U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 AM

6 posts, read 9,895 times

Advertisements

I am planning to purchase a new car either a Honda Civic or Hyundai Elantra. Which is better for the cold weather.

I know this is sort of a car question to be asked in auto forums but I did not see any posts of people buying from places of cold weather and their reviews.

I just wanted to ask here in this community to know what cars are generally being driven and whether the cars I have selected would be a proper fit for the climate in IA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 AM

8,671 posts, read 8,854,157 times
As long as you have front wheel drive, you will be fine. Heated seats are a definate bonus this time of year. And a good A/C for the summer.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:31 PM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
I know you asked about small cars. I'm in my 50s. I don't drive small cars when conditions are bad. I either stay home or drive a beater full-sized pickup truck (10+ years old) so it doesn't matter that much if anyone slides into me.

The small cars offer very little protection and even a minor ding can rack up a 2K bill that'll impact one's insurance. It's cheaper for me to run a beater truck (as a second vehicle), and in the summer it pays for itself when I haul things for friends.

I like Civics a lot! But I wouldn't want to be in one on an icy day, sliding into an intersection.

Added: I included my age because I get called "Granny" sometimes, but I have a number of years of accident-free winter driving.

Last edited by Meemur; 03-13-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,057,952 times
A larger car/truck/SUV would probably be the safest option, but I think you'll be just fine with the Civic or Elantra (I drive a Toyota Corolla).

As mentioned before, definitely go with front wheel drive. I had back wheel drive when I first moved here from California and had never driven in snow before ... what a nightmare

Last edited by ennaf; 03-13-2013 at 07:17 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM

Small cars can be extremely safe. Some are built with very tough frames to protect the people inside.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I know you asked about small cars. I'm in my 50s. I don't drive small cars when conditions are bad. I either stay home or drive a beater full-sized pickup truck (10+ years old) so it doesn't matter that much if anyone slides into me.

The small cars offer very little protection and even a minor ding can rack up a 2K bill that'll impact one's insurance. It's cheaper for me to run a beater truck (as a second vehicle), and in the summer it pays for itself when I haul things for friends.

I like Civics a lot! But I wouldn't want to be in one on an icy day, sliding into an intersection.

Added: I included my age because I get called "Granny" sometimes, but I have a number of years of accident-free winter driving.
I've been in just one winter accident, and that was when I was driving down a hill and someone pulled RIGHT in front of me without even looking. I slid into them. Otherwise I have never had major issues sliding into intersections or anything...and I even drove a V8 with rear wheel drive for a decade. Other than that car, I have driven small cars. No problems.

A Civic would be fine.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times
Either car you are considering would be fine. I assume you're in a situation where you could limit your driving in snowy and icy conditions to essential in-town commuting only so you don't need four wheel drive/all wheel drive. In eastern Iowa we get a snow so big that the plows can't keep up once, maybe twice a year and when we get them you pretty much just don't go anywhere for a day until the roads are clear, so there's no need to buy a car specifically geared toward driving in those conditions.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
The best car is the one that is headed out of Iowa.

I kid, I kid... mostly

Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 PM

3,056 posts, read 4,351,979 times
When I lived in Iowa I drove an old rear wheel drive Toyota Celica (no anti-lock brakes or airbags either). It did fine with a few bags of sand in the trunk. I would imagine any modern front wheel drive car would be much better. I'd have no fear driving in a place like that with my 2010 Mitsubishi with its seven air bags, safety cage, anti-lock brakes, stability control and traction control (almost all newer models have these things standard). The last thing I'd want in the snow is a two wheel drive pickup.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:15 PM

565 posts, read 785,282 times
I live in Central Illinois so I am pretty sure we are getting as much as snow as Cedar Rapids. I just bought a Civic and love it, it handles well and doesn't mind the weather. The only thing is that I wish the suspension was a little higher so that I wouldn't be so at risk for hitting those concrete parking space bumpers. Haha.

Still its like someone else said, in times of extreme weather where plows can't reach (which plows are terrible here, thanks Illinois) you usually are driving so little or not at all so it isn't a major issue. I think you'd be very happy with the Civic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or