U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2012, 04:50 AM
 
Location: :~)
1,483 posts, read 2,827,063 times
Reputation: 1519

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I am NOT sticking up for this dentist in my response to this thread.

However, in today's litigous society and how just one person's public accusation, correct or a total lie, can ruin someone's reputation, I would NEVER hire a woman in a one person office environment.
I laugh when people say the 1950s was a great era...BS!! I feel that your comments originated from that era where "everyone" turned a blind eye to child molestation, racism and limited or no rights for women, etc.

Do you have any women in your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2012, 05:45 AM
 
26,936 posts, read 38,191,714 times
Reputation: 34884
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
It's amazing to me that you have such a strong opinon regarding this court case and are so outraged by it, yet you clearly have a poor understanding of the facts as it pertains to the court case.

Please, please research at will employment. Every state in the United States (except Montana) presumes the employee-employer relationship is at will unless an express contrat exists. There is nothing unique about Iowa in this regard and your earlier hijab comparisons are ridiculous and are an insult to the intelligence of everyone that has to read this thread. I don't possibly see how any court system in this country could have delivered any other ruling than the very same ruling delivered by the Iowa Supreme Court.

Once you have done your reasearch and have learned a little about at-will employment, you should easily be able to answer all your questions above about at-will employment and it's relationship to ugliness, weight, age, breast size, dong size...
You have used this word out of context more than once.

If you are going to rail against someone about insulting others intelligence you should be more careful with your use of language.

hi·jab

/hiˈjäb/
Noun
  • A head covering worn in public by some Muslim women.
  • The religious code that governs the wearing of such clothing.


Hijab, or Veil (Burqah, Chador) Definition - What Is the hijab or veil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 09:00 AM
 
6,474 posts, read 10,048,725 times
Reputation: 6325
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
It's amazing to me that you have such a strong opinon regarding this court case and are so outraged by it, yet you clearly have a poor understanding of the facts as it pertains to the court case.

Please, please research at will employment. Every state in the United States (except Montana) presumes the employee-employer relationship is at will unless an express contrat exists. There is nothing unique about Iowa in this regard and your earlier hijab comparisons are ridiculous and are an insult to the intelligence of everyone that has to read this thread. I don't possibly see how any court system in this country could have delivered any other ruling than the very same ruling delivered by the Iowa Supreme Court.
Um, if these rulings are so "common place" as YOU say, then WHY is it making national headline news??

Look, I see you trying to defend your state and not wanting to be compared to a hicksville state like West Virginia, but the bottomline is that this perv fired her, because she wouldn't put out. Now, what if she was giving it up to him and still fired her, then what??

Women all over the world go through this nonsense everyday. This dentist overstepped HIS bounds and broke so many sexual harassment laws that he SHOULD be punished. Dude asked her how many times she orgasmed??? WTF???

No, YOU are the one trying to INSULT PEOPLE'S INTELLIGENCE in this thread not me.

Last edited by marilyn220; 12-26-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 09:43 AM
 
469 posts, read 730,721 times
Reputation: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm amazed that he really believed a young woman 21 years his junior would actually be interested in him.
Im not! We had a 58 year old employee think that a 24 year old co worker liked him. She made the mistake of being friendly to him. Once he got the hint, he went out of his way to frame her as a poor and unethical worker. He made multiple complaints against her and we had to put them on different shifts. He is a total looser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
8,881 posts, read 15,661,326 times
Reputation: 11460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

This is kinda the same theme as the gay marriage ruling. Based on how the law is written, it was very cut and dry that you can't exclude gays from getting married if you're going to let straight people get married. Change the background laws, don't punish the judges (who ruled 5-0) for acting on the current law. Conservatives came up with the term "activist judge" to try and push them into a corner and make them seen estranged from society. They wanted to get people scared that these judges were doing something terrible and they needed to freak out and evict them. The judges were simply doing their jobs. It was a fairly shameful move on the part of the republicans/conservatives to push this voting out of the judges. At the end of the day they all knew the judges were only doing their job, but since they couldn't do anything else to overturn gay marriage - they just went after the judges to try and scare people into believing that it's a "false law". Most of the judges were put there by a republican governor anyway. They were hardly crazy liberal. Just translating Iowa's constitution.
Actually, I believe the legal problem with the "gay marriage" ruling was not the decision itself, but the fact that the judges went beyond ruling on the case at hand and instructed all county recorders in the state to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. This goes beyond the authority of the judiciary which is where the whole "activist judges" idea came from.

Not that most people campaigning and voting against retention really understood this; I think most were just against same-sex marriage and really didn't care about the actual legality at all. Just pointing out that underneath all the prejudice there was some judicial misconduct.

For what it's worth, civil marriage in Iowa isn't valued very highly anyway. Anyone who wants to end a marriage can simply pay $180 and file a decree with the circuit court and in most cases a judge signs off on it and it's a done deal.

Regarding the story at hand, while the dentist is obviously a douchebag and that there may be more to the story, I support the rights of any small businessperson to discharge any employee at any time for any reason, provided the employer doesn't try to prevent the discharged worker from receiving unemployment benefits. In this case, since the woman was given severance it would be unlikely that she'd be denied benefits even if Dr Douche did try to deny it as in this state payment of severance usually is viewed as evidence that the employee did nothing wrong to cause the termination.

Last edited by duster1979; 12-26-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 01:27 PM
 
6,474 posts, read 10,048,725 times
Reputation: 6325
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
In this case, since the woman was given severance it would be unlikely that she'd be denied benefits even if Dr Douche did try to deny it as in this state payment of severance usually is viewed as evidence that the employee did nothing wrong to cause the termination.
This is good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 01:32 PM
 
6,474 posts, read 10,048,725 times
Reputation: 6325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave82 View Post
Im not! We had a 58 year old employee think that a 24 year old co worker liked him. She made the mistake of being friendly to him. Once he got the hint, he went out of his way to frame her as a poor and unethical worker. He made multiple complaints against her and we had to put them on different shifts. He is a total looser.
What on earth??!

Did grandpa really believe he stood a chance?

When I was in my 20s, I found men in their 40s and up repulsive. Most girls I knew who dealt with them did it for MONETARY PURPOSES ONLY (just like they do TODAY). Trick daddies is what we called them. LOL!

Poor girl. I'm glad you guys were able to figure it out. Was he her supervisor or fellow co-worker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 PM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,148,392 times
Reputation: 910
If a fat woman had been fired for being too fat, there would be much more outrage. No comparison.

All the feminist groups would take a stand, but if it's an attractive women, they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 PM
 
6,474 posts, read 10,048,725 times
Reputation: 6325
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
If a fat woman had been fired for being too fat, there would be much more outrage. No comparison.

All the feminist groups would take a stand
, but if it's an attractive women, they don't.
You are so right!!!

And I hope it happens in IOWA too.

This is when you'll see the pitchforks come out and the "burn 'em at the stake" signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 02:57 PM
 
11,017 posts, read 21,594,719 times
Reputation: 10646
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Um, if these rulings are so "common place" as YOU say, then WHY is it making national headline news??

Look, I see you trying to defend your state and not wanting to be compared to a hicksville state like West Virginia, but the bottomline is that this perv fired her, because she wouldn't put out. Now, what if she was giving it up to him and still fired her, then what??

Women all over the world go through this nonsense everyday. This dentist overstepped HIS bounds and broke so many sexual harassment laws that he SHOULD be punished. Dude asked her how many times she orgasmed??? WTF???

No, YOU are the one trying to INSULT PEOPLE'S INTELLIGENCE in this thread not me.
They're not common. This is making news because it's the (or one of the) first times that it's progressed and been introduced to a court - firing someone for being "too pretty".

Doesn't really mean anything as far as where it happened, the same verdict would have been handed down in any other state. It's news because it's a new issue out there. Something new that needs precedent for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top