U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 05:37 PM

25 posts, read 32,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallascbst View Post
I stayed in Hiawatha, IA at Cedar Trail Village Apartments. However, it's quite and most of the apartments were older.

I lived in Texas (Dallas, and Houston) for 23 years and Cedar Rapids was a shock to be honest.

I would say the best places I saw in Cedar Rapids area in your price range would be Beaver Park, or Ellis Park area. Be far warned for Ellis Park though, it floods quite easily.

Good luck staying in Cedar Rapids, it's a close minded and very reserved community. It's like the people who have been there for years don't allow other people to join their groups. Sorry for the discouraging, but I was close to moving to Iowa City where there are open minded folks. However, I am back in Houston, TX again woo hoo!
I have to disagree that CR is close minded and reserved. They were very welcoming to my family when we moved here in 2001 and are very welcoming to newcomers. People are progressive, open , friendly and approachable. I am not sure what " groups" you are referring to, but there is the biggest effort in this city to be inclusive that I have seen. Whether it was welcoming Katrina transplants or the many African and Bosnian immigrants; lending a hand to strangers after the 2008 floods; expanding cultural diversity with the growth of the NewBo district - everywhere I look I see a potential friend. I am sorry that Iowa was not a good fit for you and puzzled as to why.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by refried sushi View Post
I second that the Bever Park/Vernon Heights neighborhoods are far and away the most architecturally diverse, established residential neighborhood in CR. They do border less desirable areas - a couple blocks makes a big difference. The problem here is that there are few house rentals in the area, and most homes therein are 3+ bedrooms and likely to command a higher rent than you would like. Unless you get very lucky, you are unlikely to find a rental that works for you here.

As Iagal said There are a few loft type condo developments between Downtown and Newbo (Bottleworks and Water Tower Place). There are no specific rentals that I know of but there are some units for sale - sometimes sellers are willing to rent short term when their units have been on the market for a while. Its a long shot but perhaps worth a try, they would suit you.

There are townhome developments near (but not in) NewBo, but I know know little about them. I imagine that rentals are uncommon, but they would be walk-able to the market, bars, and restaurants.

If you are only living in CR for a year, and thus not buying a home, I might consider renting an apartment in a complex close to I-380 to ease both of your commutes. Its not any of the lifestyles you outlined but it is only for a year. You can message me for recommendations if you like.

Good Luck!
NewBo is a neat area and the two condos mentioned quite impressive but very pricey. They move very fast on the market.
The only townhomes in that area , generally speaking, that come to mind are on J Street. Avoid like the plague. High crime and unsafe and I speak from experience.
Also to be avoided is Cedarwood Hills on Glass Rd. They are close to 380 but gangs, drugs and murder is what they are best known for.
Jacolyn Drive area apartments - multiple police call outs.
Cedar Rapids has online access to police call outs. Plug in an address of a place that interests you and double check the crime stats.

The best way to find a rental in Cedar Rapids is through an agency. They have access to listings of apartments,condos and houses you will not find through other sources, and these are the places you will be happy with. It's worth the fee when you are given page after page of properties suitable for your requirements, none of which will advertise in any other way.

Last edited by PrairieHawkMom; 11-17-2013 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: misspelled street/apt name

Old 12-03-2013, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,121 times
Hello,
Congratulations and welcome to CR! Not sure if you have moved already, but check out Woodcrest Apartments (on Blairsferry Rd), St. Andrews apartments (on Council Rd). They are really nice, reasonable, well maintained, close to I-380, close to grocery stores and Lindale Mall (within 5 miles) and quiet. See link attached: Good Luck!!

[url=http://www.apartments.com/Iowa/Cedar-Rapids?resp=true#3gt8-|xNzH75QGQ4s4mJ-|nQLPwPrRxKJLIjTkXoNr0J-|LUxz5cr0B-|mZkuQBx3YZW3uQNJtMhdycsHeZVIgadDCC/kqktu-|Fq2yCYr0lWEet3gKyIFM7O4QE6/iszQmiaHf-|tVJa2X/yWWAGRzrZdw0QyJJm/2dB2a9ShJ0VTSNIQyyd3KYZ7lRdj8sIoyNXrmsAbWaerKK18c1/ZG9MRfdX9pog6gxri]Cedar Rapids Apartments for Rent | Cedar Rapids, IA Rentals - Apartments.com[/url]

Old 12-04-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnivloeve View Post
Hello,
Congratulations and welcome to CR! Not sure if you have moved already, but check out Woodcrest Apartments (on Blairsferry Rd), St. Andrews apartments (on Council Rd). They are really nice, reasonable, well maintained, close to I-380, close to grocery stores and Lindale Mall (within 5 miles) and quiet. See link attached: Good Luck!!

Cedar Rapids Apartments for Rent | Cedar Rapids, IA Rentals - Apartments.com
Ran a years check. Crime free. Good selections!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 773 times
I know this is an old post, but thought I'd give my perspective as a southerner who moved to Cedar Rapids, IA. The lack of trees and the open flat fields was one of the first things that hit me as a big difference. The size of the city was decent with a lot of bigger city options close by. I decided to move onto the South East side of the city up near Beaver Park and the Country Club. We loved the trees, hills, streams, and best of all the wildlife. A lot of the other areas we looked at around cedar rapids just seemed like you'd be living in a field with no trees, which was not our preference. As for schools we don't have kids school age so no comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or