U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:12 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times

Advertisements

I hope so for you to!

It was one of the best days of my life. I still clearly remember driving across the Iowa/Nebraska border. AC on full blast, feels like was around 105, and I couldn't have been celebrating much harder while driving If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

It's going to be mid 80s today (having a "heat wave" for May come through), and I'm not even turning on the A/C. Just opening the windows. If it gets warm inside I'll change to shorts. I had no idea that the comfortable range of temperatures could get so large. (Sorry Iowa readers, this is the temperature in CS) After that we'll be mid seventies and sunny for quite a while.

To keep this thread on track: In the quad cities today it will be 66, cloudy, and raining with flood warnings issued. Over the next week there will be severe thunderstorms, which should be fun to watch. It'll go to mid 80s and be very humid. It will definitely not be pants weather due to the high humidity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 10:02 PM

8 posts, read 8,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I moved out to Colorado Springs, and I absolutely love it. During my free time for about 18 months I research almost every city over 200k people in America
I just couldn't let you slide anymore after your comment above regarding Dubuque.

You researched for 18 months during your free time?
You're kidding, right?
Because looking stuff up online will not give you one iota of information you'll receive by actually living in or visiting a particular city.
I think it amusing that people come on here and actually take strangers advice regarding the town they live in. Unless it is extraordinarily well written with definitive information that get down to specifics then a person is wasting their time reading any of it. Which is most of it.
I've lived all over the country in my 47 years....From Miami to Chicago to the Bay Area, Seattle, Kansas, Minnesota, Madison WI, Vermont, Maryland and the list goes on to another 2/300 cities I've spent time in as a location scout. I've been everywhere in the U.S. and Canada and when I see a 20 something say to others that they've researched a gob of cities I have to step in and say something.
Because you're espousing the idea that you know better because you read about a bunch of places.

Doesn't work that way.
You have to live there. You have to eat locally and play locally. You have to get up every day and go to work in that city and get to know the people.
People go and visit a city for a week and eat at a few restaurants and drive around and think they know a place. You don't.
Believe me.
You have to live there, plain and simple.

With your flippant message it's no surprise that you would not only have Miami on your list but ultimately live in Colorado Springs. What a wretched, ruined place the Springs has become lo these past 15 years. Tract housing for miles and no structure to the city any longer. No identity....Gone, just like here in Seattle.

Dubuque is actually a killer place for a white family truth be told. If you're a minority you'll be readily accepted but there won't be a lot of you. I'm just being honest.
Dubuque is a fun place if you dig the great outdoors. We own a home there that we rent out and we mostly live in Washington State.

Good luck down there in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa