U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 11,913 times

Advertisements

Iam moving to Burlington IA with my wife and 1 year old girl. Please guide me on which place to rent, how is the town, and places to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM

6 posts, read 15,018 times
I was born in Burlington and moved away in the 3rd grade. I then moved back and went to high school there. I have no "adult" views of it as i have not lived there since. My whole family is from there and I visit every once in awhile. I know in the past " the manor" was a place to stay away from. I believe they have torn down alot of it now though. There is a large black population in Burlington but like every race there were some pretty cool people and of course your wanna be gangster thugs. One of my best friends has lived there his whole life and has no problems with it. I went to Sunnyside(nice neighborhood) and Washington(not as good a neighborhood) elementary schools both. I don't remember having any problems at either of them. Who will be your employer?

Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 11,913 times
thanks for your reply

Old 02-11-2013, 03:31 PM

8,174 posts, read 7,829,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1972 View Post
I was born in Burlington and moved away in the 3rd grade. I then moved back and went to high school there. I have no "adult" views of it as i have not lived there since. My whole family is from there and I visit every once in awhile. I know in the past " the manor" was a place to stay away from. I believe they have torn down alot of it now though. There is a large black population in Burlington but like every race there were some pretty cool people and of course your wanna be gangster thugs. One of my best friends has lived there his whole life and has no problems with it. I went to Sunnyside(nice neighborhood) and Washington(not as good a neighborhood) elementary schools both. I don't remember having any problems at either of them. Who will be your employer?
The Manor is completely gone, has been for years. There was proposed development there, but it never materialized. It's just a big green space now.

I lived in Burlington for the first 29 years of my life. IMO a lot of the town is really run down, but I don't think there are any REALLY bad areas. I don't know of an area I'd be afraid to walk after dark.

The town is VERY slow paced, which is why I left, but if that suits you, you'll like it.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:39 PM

6 posts, read 15,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The Manor is completely gone, has been for years. There was proposed development there, but it never materialized. It's just a big green space now.

I lived in Burlington for the first 29 years of my life. IMO a lot of the town is really run down, but I don't think there are any REALLY bad areas. I don't know of an area I'd be afraid to walk after dark.

The town is VERY slow paced, which is why I left, but if that suits you, you'll like it.
Like I said i havent lived there in 22 years.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM

8 posts, read 22,537 times
There is a small town outside of Burlington
called Danville. Good schools and it's
a safe community! I wouldn't live in
Burlington even if it was free!

Old 07-30-2013, 02:52 PM

436 posts, read 702,092 times
I was raised in NE Missouri, just a little over an hour and half south of Burlington. I visted there frequently, but never lived there. I now live in St. Louis, and haven't been back to Burlington since about 2010ish.

I have always thought highly of Burlington. It is a good example of a small midwestern river city. Those who grow up there are anxious to leave for the change of pace. It has most of the traditional retail including a small but decent mall, and some nice amenities for a city it's size (Minor league baseball, for example), it's easy to get around and close proximity to other larger metro areas if needed (Iowa City, Quad Cities, Peoria). Starrs Cave was neat to explore, snake alley is distinct. I enjoyed the Riverfest as a child.

What I can't tell you much about are the neigborhoods or schools. It seems like most of the newer homes are south and west.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:28 PM

8,092 posts, read 14,013,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
I enjoyed the Riverfest as a child.
Do you mean that you liked going to Riverfest in Fort Madison, or were you actually talking about Burlington Steamboat Days?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:05 PM

8,174 posts, read 7,829,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
I was raised in NE Missouri, just a little over an hour and half south of Burlington. I visted there frequently, but never lived there. I now live in St. Louis, and haven't been back to Burlington since about 2010ish.

I have always thought highly of Burlington. It is a good example of a small midwestern river city. Those who grow up there are anxious to leave for the change of pace. It has most of the traditional retail including a small but decent mall, and some nice amenities for a city it's size (Minor league baseball, for example), it's easy to get around and close proximity to other larger metro areas if needed (Iowa City, Quad Cities, Peoria). Starrs Cave was neat to explore, snake alley is distinct. I enjoyed the Riverfest as a child.

What I can't tell you much about are the neigborhoods or schools. It seems like most of the newer homes are south and west.
I left for a different change of pace, true, but also because the town was struggling financially. Most of the major employers had left. And living in close proximity to the Quad Cities is nice, but not when it is the only place you can go to visit certain restaurants or shopping. Driving 65 miles to shop and eat somewhere other than the handful of choices in Burlington gets old real quick, I promise. Burlington always felt isolated to me for that reason.

The mall is "OK". That's it. Last time I was there, it had a lot of empty stores. I know that mall well, I worked in a couple of stores there when I lived in Burlington. It has never been a happening mall.

Steamboat Days is still an awesome annual event, but that is pretty much IT for events there, other than a random concert in the auditorium.

The river is pretty - from a distance. The bluffs surrounding do offer some great views of the Mississippi. I will give you that.

When I go back to visit I honestly have done everything there is to do within a couple of hours (including driving through my old neighborhoods).

Old 08-07-2014, 01:23 PM

114 posts, read 55,173 times
FYI - I wouldn't feel safe walking at night in most of the town. Often times not even during the day. I live in a "nicer" area and I am harrassed doing lawn work and such. I have certain rules about which stores I go to by myself and some are off limits after dark. Not what I was expecting when I moved to such a small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa