U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM

4,582 posts, read 5,813,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
"The store" is actually a very powerful umbrella term, as it can mean: post office, mall, gym, restaurant, etc.

You're in here making stuff up. No one, anywhere, has ever been on their way to the gym, post office, restaurant or even the mall and said "I'm going to the store."
Store = nearest grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM

178 posts, read 266,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
People don't say they're "going to the store" if they're not going to a store (usually the grocery store, or maybe a close-by corner store). Unless they're cheating on their wife.
Hmmmm that would explain a lot...

Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,544,262 times
OK…..I think I’ve diagnosed the situation. Here goes.

At one time (because in Ronnie’s world finding one example of anything qualifies it as “always”) he knew someone (in Ronnie’s world “someone” equals “everyone from Des Moines or Iowa”) announced to him they were “going to store”.

When said person came back from the store, they shared with Ronnie that they’d bought postage stamps and decided to eat lunch too.

Ronnie challenged his friend, “That is so small town calling a restaurant and the post office ‘the store’”! .

Upon being confronted, his friend explained he DID go to the store and bought groceries while also eating lunch at the grocery store deli and using the service counter to buy stamps.

Ronnie now had the real story but it didn’t fit his “this-is-what-people- from- Des Moines- are- like” narrative. Because of this, any explanation or presentation of the facts (in Ronnie’s world, facts are just annoyances that are to be ignored at all costs) fell on deaf ears.

(this is where the analysis gets fuzzy).

Either consciously or subconsciously (this is where we’re unsure) in Ronnie’s world, he now KNOWS that everyone in Des Moines always inappropriately (and unlike anywhere else on the planet) uses the phrase “going to the store” in a backwards broad brush stroke way to indicate a trip to all (but not limited to) the following: grocery store, restaurant, post office, Target, Podiatrist, church, mall, homeless shelter, young professional’s social event, grand opening for Popeye’s Chicken, Farmer’s Market, as well as annual festivals such as, “Des Moines’ East Village is waaaaaay better than NYC’s East Village!” festival .

Small town hicks!

(Fast forward to today) Ronnie shares his insights on Iowan’s improper use of the phrase “going to the store” with appreciative readers of City Data.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,146,414 times
^^^^^

The pre-requisite Freudian explanations when what is more obvious than broad daylight - simply isn't received well.

Only in Iowa.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
You're in here making stuff up. No one, anywhere, has ever been on their way to the gym, post office, restaurant or even the mall and said "I'm going to the store."
Store = nearest grocery store.
It can be used to set those up. The opposite is quite rare.

"I'm going to the post office, then the store"

Opposed to "Going to the store", which can set up everything else.

That's what I meant by an "umbrella term", unfortunately this cold weather has gotten to the Iowa forum and requires everything to be spelled out.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:26 PM

48 posts, read 94,716 times
Quote:
^^^^^

The pre-requisite Freudian explanations when what is more obvious than broad daylight - simply isn't received well.

Only in Iowa.
You're going to have to translate that. I really don't care about this conversation any more, but I don't speak crazy, and I want to know what that really said.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM

Basically, anytime a point is made that isn't well-received (anything that isn't in complete praise of Iowa or the culture of Iowa) it gets turned around and "flipped" on the other person - the one making the point.

No different than being in elementary school and hearing, "I'm rubber, you're glue, anything you say bounces off me and sticks to you".

These forums can really be that frivolous.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,813,182 times
Quote:
unfortunately this cold weather has gotten to the Iowa forum and requires everything to be spelled out.

We got Ronnie Jones with a Z here to break it down and make things easily understandable. Cold weather be damned!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,639,728 times
Quote:
It can be used to set those up. The opposite is quite rare.

"I'm going to the post office, then the store"

Opposed to "Going to the store", which can set up everything else.

That's what I meant by an "umbrella term", unfortunately this cold weather has gotten to the Iowa forum and requires everything to be spelled out.
I'm confused. Are you against umbrella phrases in general, or just against using "going to the store" as an umbrella phrase? Are you okay with using the phrase "going to the store" if you really are only going to the store?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Can be used however one wants. Only pointing out it's used as a precursor to everything else, the opposite rarely being true (although I'm sure it is on occasion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa