Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,393 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at apartments in the Quad Cities for two months and I am disappointed, to say the least, with the cleanliness of most of the places I've seen. I'm also disappointed with the prices. Rents have increased in the past two years even though the local economy is still not exactly booming. I also don't understand the logic of apartment prices. You can find a two-bedroom for $700 or $800 a month. That's quite common. But God help you if you're trying to find a one bedroom or an efficiency for less than $450 a month.
So landlords gouge single people but give couples and roommates a break? I don't understand that logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 12:07 PM

178 posts, read 334,410 times
I haven't lived in an apartment since 1998 - and I was in a Detroit suburb.

But when I did, it wasn't unusual for 1br's to go for $500 and 2br's to go for $600 - something like that. I would think the price difference might be $100/mo, not $250/mo or $350/mo.

Maybe you should try renting out a room or getting a roommate.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:08 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Depends on what you want.

I was in town last month and helped girl I know move into a 2 br on Farnam st. in Davenport, by the Save-a-lot, for $460..Not the best neighborhood but not bad. It was the bottom half of a duplex, not an apartment.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:33 PM

249 posts, read 503,967 times
I can answer that pretty easily as I work for a municipal housing department.

When you build a one bedroom apartment you need one bathroom, a kitchen, a heater/water heater/etc. With that you can market to one person or a couple. With a two bedroom apartment, you still have those utilities but can market to a single person, a couple, roommates, or even a family. All you had to do was add one room and your entire concept changes.

If you are going through the expense to build or buy a place it only makes sense to have at least two bedrooms. It only costs a little more than a one bedroom and your market increases 10-fold. Because of this, there are very few one bedrooms and owners can charge a premium for them. Also, if a two bedroom is only $100 more/month why not just do that?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:12 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
I'll toss in this thought, too. In some areas, the gov't is subsidizing housing for welfare clients. When that happens, sometimes the landlords will charge higher rent since the gov't is paying.

I don't know if that's what is happening in this case, but you might try looking farther out or renting with a senior homeowner. Sometimes they have apartments over the garage or half of the house with a separate door. These aren't always advertized. If you go attend church, you might ask there for those sorts of opportunities. Be sure to get any arrangements in writing!

Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
It's odd for me to wade into the Iowa forum - but I've lived in several states and 1 BR units are usually about 2/3 to 3/4 the rent of a two bedroom. Most of my life when I was younger, I'd get a two bedroom then advertise for a roommate.

But I live in a 1 BR now. I'm in my mid 40s and like being left alone. Rents for a 1 BR in my part of Charlotte are about $800 and two bedrooms are about $950. I simply accepted the price premium for a 1 BR.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 11-11-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: