U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
3 posts, read 6,120 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi I currently live in Tucson AZ but will possibly moving to Dubuque and I wanted to know if there are many Christian Churches there and if there is any kind of public transportation. I know its a quarter the size of Tucson but I want to get a good idea of the city, because it is a toss up of Dubuque, Quad Cities or the Iowa City so any kind of info would be helpful thank you for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2013, 10:15 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Reputation: 5358
Responses may be limited because it is a fairly small community. IMO it is easily the most scenic part of Iowa I have ever been 2. (I don't know the Western border well) I'd probably rank the options in the same order you listed them. Dubuque or Quad Cities gives you better access to reach a major metropolis. (For medical care, professional sports, etc)

What brings you to the area? Knowing what I do, I can not imagine choosing to leave Tucson to move to Iowa. Have you lived in the Midwest before, so you'll be prepared for the cold?

I have no idea about the churches/public transportation there. My exposure to Dubuque has been driving through a couple times and admiring the brick structures. It has a real glow to it.

Side note: If you have a job at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, that would be a good reason to move to Iowa City. They are an incredible employer. However, if you move there without a job, the difficulty of getting hired will be intense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 PM
 
158 posts, read 251,551 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy0379 View Post
Hi I currently live in Tucson AZ but will possibly moving to Dubuque and I wanted to know if there are many Christian Churches there and if there is any kind of public transportation. I know its a quarter the size of Tucson but I want to get a good idea of the city, because it is a toss up of Dubuque, Quad Cities or the Iowa City so any kind of info would be helpful thank you for your time
I lived in Dubuque for 4 years. IMO that would not be my choice to move there especially coming from a bigger city like Tucson. I moved to Dubuque from Atlanta and I didn't like it. They do have public transportation but its not the greatest. If you can't afford to leave on the west end of town you will see a lot of crime and failing public schools (if you have kids)on the north end. Dubuque has great qualities in scenery but as for living there it can be very boring, also if you're used to convenience you won't have that in Dubuque. The Old Navy even closed. As for churches it's a very Catholic town there are many Catholic Churches. Let me know if you have any other questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Reputation: 5358
Great points Camille.

So that's 2 votes for "Why are you moving from Tucson to Iowa?" :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
3 posts, read 6,120 times
Reputation: 10
Smile Thank you!!

I am moving to the area to be closer to my brother and his family and they currently reside in The Quad Cities and I have lived in Tucson since 1985 and I am over the heat and the people lol seriously though. And yes I have lived in the midwest befor I lived in Bloomington, IL for a year and I loved that there were seasons and not 110 temps outside cause even though I have lived here that long you NEVER get used to the heat. But I wanted to thank you for all your helpful info its all up in the air where I am exactly moving at this point but I know my time is up in AZ Im ready for change and just wanted to check out all my options thank you again take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
3 posts, read 6,120 times
Reputation: 10
Default Thanks

Thank you Camille I'm starting to think the Quad Cities is going to be my best bet at this point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 07:14 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Reputation: 5358
Yes, if your relatives live in the Quad Cities and you are moving to be near them, then the other two will be a much longer commute than you would want.

I enjoy the seasons also, but I wanted summer/winter to not both suck, so I moved out of Iowa. I'm pretty big on watching the weather and making sure I can have some weather to enjoy going out in. The heat made summer unpleasant, and the cold made winter awful. The heat index for Iowa usually isn't that much cooler in the summer due to the humidity.

However, you'll be in the majority in Iowa when you tell people that live there because of family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 PM
 
158 posts, read 251,551 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Yes, if your relatives live in the Quad Cities and you are moving to be near them, then the other two will be a much longer commute than you would want.

I enjoy the seasons also, but I wanted summer/winter to not both suck, so I moved out of Iowa. I'm pretty big on watching the weather and making sure I can have some weather to enjoy going out in. The heat made summer unpleasant, and the cold made winter awful. The heat index for Iowa usually isn't that much cooler in the summer due to the humidity.

However, you'll be in the majority in Iowa when you tell people that live there because of family
Where do you live now. I live Des Moines and even though I think it's a great city I haven't had the best of luck with the locals and to top it off the winters are brutal I'm not sure ill ever get used the work that goes into getting ready for your day in the middle of winter! Makes me want to move back to Miami Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 07:36 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Reputation: 5358
I moved out to Colorado Springs, and I absolutely love it. Over the winter our coldest month still has average highs of 44. Not what you'd expect for living at 7000 feet and next to a mountain Our warmest month is around 85 average high, but the humidity is very low and the temperature will hardly ever pass 90 without a strong breeze. As a result, your normal "feels like" in july is around 81 to 82 and hardly ever touches 90. The hotter it gets, the more the breeze and low humidity bring down the "feels like". The snow rarely stays on the ground more than 2 to 3 days because the sunshine just melts it off.

We considered Des Moines before moving. It's a great city, but moving there wouldn't have let us escape the high taxes and brutal winters. Once we were committed to leaving the Iowa City area, it made sense to look globally. Ironically housing prices in Co Springs are similar to Des Moines, but the property tax is only about a third as high. Wages are similar, but I'm going into Finance and new I should live somewhere with access to bigger job markets. In a city of 600,000 with Denver (3.5million) an hour to the North, I'd say the job prospects are much better here, despite the "official unemployment rate".

BTW. Miami was in our top 10 list of potential destinations Several years ago we had thought we might spend some time in Dubuque, because we enjoyed driving through the area. Once we were actually ready to get our post-graduate lives under way, we knew that we had to really search because most people don't get the opportunity to pick their ideal city and move there. I wasn't going to waste the opportunity. During my free time for about 18 months I research almost every city over 200k people in America as well as Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, and a few parts of Canada (No, you can not find nice weather within their borders. Toronto is as close as it comes, and that leaves quite a bit to be desired).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 PM
 
158 posts, read 251,551 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I moved out to Colorado Springs, and I absolutely love it. Over the winter our coldest month still has average highs of 44. Not what you'd expect for living at 7000 feet and next to a mountain Our warmest month is around 85 average high, but the humidity is very low and the temperature will hardly ever pass 90 without a strong breeze. As a result, your normal "feels like" in july is around 81 to 82 and hardly ever touches 90. The hotter it gets, the more the breeze and low humidity bring down the "feels like". The snow rarely stays on the ground more than 2 to 3 days because the sunshine just melts it off.

We considered Des Moines before moving. It's a great city, but moving there wouldn't have let us escape the high taxes and brutal winters. Once we were committed to leaving the Iowa City area, it made sense to look globally. Ironically housing prices in Co Springs are similar to Des Moines, but the property tax is only about a third as high. Wages are similar, but I'm going into Finance and new I should live somewhere with access to bigger job markets. In a city of 600,000 with Denver (3.5million) an hour to the North, I'd say the job prospects are much better here, despite the "official unemployment rate".

BTW. Miami was in our top 10 list of potential destinations Several years ago we had thought we might spend some time in Dubuque, because we enjoyed driving through the area. Once we were actually ready to get our post-graduate lives under way, we knew that we had to really search because most people don't get the opportunity to pick their ideal city and move there. I wasn't going to waste the opportunity. During my free time for about 18 months I research almost every city over 200k people in America as well as Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, and a few parts of Canada (No, you can not find nice weather within their borders. Toronto is as close as it comes, and that leaves quite a bit to be desired).
You sold me on Colorado Springs that weather sounds perfect! I work in Accounting! I hope one I day soon I get the opportunity to leave Iowa

Last edited by camille563; 05-23-2013 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Left out words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top