U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM

5 posts, read 5,733 times

Advertisements

We might be thinking about moving to one of these towns in the near future because I will be transferred in this area. We are used to playing tennis (indoor) in a club house setting, going to gym is a regular activity, overall a very health consious family. Just curious about those facilities in these three neighbourhoods including living, housing, schools, re-sell values for house if we buy one?

We are also used to mountain hiking etc..bike routes..lakes...

Will we see all that as well ?

Thanks in advance folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 PM

2,956 posts, read 4,380,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kale7334 View Post
We might be thinking about moving to one of these towns in the near future because I will be transferred in this area. We are used to playing tennis (indoor) in a club house setting, going to gym is a regular activity, overall a very health consious family. Just curious about those facilities in these three neighbourhoods including living, housing, schools, re-sell values for house if we buy one?

We are also used to mountain hiking etc..bike routes..lakes...

Will we see all that as well ?

Thanks in advance folks.
Since one of my kids has lived in Shenandoah and now lives in Glenwood I feel somewhat qualified to answer some of your questions.

As to tennis, I can state that Glenwood school has a very nice outdoor tennis facilities. The housing market, and for that matters, cost of living in Shenandoah is quite inexpensive. This is good news if you're buying a home, but don't look for considerable appreciation in your home. A lot of the houses in the central part of town are getting a little rundown. Rent there is very cheap. The people in the Shenandoah area are very friendly and welcoming. It's a nice community as are the surrounding towns.
The school has had some recent "issues" between the school board and the community, but you'll find that often in relatively small towns.

Glenwood is slightly bigger than Shenandoah. The Loess Hills scenic highway goes through town. It's an attractive town with a nice town square. The school is larger than Shenandoah and unlike Shenandoah, is growing primarily because of the town's proximitry to Council Bluffs. Home prices for similar homes are quite a bit higher in Glenwood. Years down the road you can expect better resale. Glenwood is only about 17 miles from the south edge of Council Bluffs. The southeast edge of Council Bluffs is where all the big retail exists, thus it's real handy driving from Glenwood.

You've actually got a better choice of restaurants in Shenandoah, than in Glenwood. If someone would open a sportsbar/restaurant combo here, they could own this town. Other than a mexican restaurant, a little limited menu bistro downtown, a little mom & pop diner, a Subway, Pizza Hut, and a McDonald's, there isn't much else. I believe most people go to Council Bluffs if they go out, especially in the evenings.

As to Council Bluffs, what I've heard is the best area school wise to live is in the Lewis Central High School area. It's connected to the big city (Omaha), so you're going to run into more of the big city problems along with the benefits of having everything in closer proximitry. I'm sure someone else can fill you in on Council Bluffs.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:30 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,521,783 times
Where are you moving from? Why are you specifically thinking of these locations? Can you live in the Omaha area? Or possibly a smaller town on the Nebraska side, such as Blair. Do realize that Glenwood and Shenandoah are not part of the metro area and so we are talking about small towns here. If you need to be based in Iowa, you might consider Missouri Valley. It's a pretty quick commute to Omaha and would be practically a straight shot on the interstate to get to one of the tennis clubs. Also it has the Loess Hills close there too. But again, it is a small town. And I'm not sure that is really what you have in mind. You are only going to find indoor tennis facilities in Omaha. Good Luck.

Attractions

Old 02-04-2013, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 5,733 times
JMGG - Thanks a bunch for such an informative reply. I might be working in Shenandoah and looking at it from google map/earth, it looks like a typical small town like you said.

As to tennis, I can state that Glenwood school has a very nice outdoor tennis facilities.
Excellent - I assume, summers are plenty and warm ?

The housing market, and for that matters, cost of living in Shenandoah is quite inexpensive. This is good news if you're buying a home, but don't look for considerable appreciation in your home. A lot of the houses in the central part of town are getting a little rundown. Rent there is very cheap. The people in the Shenandoah area are very friendly and welcoming. It's a nice community as are the surrounding towns.
The school has had some recent "issues" between the school board and the community, but you'll find that often in relatively small towns.
We might think about renting at first before moving into our own house. In canada, 1k sqft house costs 400k, so definitely a better deal there.

