U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM

205 posts, read 270,279 times

Advertisements

Can folks suggest school districts/neighborhoods in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City corridor and environs that have good diversity? I'm interested in socio-economic as well as ethnic/cultural/racial diversity. If you have any experience of whether there is actual mingling within the schools, or whether they are de-facto segregated, I'd much appreciate it. Our family currently lives in Mount Vernon, which is a lovely community but the most homogeneous place I've ever lived. Our oldest children are now approaching middle school age, and I'm feeling the need to broaden their horizons. Of course I'm also interested in academic quality of the schools, so any input on those factors would also be welcome.

Also, should I post this question as well in the Iowa City forum? I don't want to double-post, but would like to hear from people about 'both' communities (sarcastic quotations since it seems almost as ridiculous to me to have an Iowa City forum as it would be to have a St. Paul, MN forum all by its lonesome ).

Many thanks for any ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:21 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,057,952 times
You will find a lot of diversity at Washington High School in Cedar Rapids. From what I understand there is a mix of low and high socio-economic backgrounds, and races. The school is also highly rated in the state. It's been a while since my kids were in the CR schools, so can't offer you much other info. As far as middle schools, Franklin use to be in the same category, but it's been a few years so can't comment on it. They did have good parent support at the time.

I'd also check out College Community Schools, south of CR.

Last edited by ennaf; 04-23-2013 at 08:48 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,057,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedibes View Post
Can folks suggest school districts/neighborhoods in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City corridor and environs that have good diversity? I'm interested in socio-economic as well as ethnic/cultural/racial diversity. If you have any experience of whether there is actual mingling within the schools, or whether they are de-facto segregated, I'd much appreciate it. Our family currently lives in Mount Vernon, which is a lovely community but the most homogeneous place I've ever lived. Our oldest children are now approaching middle school age, and I'm feeling the need to broaden their horizons. Of course I'm also interested in academic quality of the schools, so any input on those factors would also be welcome.

Also, should I post this question as well in the Iowa City forum? I don't want to double-post, but would like to hear from people about 'both' communities (sarcastic quotations since it seems almost as ridiculous to me to have an Iowa City forum as it would be to have a St. Paul, MN forum all by its lonesome ).

Many thanks for any ideas!
I would also post this in the IC forum as I suspect you may get more answers regarding the IC schools. I've never understood the reasoning for separating the IC/CR corridor on this forum.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:01 PM

205 posts, read 270,279 times
Thanks, iagal. I keep hearing good things about Washington, so I think we'll have to check that out.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:34 AM

11,015 posts, read 21,568,106 times
Iowa City's schools are overall 33% minority, so you'll have a decent amount of diversity there. The University also draws in a lot of Asian students, so the Iowa City schools end up getting quite a bit more asian students than most anywhere else in Iowa. I believe there are around 10% of the district that's Asian.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:01 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,439,307 times
What do you think your kids are missing in Mt. Vernon? Is there not enough crime for you?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:01 AM

280 posts, read 264,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedibes View Post
Our oldest children are now approaching middle school age, and I'm feeling the need to broaden their horizons. Of course I'm also interested in academic quality of the schools, so any input on those factors would also be welcome.
You're trying to achieve conflicting goals here, I think. You're not really going to find quality academics in the public school system these days, especially in a state where federal common core standards have been instituted (which includes Iowa). As far as broadening horizons rather than look at population of a specific school I'd probably recommend a foreign study program where your child gets to spend a year overseas or perhaps a year in the peace corps or americorps after graduation.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 AM

14,204 posts, read 7,402,658 times
Just get yourself a cheap house in an old neighborhood. Should be plenty of diversity for you amongst other things. Your kids will see the world in a new light compared to the quiet homogeneous previous life. The level of diversity I suggested may be more than you wish for.

Last edited by saltine; 04-30-2013 at 10:44 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Saltine, you had me going for a moment there. For about two sentences I thought you might be serious.

To the OP: Schools with a large amount of diversity are often rated lower than schools with a large amount of rich white students whose mommy and daddy pay extra to get them into the better schools. (Through higher rent, property taxes, etc) That problem is compounded in the Iowa City portion of Iowa where racism is rampant. "People from chicago" ring a bell? It's just a new way that people get around using the n-word, but the meaning remains. The racism is one reason I was so eager to leave Iowa.

If you want your children to grow up knowing people with different backgrounds, you really want to go somewhere that racism is not as common. You could go somewhere that they are part of the minority, but I'd suggest looking for somewhere that people simply care less about race. Are you only looking at moves within that part of Iowa? If you are open to options, you can use the wikipedia pages for several cities to find out which ones have a nice mix of demographics. Honestly, having been in Iowa for 5 years, I missed seeing Asians and Mexicans.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Iowa City's schools are overall 33% minority, so you'll have a decent amount of diversity there. The University also draws in a lot of Asian students, so the Iowa City schools end up getting quite a bit more asian students than most anywhere else in Iowa. I believe there are around 10% of the district that's Asian.
No offense is meant, but the information in this post is being corrected to reflect reality.

These numbers are wrong. There are relatively few asians in Iowa City. You probably know that from living in Mount Vernon.

From the census: As of the census[2] of 2010, there were 67,862 people, 27,657 households, and 11,743 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,713.4 inhabitants per square mile (1,047.6 /km2). There were 29,270 housing units at an average density of 1,170.3 per square mile (451.9 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 82.5% White, 5.8% African American, 0.2% Native American, 6.9% Asian, 2.1% from other races, and 2.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.3% of the population.

These figures are counting people who are 1/2 or 1/4th minority as a minority. Most Asians coming to the U.S. for college pick colleges on the coasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or