U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 10,172 times
Default Interracial couples

Why is it that whenever I walk into a public place with my African American wife folks seems to give us dirty looks ? Has Iowa not embrace this yet ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:50 PM

149 posts, read 17,414 times
That's not something exclusive to Iowa, but yes, it's just different. Iowa is still a very white, somewhat backwards state, and seeing a white person with any other ethnicity is just too much for some to handle.

Don't let it get to you.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:14 PM

2,267 posts, read 5,416,170 times
I agree. Dont let it get to you. Iowa is still far behind in culture and diversity, so you will still get those stares. Even in Des Moines.

If they want to be so shallow as to judge a person on race, let them live their depressing lives.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 PM

1,744 posts, read 4,824,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mater View Post
Why is it that whenever I walk into a public place with my African American wife folks seems to give us dirty looks ? Has Iowa not embrace this yet ?

I have trouble with this word and I'm not sure exactly how you mean this.

Do you mean "embrace" like you expect to be embraced, like "Wow, man, that's really cool that you married an African American woman! You go, boy! We should all do this!".... Or do you mean "tolerate", like if someone were to like it or not, they should just be civil and deal with it? I hope you mean "tolerate", because that's a fair thing to ask for.

Honestly, a white guy and a black woman isn't very common, no matter where you go. That's probably why you get people looking at you.

Iowa isn't a backwards state, we're just not a progressive one.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:13 AM

Hey Folks!! Thanks for the input . Anyway, I'm originally from the east coast where this is not all that unusual .( interracial marriage )... For some strange reason it seems as if we are a YETI as we walk around together.....LOL...Take care

Old 11-13-2007, 03:46 AM

149 posts, read 17,414 times
What part of Iowa do you live in?

Old 11-13-2007, 05:19 AM

4 posts, read 9,106 times
Default Still In The Dark Ages

Quote:
Originally Posted by mater View Post
I used to live in Iowa (Sioux City & Iowa City). While Iowa City is somewhat progressive most of Iowa remains in the dark ages, full of dogmatic and judgemental people. They say it's "a great place to raise a family" and albeit the schools are very good the state lacks culture, diversity and a healthy respect/appreciation for those different than oneself. My advice, get used to it and think about your next move.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
What part of Iowa do you live in?
I'm in Lisbon..

Old 11-13-2007, 10:30 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,829,962 times
Iowans do not like to be called backwards, "behind-the-times" would probably be a more accurate representation, although some parts are still very backwards in their way of thinking.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:30 PM

1,744 posts, read 4,824,207 times
Who's "with the times" then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa