Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 04:09 PM

230 posts, read 343,359 times

Advertisements

My wife will be going up to Story City, Iowa soon for a follow up interview and I have to say that Central Iowa seems pretty nice from what little research I've done.

It seems like there is a good possibility that we will move if she receives a job offer, so was wondering if you guys could give me any advice about where to live.

Some things we would look for in a place to live in no particular order of importance:

1. Short commute to Story City
2. Close to Iowa State University, so wife can finish her masters degree and I can go back to school also.
3. Safe, friendly community for a family with a toddler
4. A place that can offer my son sports, fun, and outdoor activities as he grows up.
5. Scenery

Cost of living/affordability is not something I will take into strong consideration as of right now due to the fact that we would be moving from South Florida where the cost of living is much higher and the quality of life is much lower compared to the Midwest.

We will probably rent a 3 bedroom apartment and move into a house within a year or so.

Thanks for replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 05:51 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,946 times
Something that might surprise you~ Boone and Ames are not a metropolitan area, just a couple of small towns. And as far as scenery the ledges state park is as pretty as anything you will find anywhere. Story city not that far, easier to find rentals at Ames because of the University

Old 09-19-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Something that might surprise you~ Boone and Ames are not a metropolitan area, just a couple of small towns. And as far as scenery the ledges state park is as pretty as anything you will find anywhere. Story city not that far, easier to find rentals at Ames because of the University
LOL yea, I thought the same, but wikipedia used the term not me. How bout micropolitan statistical area?

I should have mentioned that I would like info on Story City too. I wouldn't mind living there either, but can't seem to find much info about it. The website seems to like to highlight the fact that it is 10 minutes from ISU is all about attracting businesses.

Wikipedia has an interesting section on The Nordic culture/heritage of the city and I find this very interesting, as I have Swedish ancestry. Have always wanted to learn the language.

Last edited by Juice Malone; 09-19-2013 at 06:18 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 04:16 PM

17 posts, read 40,059 times
Ames has much more to offer than story city or boone, when it comes to food, sports, schools and activities etc... but the rent is higher. I would suggest the north side of Ames. The area is nice new and clean. I know that the 2 bedroom there is around 600-800 a month.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa10 View Post
Ames has much more to offer than story city or boone, when it comes to food, sports, schools and activities etc... but the rent is higher. I would suggest the north side of Ames. The area is nice new and clean. I know that the 2 bedroom there is around 600-800 a month.
Thanks for reply

Old 10-05-2013, 01:46 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,273 times
If you want close to ISU, then don't move to Boone. Just live in Ames.

(I know the Iowans on this Board will flame me for this, but this is the truth).

Old 10-06-2013, 02:24 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Boone is approximately a dozen miles from the western tip of Ames & is a county seat town that had it's origins as a railroad center.
As late as during the depression, it was still the same size of Ames which is now nearly 5 times the size of Boone.
As a result of that, the overall housing stock in Boone is much older than the average for Ames & there are far fewer apartment complexes there. It's a city of single family homes.
Boone offers much less in terms of cultural events and it's shopping facilities are okay but lacking as compared to those in Ames. Rent & housing costs there are noticeably lower though & it is comparatively quiet.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Boone has literally been the same population of 12,500 for around one hundred years. Nothing wrong with it, but unless there's a reason to specifically live there I don't really see why you would go out of your way.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 PM

17 posts, read 28,690 times
I'd find a place on the western edge of Ames in the new apartments/condo areas off Hwy30

I do not know your financial status or what you can afford, but if you can afford a condo/townhouse..go for it...otherwise rent in that area. Will you be working in Ames? Ankeny? Des Moines?

Old 10-12-2013, 03:00 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,364 times
Why wouldn't you choose to live in Story City itself? Story City is wonderful! Many ISU professors and staff members live there and commute to work in Ames. One of my very good friends lives in Story City and commutes to work in Urbandale. She has the most beautiful house in Story City!

Story City is clean, small, friendly, and has a famous carousel.

I like Ames very much, too, but housing is much more expensive there. Most of the apartment complexes in Ames have a high student population too, which may or may not matter to you. If you can find something on the NE side of Ames, as someone else said, you might be happiest.

Boone would be a longer commute and is less - ummm, maybe the word is modern? than Ames. You also have option of Roland and Jewel, which are ag towns, and Nevada. Nevada is a nice mix of ag town and spillover of U people from Ames, and has some apartments. I like Nevada a lot, but you'd have to visit it to see if you like it.

Since cost isn't an issue for you, maybe rent in Ames for a year then buy a nice home in Story City?

My post here is based on personal opinion and personal experience, as are ALL posts by everyone who posts on CD, including the IowaSAVAK group of posters who sometimes dominate the Iowa forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa