll find plenty of things to expose them to. The zoo there is incredible. Best of all, you're right next to the border so it is easier to escape when you realize that you live in Iowa

Really hoping people on here can take a joke, or I'll get nothing but flames.

Here's a little other info for you:
It ranks high on several "best" places lists, but those lists are usually garbage because the authors have not visited the cities. Take it with an oil tanker worth of salt. The city has about 80,000 people, but the MSA has around 180,000. It's big enough to have some of the modern things. I haven't checked the square miles in the MSA, which can vary dramatically. (Some cities use 600 sq miles, others use 6000.)

The weather sucks, but that's part of living in Iowa. (Spring is great, except for the bugs. Fall is great, but only lasts 1-2 months. Summer and Winter both suck.)

The city is mostly white. Interpret that however you want, just know what to expect.

The percentage of single family homes appears high to me. 18 to 19%.

The biggest employer, by a large margin, is Tyson. If the plant ever closes, the city will be in for hard times.

If you want to fly somewhere, you should plan on going to Omaha for your flight.

Finally, here is a picture of the skylne:

Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 PM

71 posts, read 80,299 times
you forgot the ho chunk, badgerow building, and the big sioux city hotel which are the bigger buildings in the downtown
sioux city has some stuff to do if you look into it and its one of my favorite cities

Last edited by Shay53; 06-18-2013 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: to say that it has some stuff to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa