U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 24,540 times

Advertisements

I have recently moved about 45 minutes away from my hometown to have a better life/job, unfortunately that meant having to make the choice to move away from my children. Without their consent, I never would have moved, but they were fine with it. I'm still very much a part of their life, just can't be with them everyday like before. (ages 14 & 16) Their Dad & I have always had joint physical & joint legal custody up until I moved. Which now, he has them the majority of the time due to their schooling. We've hit a bump in the road and I want to know what age is considered to be when you can "choose" which parent you want to live with.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated..... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 09:04 PM

2,268 posts, read 5,610,621 times
I believe when you are under the age of 18, the court chooses for you. Contact an attorney.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:34 PM

19,585 posts, read 22,844,511 times
If 18 isn't an issue (and I think it is) age is probably less of a determining factor than maturity.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Status: "Look out for Iowa State Men's Basketball in 2014/2015!" (set 14 days ago)

1,794 posts, read 1,958,174 times
How sad for your children that you've created a situation where this question even has to be asked.

Yes, that is very judgemental comment, but forgive me for worrying about children. How many studies have to come out demonstrating the importance of a stable home life for kids before people stop thinking about their own self interests and start worrying about how they are damaging their children?

Quote:
I have recently moved about 45 minutes away from my hometown to have a better life/job, unfortunately that meant having to make the choice to move away from my children.
How about a better life for your children??? You're a parent. It shouldn't be about YOU.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 AM

520 posts, read 1,348,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
How about a better life for your children??? You're a parent. It shouldn't be about YOU.
Its not like she is moving from little kids that need constant care. At 14 and 16 I think she can start to worry about herself a little more and the kids a little less. I wouldn't be concerned about moving 45 minutes away. That isn't far at all. I drive longer than that to get to work.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:11 PM
SJU

131 posts, read 518,466 times
Children can choose when they are no longer children (18). When they are as old as yours, the court will hear their opinion and take it under consideration, but the decision is not up to the child.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Status: "Look out for Iowa State Men's Basketball in 2014/2015!" (set 14 days ago)

1,794 posts, read 1,958,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
Its not like she is moving from little kids that need constant care. At 14 and 16 I think she can start to worry about herself a little more and the kids a little less. I wouldn't be concerned about moving 45 minutes away. That isn't far at all. I drive longer than that to get to work.
If you don't think 14 or 16 year olds need a stable home environment (even though they are not "little kids"), I guess we'll have to disagree on that point. It isn't about "constant care".

With helpful responses/attitudes like this, is there any wonder there is an all-time high in anti-depressant prescriptions being dolled out to your nation's teenagers?

And how can you compare a 45 minute commute to this situation since you come home each night? Can you say apples to oranges?

Old 11-20-2007, 04:29 PM

520 posts, read 1,348,084 times
Being 45 minutes away is hardly "moving away." If she can't make the effort to see her kids thats a different matter. They don't need to see her every day. It would be nice but it sounds like that probably stopped some time ago anyways. I don't think LeAnne should feel bad about moving 45 mins away.

My point with comparing to my commute is that it is not hard to drive that far every day. Especially if you have kids to see. I'd much rather go see my kids than drive an hour each way to work (like I do now).

Now, if I misunderstood and she isn't really moving 45 mins away but much further... thats different.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:46 PM

358 posts, read 1,427,338 times
In terms of opinion rather than rule/law, I think it's highly dependent on the individual children and the family environment. Some kids are plenty old enough at 14-16, but some really should get close parental atmosphere. Depends on their situation, personalities, needs, problems, goals, etc etc.. Obviously if either of them have any signs of the possibility of having issues with school, work, social problems, depression, anxiety, etc etc, it might be bad to move away.

People really commute an hour to work? My god. No offense, but that sounds insane.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:04 PM

2,268 posts, read 5,610,621 times
And we wonder why we have the issues now a days that were not issues 20 years ago. "Oh well, I guess I'll just see my kids on the weekends." Even 14-16 year olds need parents there every day.

Oh and here in the bay area (northern Cali), millions of people commute more than an hour to work. That would suck. My commute takes about 30 minutes and drives me nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa