U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:52 PM

221 posts, read 981,961 times

Advertisements

I only look at the Iowa forum now and then, even though I travel through the state fairly frequently. This is because the Iowa Forum has in the past been populated exclusively by a group of about five posters, the Team of Iowa Terribles, who only talk to one another and disagree with everything anyone else might say. New posters who try to participate have been ridiculed and disagreed with to the extent that people give up and stop posting. I've watched this happen over and over during the course of nearly three years now.

For example, someone who is not a member of the team might try to post, "My experience and opinion was and is X".

The response by one of the Team of Iowa Terribles: "No, you're wrong, it is really Y, you are a troll, and YOU HATE IOWA".

Because personal experience is irrelevant, right? The only correct answer is one given by a member of the Team of Iowa Terribles.

Wha?

So I've decided to jump in and stay in, and disagree with everything a member of the Team of Iowa Terribles posts, and start this new thread.

I'd like to encourage new people to post on the Iowa forum. Welcome! Please don't be discouraged by the Team of Iowa Terribles who have populated this forum until now. I'll be watching to make sure that your opinions are greeted with respect.

Here's some of my opinions based on personal experience: Des Moines has a boring downtown. Ankeny is a formerly nice small town which is now a suburb full of vulgar people with more money than taste living in ticky tacky cheaply built McNotQuiteMansions. Indianola is teetering right on the edge of either going in the direction of Ankeny or staying uniquely wonderful.

New posters, I'd love to hear from you here. What are some of your opinions and experiences about and with Iowa?

And, to conclude, GO RONNIE, YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT - an opposing viewpoint is ALWAYS worth expressing!

Old 08-19-2013, 05:59 PM

8,677 posts, read 8,861,218 times
How nice of you to take on the role of Board Greeter!

Who is Ronnie?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,544,262 times
Now come on Lily, don't be so modest. In providing your opening message to this thread, you should have provided an example of one of your open, honest, helpful, and thoughtful opinions that I'm sure will bring countless benefit to all how come here. Here, let me help:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post

Did you ever notice that people from central Iowa never travel anywhere? They stay in their tickytacky mcgolfcourse houses and eat bacon, ham and pork chops all day long. While their kids are smoking meth in their basements.
You own it and all the crediiblity (or lackthereof) it brings along with it.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 PM

46 posts, read 102,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Now come on Lily, don't be so modest. In providing your opening message to this thread, you should have provided an example of one of your open, honest, helpful, and thoughtful opinions that I'm sure will bring countless benefit to all how come here. Here, let me help:

You own it and all the crediiblity (or lackthereof) it brings along with it.
Oh jeez, you had me snorting my drink there!
But I guess she calls it like she sees it, no problems there. I happen to agree with her a little

Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 PM

221 posts, read 981,961 times
This thread is for NEW posters, not the comrades - Elle and Capital.

However, all posts by NEW posters are welcome, and all opinions are interesting and useful to read.

The Gang of Comrades will do their best to drown everyone else out, though.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:37 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,516,524 times
I don't really see the point of starting a negative thread like this. New people are capable of evaluating posters for themselves. After reading awhile one can draw their own conclusions regarding any recurring theme a member may have to his or her posts. Your theme is quite apparent.

When you mention this group of bad poster, the "Team of Iowa Terribles", but don't point out who are talking about, it invites inquires and questions from others. You don't own this forum so those that want to respond, be it old timers or newbies are entitled to do so. If one consistently runs down places without ever a good word to be said about people or places, then to me that person exhibits signs of trollish behavior. Go to any state or city section and do nothing but run down the area and you will be labeled as one that posts just to stir things up. Someone that civilly points out the good and the bad without any name calling, rude behavior or generalized distortions will be given more respect reference their opinions.

"Ankeny is a formerly nice small town which is now a suburb full of vulgar people with more money than taste living in ticky tacky cheaply built McNotQuiteMansions". With a sentence like this you expect to be taken seriously by newcomers looking for valid useful information about Iowa? Why haters insist on posting on and on about a place they deeply dislike, I have no idea. Those thinking of relocation will spot the emotionally wounded and seek out others with more logic and a less one sided only critique.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:59 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,544,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post
New posters who try to participate have been ridiculed and disagreed with to the extent that people give up and stop posting. I've watched this happen over and over during the course of nearly three years now.

For example, someone who is not a member of the team might try to post, "My experience and opinion was and is X".

The response by one of the Team of Iowa Terribles: "No, you're wrong, it is really Y, you are a troll, and YOU HATE IOWA".

Because personal experience is irrelevant, right? The only correct answer is one given by a member of the Team of Iowa Terribles.

Wha?
Well..instead of just suggesting this happens, could you please provide an example from the forum of a post of mine that fits this description (since you called me out by name) you just provided above? If should be easy and not take you any time at all to find several examples given the how often you state this occurs.

Here's your chance to build your credibilty and make your case. The floor is yours.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 AM

412 posts, read 1,505,897 times
If you think the Iowa forums are bad, venture into the Illinois forum sometime. Talk about dissent not allowed...

Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,639,728 times
Translation: "Here is a thread to bash Iowans if you are offended because a convenience store clerk that you've never met called you 'Hon' or 'Dear.'"

Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,303,885 times
There's a reason why the Iowa forum has a disproportionately low amount of traffic, even compared to much more sparsely populated states like Vermont and South Dakota. Outside of a handful of sunshine-pumpers and a couple of folks that just want to **** in their Cheerios, there really aren't any middle-ground regulars here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or