Glenwood is slightly bigger than Shenandoah. The Loess Hills scenic highway goes through town. It's an attractive town with a nice town square. The school is larger than Shenandoah and unlike Shenandoah, is growing primarily because of the town's proximitry to Council Bluffs. Home prices for similar homes are quite a bit higher in Glenwood. Years down the road you can expect better resale. Glenwood is only about 17 miles from the south edge of Council Bluffs. The southeast edge of Council Bluffs is where all the big retail exists, thus it's real handy driving from Glenwood.

The benefit is proximity to malls etc..indoor sports in Omaha/council (skating rinks, tennis, gyms etc) but travel to shenandoah every day for work is or could be quite boring since there isnt change in scenary much..correct? but yes, resale value is better in Glen compated to Shen for sure, is it worth new car every year to compensate for resale values of car on mileage and gas consumptions...humm need some calculation there..

You've actually got a better choice of restaurants in Shenandoah, than in Glenwood. If someone would open a sportsbar/restaurant combo here, they could own this town. Other than a mexican restaurant, a little limited menu bistro downtown, a little mom & pop diner, a Subway, Pizza Hut, and a McDonald's, there isn't much else. I believe most people go to Council Bluffs if they go out, especially in the evenings.

As to Council Bluffs, what I've heard is the best area school wise to live is in the Lewis Central High School area. It's connected to the big city (Omaha), so you're going to run into more of the big city problems along with the benefits of having everything in closer proximitry. I'm sure someone else can fill you in on Council Bluffs.

yup...CB is another option, but far far from where I will be working..so I might need to re-think this whole thing I guess. Is there a Gym in Shendoah ? a swimming pool ?I might stop by at chamber of commerce website later today to see that actually..yup, my wife and I might think of opening a sportsbar if we can rent a house instead of buying it.

TODD - Heres what you wrote "Where are you moving from? Why are you specifically thinking of these locations? Can you live in the Omaha area? Or possibly a smaller town on the Nebraska side, such as Blair. Do realize that Glenwood and Shenandoah are not part of the metro area and so we are talking about small towns here. If you need to be based in Iowa, you might consider Missouri Valley. It's a pretty quick commute to Omaha and would be practically a straight shot on the interstate to get to one of the tennis clubs. Also it has the Loess Hills close there too. But again, it is a small town. And I'm not sure that is really what you have in mind. You are only going to find indoor tennis facilities in Omaha. Good Luck."

I actually never thought about living East of Shen area - closer to Chicago I guess..but never been to MV or Blair..I will google it and see if that fits our needs. I hope we are not in tornado valley...

Old 02-07-2013, 02:28 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,521,783 times
If you are going to be working in Shenandoah, you wouldn't want to live in Missouri Valley. I thought you might be based in Omaha or CB. Glenwood is about 38 miles from Shenandoah. I live in the area and personally I didn't find it friendly when moving here. Some small towns are cliquish that way too. You might have a different experience especially if you have children. If you are based in Shenandoah you could live in Clarinda. I think its a nicer town in some ways but you would be another 15 miles from Omaha. Sidney is another small community 15 miles west of Shenandoah. It's about 40 some miles to CB from Sidney. It's closer to the interstate. Nebraska City is another 15 or so miles west of Sidney. Council Bluffs has a fair amount of crime for its size. There are some nice areas though. So you do have several choices. Shenandoah has a Super Walmart, and another couple of grocery stores. Without the Walmart there would be much less choice, as they carry a large selection of items.

Nebraska and Iowa do get storms that can include tornadoes. There are a couple maps on this first site. It looks like Iowa had 17 last year and Nebraska 35.
Tornado Alley Maps and Information
Home - Tornadoes of 2013

You can check out the map and see where these towns are in reference to Shenandoah.
Glenwood, IA to Shenandoah, IA best route map, driving direction

City of Shenandoah
Sidney Iowa:Home
http://www.clarinda.org/MISC./Tourism%20Website.pdf
Welcome to Nebraska City

Weather data for Iowa
Average Temperatures in Iowa - Current Results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or