Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,920 times

Advertisements

Today, 07:43 PM
jhammond22
1 posts, read 0 times

Driving from IA to WA in January
I am driving from Davenport, IA to Seattle, WA in early January and searching for the best routeto traverse the plains and mountains, given the likelihood of snow/ice Any advice will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 09:19 PM

310 posts, read 1,282,026 times
I-80 West, I-29 North, and then I-90 West the rest of the way. Will be the fastest but could see some nasty weather along the way but at that time of year you really can't avoid it.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:27 PM

135 posts, read 548,092 times
Default january driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhammond22 View Post
Today, 07:43 PM
jhammond22
1 posts, read 0 times

Driving from IA to WA in January
I am driving from Davenport, IA to Seattle, WA in early January and searching for the best routeto traverse the plains and mountains, given the likelihood of snow/ice Any advice will be appreciated.
My advice--head south on I-29 or I-35, thence south to Houston, and then to California on I-10 and up I-5 to Seattle.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:50 PM

310 posts, read 1,282,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearringtonflash View Post
My advice--head south on I-29 or I-35, thence south to Houston, and then to California on I-10 and up I-5 to Seattle.

I hope this is a joke. That'd take over 2 days to drive.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:26 PM

638 posts, read 973,964 times
I have never been to Seattle, but looking at a map, apparently the quickest way to get there is to take I-80 westbound to I-680 interchange. Take I-680 westbound to I-29. Then take I-29 northbound up to I-90 in Sioux Falls (not Sioux City ) and take I-90 westbound all the way to Seattle.

However, I realize that weather would be an issue so I used my map program and found a route that's farther south. Take I-80 westbound to the I-84 interchange (not far from Salt Lake City). Get on I-84 westbound there and take it all the way to the I-82 interchange in northern Oregon. Take I-82 westbound all the way to the I-90 interchange in central Washington. Then take I-90 westbound all the way to Seattle.

I've never been on these routes but I figured that a route further south would be a little safer during January's weather. I've also heard that the Pacific NW gets mild winters, so as you are heading northwest on I-84 and I-82 towards Washington, the roads may not be so bad regarding snow, ice, etc. I would get an interstate highway map of the U.S. so you can see where these routes are because it may be a bit confusing with just words.

Hope this helps and have a safe trip!

Old 11-26-2007, 01:06 PM

135 posts, read 548,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
I hope this is a joke. That'd take over 2 days to drive.
Only partly joking. Yes, it would take a day or two longer, but you would avoid possible winter storms, etc. It would probably take 4 days, but it would probably take 3 to drive the Northern route, unless you were planning on going straight through non-stop and having several drivers. Anywa good luck!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:39 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Be prepared for very cold temperatures.
Have a winter survival kit in the trunk of the car to be safe.
Carry an ice scraper as well.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:41 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Snowfall is common in Iowa during January but they maintain the highways very well for the most part. The thing that I would NOT recommend is traveling during blizzard conditions. Delay travel plans if at all possible if high winds and snow are falling. Those conditions can lead to very dangerous weather for driving.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,455 times
Default Driving from Iowa to Seattle in January

I am from Seattle and you need to be really careful about I-90. Seattle may have mild winters but to get there in january you need to cross the Rockies which means snow. you need to make sure your car can handle it (snow tires or chanis are a must - depending on the snow level the police won't even let you pass) and be prepared to stop and not move if a winter storm hits. Even if you go a little further South through Salt lake it is still the Rockies. I would call AAA and ask them for advice. If I was making this trip I would delay till after winter or follow the previous suggestion and go the southern route through NM and AZ and up I-5 in CA. Not sure what your timeline or money situation is but if you want the least hassle this is the way to go. have you thought of shipping the car and flying?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 PM

8 posts, read 36,484 times
I've driven it several times (live in Portland and grew up in Iowa). Take 80 to 84 in Ogden UT - then stay on 84 to Portland, then 5 to Seattle. Worst part of the trip is (all of) Wyoming because of the high elev - and the first 75 miles into Oregon after crossing from Idaho. Take a cell and chk in at Cheyenne for road conditions. You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa