Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,854 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So I'm graduating from college this upcoming May and I have an offer to work at the Nestle Purina plant in Davenport. One of the big things in deciding where I start my career is place I'll be living in. I had a couple of choices to choose from and Davenport was the largest city on their list so I picked it but I have a few questions:

1. What is the entertainment life like there? (movie theaters, bars, night clubs). Is there a vibrant downtown/night life area?

2. As a male in my early 20's, does anyone have any suggestions/experiences on activities to do there throughout the year.

3. From a personal perspective, what is the diversity like in Davenport? I looked on City Data and there was a split of 75% white, 11% black, 8% hispanic. Is it evident in walking around the city that this is true? (Im coming from Huntsville Al where there is 59% white, 30% black, 6% hispanic)

4. I know this is reaching, but what are the sport teams (college, semi professional, etc) like if any?

5. How are the winters? I spent 6 months in Erie, Pa, so I know of northern winters but should I expect alot of snow, every winter? (Again, I've lived in the south my entire life)

6. Based on these things, would you recommend Davenport to a 24 year old, just graduated, single, young professional.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 09:07 PM

4,858 posts, read 7,566,062 times
When doing research, look at it as The Quad Cities, not just Davenport. For example, "The District" in Rock Island IL. is about 3 minutes from downtown Davenport.

Great place to raise a family but I moved away when I was 24. Couldn't wait.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post

Great place to raise a family but I moved away when I was 24. Couldn't wait.
Thanks! But Really? so as a 21-24 year old what's there to do for fun in the Quad Cities?

Old 09-19-2013, 02:52 PM

The area has pretty killer parks and bike paths, movie theatres, Imax.

Minor league baseball (The stadium just won best minor league stadium in the country like a week ago.)

The Iwireless center (some people still call it 'The Mark') is big enough that it gets all the big name concerts. I've seen everyone from Ozzy to Jay-Z to Elton John to Metallica there. It is also the home to the minor league hockey team.

Best thing about being young in the QCA was being able to go to Chicago, KC, Madison, Omaha, St. Louis, Iowa City etc. for concerts/ball games at the drop of a hat. Back when Lollapalooza was a touring festival we would go see it like 3 times in one summer.

The major league and college teams that are all within 1 - 4 hrs are too many to list here.

The QCA has a whole gang of festivals every summer. Almost every weekend. The Mississippi valley fair in Dav. can be a good time. (All the 22 yr old country music chicks come out of the woodwork with their cut offs and cowboy boots, yeeeaaah buddy)

A pretty good amount of colleges/Uni's in the area make the club/bar scene pretty decent.

You could do a lot worse than the QCA.

Last edited by Dport7674; 09-19-2013 at 03:03 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 03:02 PM

I've never been into winter sports like skiing, snowboarding etc. but lots of that around too for being a pretty flat area.

I dont mind the midwest winters. I've made it thru winters with only a hoodie, jeans and some motorcycle type boots. But I'm the type to go from my house to my car to my job. If you're outside shoveling or walking, there will be a few weeks period where you need to protect yourself from the cold.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:05 PM

Iowa City (U of Iowa) is only 40 minutes away, straight shot on I-80. It "won" best party school this year. You can find plenty of trouble to get into.

Going to Iowa football games and being smashed by noon can be a great time.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:21 PM

River Cities' Reader

This is one of those free weekly rags you see on your way out of stores. All upcoming events are covered in it, including Iowa City concerts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa