Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:51 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste13 View Post
In Minnesota and Wisconsin lake shores are covered with 200k-multi-millions dollar homes. In Iowa it seems the lakes are surrounded by dumpy trailers. For example, Holiday Lake and Union Grove lake in central Iowa are really crappy. Why did it turn out this way compared to MN and WI?

Iowa residents prefers not to be "hoity and toity" when it comes to their properties and how they live.
Not many here have the need display their wealth with material things.

Besides there should be no comparing one state to another, each has it's own beauty and priority as far as keeping the Lakes and Woods as natural as possible, with exceptions of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 AM

17 posts, read 28,690 times
I would say that most ponds anywhere are artificial in origin

Old 10-18-2013, 06:24 PM

219 posts, read 455,438 times
Iowans

Old 10-25-2013, 12:53 PM

449 posts, read 1,394,131 times
Yea, well you can't have it all. Some places are more abundent than others resource-wise. At least Iowa is not a dry desert with no vegetation. I can think of many worse places to hang out. BTW, ND is hardly known for its lakes either. Many of them are man-made courtesy of daming up the Missouri River. I've been to Devil's Lake having lived in Grand Forks. You are the first person to say it is a gem and actually compare that lake to any lake in Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Yes, I was exaggerating a bit, but you know what I meant.

Iowa's simply not blessed with the pretty natural lakes its northern neighbors have because the glaciers didn't reach far enough south to create anything spectacular... as I already said, the only real notable, natural glacial lakes Iowa has are Spirit Lake and the Okoboji lakes, and those are in the extreme northern portion of the state. They're solid lakes and all, but they're bush league compared to the gems like Devil's Lake and Leech Lake.

After the IGL, Lake Panorama is probably the second best place in Iowa for lake front property. Unfortunately, it's not a natural lake either. Take away the Mississippi and Missouri rivers and their tributaries, the amount of natural water body surface area in Iowa is absolutely miniscule.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:39 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
scimitar12
I get & appreciate your drift here but I'm pretty sure that fezz was referring to Devil's Lake in Wisconsin given that the op originally dumped on Iowa lakes as compared to those in Minnesota & Wisconsin.
I've been to Devil's Lake Wisconsin located north up above Madison & the Dells region & it is a scenic gem!
Take a look at the several pix along the right margin in the link here.
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ke_(Wisconsin)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa