U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,583 times

Advertisements

So I currently live in Iowa City, IA getting my business degree but was wondering where to go next.

I don't mind the weather here but would prefer somewhere a little warmer. I also enjoy outdoor activities such as running, biking, or hiking. I'd like to live in or next to a large city with plenty of shopping and entertainment as well. Most likely I'll end up staying in the Midwest but I'm open to moving a bit farther out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:20 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,627,549 times
Have you thought about Kansas City or St. Louis?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,057,952 times
Kansas City is a good suggestion (I haven't spent much time in St. Louis, but think that would be a good option too). My daughter went to school at KU and now works in Kansas City. She loves it there. Lots of things to do for a young person. Good luck to you.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:11 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,996,397 times
Denver or Salt Lake City for some good outdoor activities?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 PM

13 posts, read 16,751 times
I just graduated from the U of Iowa this december - I'm working in the Chicago area now. I know it's kind of a default for everyone from our school to move here after graduating. But it's definitely something to consider! A lot to do in the tri-state area.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Colorado/Utah.

It's like the holy grail to people from Iowa. When I lived there so many of the people that finished top in their class immediately announced they were moving to the rockies. It seems like it would be colder by the mountains, but it is not. The weather is dramatically better. If you need to stay closer to family, then kansas city. It gives you the big city feel without the prices/traffic of Chicago.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,186 times
Searching for suggestions..I live in Los Angeles and got to get out. Don't know where to move. I live alone, don't need much, just some space, seasons, anything different from this crazy , manic city. Been here too long, kids are grown and done with me. I can go any where, I feel so lost. I work as a Registered Nurse in home health and really don't care what I end up doing... BURNED OUT...DEPRESSED and pleading for direction. Please advise

Old 07-20-2014, 07:08 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Don't kill yourself. Your post sounds suicidal. Moving to Iowa has been known to make those thoughts worse

Moving isn't a bad idea, especially if you are unhappy where you are. You need to care though, otherwise you may end up in a place you find much worse, doing work that is just as bad but doesn't pay well.

Have you done much research into other cities to find out what size of city is ideal for you? Have you looked for a job where you might feel less burned out? The quality of the work matters a great deal. If you are seriously considering Iowa, the real city is Des Moines. If you want something that is more of a town than a city, then Iowa City is the town option. If you go there, have a nursing job at UofI before you move. They are miles above the competition. Seriously though, examine the entire SouthWest part of the country. It has some of the best climates and topography.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:53 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,627,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria70L56 View Post
Searching for suggestions..I live in Los Angeles and got to get out. Don't know where to move. I live alone, don't need much, just some space, seasons, anything different from this crazy , manic city. Been here too long, kids are grown and done with me. I can go any where, I feel so lost. I work as a Registered Nurse in home health and really don't care what I end up doing... BURNED OUT...DEPRESSED and pleading for direction. Please advise
If you're interested in Iowa, Des Moines and Iowa City are the best for newcomers. Davenport and Cedar Rapids aren't bad either. Elsewhere in this part of the country, it's worth looking at Omaha, Milwaukee, Madison, La Crosse, Minneapolis, Duluth, Rochester (surely the Mayo Clinic system has some RN jobs available), Fargo, and Sioux Falls.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:12 PM

179 posts, read 190,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria70L56 View Post

Not sure why you posted in the Iowa thread, but I'll assume it's because it's a place you're considering.

If you want work as an RN, there are always jobs in Iowa City, plenty in a a hospital environment (at Mercy, UIHC and VA) if that's the kind of change you'd welcome there are also some jobs in feilds allied to health care, though honestly not a ton. Lot's of space, comparatively here. Lots of seasons. I won't sugar coat either winter or summer, there can be brutal days on both ends, but the seasons do change and some of us "lifers" take a particular pride in winning over the elements Twisted, I know) Check it out, if it seems like a place you'd like, come for a year, if it's not the change you wanted you can always move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa