U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:08 PM

210 posts, read 213,586 times

Advertisements

Well thanks for your help everyone. She received an offer it is now just a matter of waiting for the official contract and how much they paying towards relocation.

I'll look around northern ames as suggested. My wife has already found a few places similarly priced to our current place in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 07:03 AM

8,671 posts, read 8,854,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post
Why wouldn't you choose to live in Story City itself? Story City is wonderful! Many ISU professors and staff members live there and commute to work in Ames. One of my very good friends lives in Story City and commutes to work in Urbandale. She has the most beautiful house in Story City!

Story City is clean, small, friendly, and has a famous carousel.

I like Ames very much, too, but housing is much more expensive there. Most of the apartment complexes in Ames have a high student population too, which may or may not matter to you. If you can find something on the NE side of Ames, as someone else said, you might be happiest.

Boone would be a longer commute and is less - ummm, maybe the word is modern? than Ames. You also have option of Roland and Jewel, which are ag towns, and Nevada. Nevada is a nice mix of ag town and spillover of U people from Ames, and has some apartments. I like Nevada a lot, but you'd have to visit it to see if you like it.

Since cost isn't an issue for you, maybe rent in Ames for a year then buy a nice home in Story City?

My post here is based on personal opinion and personal experience, as are ALL posts by everyone who posts on CD, including the IowaSAVAK group of posters who sometimes dominate the Iowa forum.
I've never lived in Story City but I have to say the few times I have passed through there I did get the impression that it was a very nice little town.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:28 AM

3,168 posts, read 3,032,914 times
Story City is largely a bedroom community for Ames nowadays but does have a little bit of it's own industry.
It scored a major coup when Pella Windows opened a new plant there in the 1990's that was situated out on I-35.
The plant closed however when the housing industry tanked.
I drove past the plant when I was last in that area about 4 or 5 years ago & it was a vivid reminder of the downturn given that it certainly stood out right there on the side of I-35.
Does anyone know the status of the building, as in is it still vacant &/or does Pella Windows still own it?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:51 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone View Post
what little research I've done.

Some things we would look for in a place to live in no particular order of importance:

1. Short commute to Story City
2. Close to Iowa State University, so wife can finish her masters degree and I can go back to school also.
3. Safe, friendly community for a family with a toddler
4. A place that can offer my son sports, fun, and outdoor activities as he grows up.
5. Scenery

Cost of living/affordability is not something I will take into strong consideration as of right now due to the fact that we would be moving from South Florida where the cost of living is much higher and the quality of life is much lower compared to the Midwest.
Short reply to the major points in your post. 1. You can find that. 2. ISU is a pretty good school with a great campus. If you are living in Iowa, near Des Moines is generally the best option. (You're doing good so far!) 3. It's fairly safe. 4. Outdoor activities definitely happen, but compared to the abundance of them in Florida, you'll less then you are used to. 5. Outside of a few scenic areas (like ISU campus), most of the scenery is pretty mediocre. No oceans, no major lakes, and no mountains. That combination makes it much harder.

Being near Des Moines will also offer you the best combination of pay to cost of living that is available in the state.

COL where you are is clearly higher than DM, QoL being lower may need some defining, because it does have some nice weather for outdoor sports, great scenery, and racial diversity that Iowa lacks. Granted, Florida comes with high amounts of traffic and higher house values (because more people want to live there). When you factor in CoL, make sure to account for the 9% or so Iowa state income tax. If you were trying to save up money, the higher tax rates can be pretty damaging.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:32 PM

lursman,

The beach where we live isn't that great honestly. We would have to drive a little to get to the really nice ones. The outdoor activities aren't much either unless surfing or other water stuff is your thing, but it is not the fun and sun postcard you may think of when someone says Florida. People tend to take the year round sunny weather for granted too or they get tired of the heat and humidity.

I guess I meant a great variety of outdoor activities. It seems like Iowa with 4 clearly defined seasons should have everything from soccer to skiing to hunting to camping all in one place.

Scenery to me is nature. Forests, lakes, mountains, and a beautiful sky. I've seen enough coastlines and beaches for one life time. The 0 ft elevation and meticulously placed palm trees can make you fall asleep when you are driving too. I want something a little different, a little more natural. Not sure if Iowa has much of that, but at least the rest of the Midwest is one day of driving away.

As far as diversity, I could care less. I've seen a lot of it and often times it goes hand in hand with cultural tension and crime. My wife was born in Jamaica and my son is mixed, so I'll just look at them if I want diversity. If you think about it living in a more homogeneous and rural society could be seen as exotic for us. We are excited to experience life in a place that is completely different than what we are used to.

Last edited by Juice Malone; 10-14-2013 at 07:48 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 09:44 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,210,946 times
Quote:
1. Short commute to Story City
2. Close to Iowa State University, so wife can finish her masters degree and I can go back to school also.
3. Safe, friendly community for a family with a toddler
4. A place that can offer my son sports, fun, and outdoor activities as he grows up.
5. Scenery

Boone, Ames, or Story City will offer all of you these points, except point 5. It is not that scenic.

Commuting is relaxing is compared to a big metropolis.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Boone, Ames, or Story City will offer all of you these points, except point 5. It is not that scenic.

Commuting is relaxing is compared to a big metropolis.
Thanks.

I guess I'll just have to get used to driving a few hours to get some scenery

Old 10-18-2013, 09:05 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,210,946 times
Quote:
Thanks.

I guess I'll just have to get used to driving a few hours to get some scenery
I am not sure what sort of scenery you desire, but Central Iowa is pretty plain. In central Iowa, you have Ledges, but if you lived around hills and trees before, it gets old quick (It amazes me that this is the most visited state park....it does not have that much to offer). Its ok, but I would not recommend moving out here for an outdoor enthusiast.

I grew up in the New England woods, lived by the ocean, lived in CA, lived in Montana Rockies, and spent time in the high desert.

Beside the geography and weather, Central Iowa is a nice place live. It is quiet, peaceful, straight forward.

But this is the Midwest.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
I am not sure what sort of scenery you desire, but Central Iowa is pretty plain. In central Iowa, you have Ledges, but if you lived around hills and trees before, it gets old quick (It amazes me that this is the most visited state park....it does not have that much to offer). Its ok, but I would not recommend moving out here for an outdoor enthusiast.

I grew up in the New England woods, lived by the ocean, lived in CA, lived in Montana Rockies, and spent time in the high desert.

Beside the geography and weather, Central Iowa is a nice place live. It is quiet, peaceful, straight forward.

But this is the Midwest.
Well Florida is flat, hot, and humid. I think the geography and 4 season weather might be nice change of pace.

I thought Tulsa, Ok was beatiful. Iowa can't be much more plain than that, can it?

Old 10-19-2013, 10:32 PM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
Here's my take: I like bicycling and Central Iowa has some excellent trails. Since I'm older, I don't like peddling up steep inclines, so I appreciate the gentle slopes and flat or nearly flat terrain. There are some nice vistas, such as where a corn field meets the blue sky or the fields give way to a bit of older growth woods.

There are many species of birds and I spotted a number of colorful butterflies before it got cold.

As someone wrote, it's the Midwest, but the Midwest has a certain charm! There's beauty in the arc of a wind turbine or a bend in the road.

Here's more info:

Iowa Trails & Trail Maps | TrailLink.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or