Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 AM

9,612 posts, read 21,151,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Honestly, you'd be better off applying to the M.S. programs at traditional schools and trying to get a research assistant position.
But traditional schools don't teach you how to fly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,413,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
But traditional schools don't teach you how to fly!
I bet there are some people flying pretty high in the freshmen halls at UI

Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,659,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidath View Post
I am from Iran. I searched about it but I could not find one. Moreover, it will be a good idea if I can ask a governmental institution to verify their authentication and their claims.
In USA, things work differently then other countries. its not like companies coming for campus recruitment and giving job offers to everyone. In this economy, it is difficult for foreign students to get H-1B sponsor. Universities have no influence over employer offering you job thru H-1B visas. If you are Permanent Resident, then thats a different thing. Not even Harvard or Yale can guarantee a sure shot job for a foreign student. No govt organisation can verify whether they can get you a job or not. Job guarantee for foreign student before starting a course is absurd.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 8,738 times
If you like TM, then go to Maharishi University.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 AM

12 posts, read 19,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
No University can guarantee any job. for foreign students, it depends on H-1B visa which companies file for hiring a foreigner. Frankly speaking, dont think too much that any course will guarantee a job. It will be a risk.
I asked them about this issue and this is their quote :

My question:
you mean that it is not necessary to have a certain kind of visa to get a job there,and if i accepted for your program it is possible for me to get hired?

Their answer:
Yes, to both your questions. Except that you would be accepted as a student and so would get an F-1 student visa. It is just that the F-1 visa will allow you to work in the US under certain approved situations (which we offer).

Could you please reply me your opinion?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
All they are talking about are internships with industrial companies. Like any other university's internship program, you would have to apply to those companies and get hired. There is nowhere on the website that says you are guaranteed to get an internship, nor does it promise you any particular salary if you do. There are really no claims to verify with a governmental institution, because they don't actually promise anything.

Honestly, you'd be better off applying to the M.S. programs at traditional schools and trying to get a research assistant position.
Thanks for your advice, i just have two questions:

what do you mean by "trying to get a research assistant position" and which other universities offer this kind of internship,could you please name me some?

Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
In USA, things work differently then other countries. its not like companies coming for campus recruitment and giving job offers to everyone. In this economy, it is difficult for foreign students to get H-1B sponsor. Universities have no influence over employer offering you job thru H-1B visas. If you are Permanent Resident, then thats a different thing. Not even Harvard or Yale can guarantee a sure shot job for a foreign student. No govt organisation can verify whether they can get you a job or not. Job guarantee for foreign student before starting a course is absurd.

My question:
you mean that it is not necessary to have a certain kind of visa to get a job there,and if i accepted for your program it is possible for me to get hired?

Their answer:
Yes, to both your questions. Except that you would be accepted as a student and so would get an F-1 student visa. It is just that the F-1 visa will allow you to work in the US under certain approved situations (which we offer).

Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,413,839 times
Quote:

My question:

Their answer:

So that means it will be legal for you to work as an intern, because your internship would count as school.

It still doesn't mean you'll actually get an internship.

Quote:
Thanks for your advice, i just have two questions:

what do you mean by "trying to get a research assistant position" and which other universities offer this kind of internship,could you please name me some?
I think you need to do a lot more research on how universities and graduate school work in the US. Far too big of a topic for me to try to explain here.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:15 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,659,848 times
Quote:

My question:

Their answer:

They are talking about On-Campus jobs which F-1 visa holder can do. If you have F-1 visa, you can get Research Assistantship for a Research Project say for Masters Degree Thesis. Salary can be like between 800 dollars to 1500 dollars per month depending on your professor or University. This is as long as you are student in that University. Other deal is that F-1 Visa allows you to seek employment on campus - say some University Bookstore or Cafetaria as Student Worker. expect 8 dollars per hour atleast-that gives you atleast 640 dollars per month.
these are on-campus student jobs. These are not proper jobs with any company/corporation. Also see that if they are offering you any tuition waiver.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:49 AM

Quote:
So that means it will be legal for you to work as an intern, because your internship would count as school.

It still doesn't mean you'll actually get an internship.
I asked them about the percentage of the possibility and I am waiting for their reply.

Quote:
I think you need to do a lot more research on how universities and graduate school work in the US. Far too big of a topic for me to try to explain here.
Your are right and I agree with you but I do not know how can I get proper information about this issue, could you please help me about it or is it possible for me to contact you directly?

very very thanks for your efforts on my behalf,looking forward to hearing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: