U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:38 PM

12 posts, read 30,029 times

Advertisements

Since my local Kmart store closed in 2010 I decided to search out one within a short driving distance. When I looked online I found a Kmart store 45 miles from me in Charles City Iowa. I thought this must be a mistake so I looked up Charles City on Wikipedia and this town has a population of 7,700. How does a city this size have a Kmart? Today I made a day trip to Charles City and I was amazed at how many businesses exist in this small town! YellowBook lists 541 businesses for Charles City. How is this possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 12:07 PM

221 posts, read 982,728 times
I just drove through there on Wednesday afternoon, and based on traffic I got the impression that it might be a bedroom town for people who commute to Mason City or even down to Iowa Falls. Lots more population there than I expected. Also there were lots more new homes/buildings in that Cedar River corridor than I knew was going on. Look at realtor.com - there are lots of homes for sale in that area, and many look pretty nice.

By the way, have you ever tried to drive west to 35 from a small town in Northeast Iowa? Exhausting, unless you're just out for a pretty drive!

Old 04-07-2013, 01:48 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,631,655 times
I've been through Charles City once before, and I thought it was a perfectly lovely little town.
I think the reason it has so many amenities is that it serves as a hub for that part of the state. It's the second-largest town in northeast Iowa after Decorah (if I'm not forgetting anything). It's the nearest "urban" center if you life in New Hampton or Osage, so it anchors that little section of Iowa.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:25 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,546,622 times
From the little I know, Charles City has been pretty aggressive and successful from an economic development standpoint for a town their size. They took a huge blow when they lost a tracker manufacturing plant in the late 70's/early 80's but has somehow been able to do quite well recovering from that. I know that Winnebago put a plant there a decade or so ago (not sure if still running?).

Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 AM

3,171 posts, read 3,038,008 times
Unfortunately the Charles City Winnebago plant came online relatively shortly before the recession & it was an early casualty of the downturn & was closed as company sales fell.
The building has been marketed through aggressive efforts & it seems as though 1 or even 2 different firmd have planned to move into or have already done so. It was a large building in square footage so there may still be space available for other firms.
FYI: Starting with the horrible tornado that demolished central Charles City in the spring of 1968, the town seemed to also take it on the chin economically speaking all through the 1970's & 1980's. During those two decades, Charles City lost a tremendous number of jobs & decreased by approximately 2,000 on down to just under the 8,000 mark where it stood at the 2010 census.
A previous poster would be correct in that on east of Mason City, it would be an economic hub of sorts for northeast Iowa with only Decorah boasting a similar population size in the region.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 AM

8,022 posts, read 8,091,555 times
Osage is smaller than Chuck town but has twice the economic develpoment going on.....

Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,391 times
nothing is impossible,i think you can be objective for all of this.
http://www.anchor-chain.com

Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 AM

387 posts, read 480,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post
I just drove through there on Wednesday afternoon, and based on traffic I got the impression that it might be a bedroom town for people who commute to Mason City or even down to Iowa Falls.
Nobody commutes to Iowa Falls...Unless you live in Hampton and get sick of working at the McDonald's on Central Avenue.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:04 PM

3,171 posts, read 3,038,008 times
Don't mind the attitude there at 9:08.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:47 PM

8,881 posts, read 15,656,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Don't mind the attitude there at 9:08.
Actually, the same thing he posted crossed my mind as well when I read the previous post. I've been through Iowa Falls and it seems like a clean, quiet small town without a whole lot of jobs available and not so prosperous that housing would be overly expensive. In other words, more like the kind of town one would commute from, not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or