U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How will they be treated
Unwelcome, Unfriendly, abrasive. Don't come here for your own safety. 5 33.33%
It's ratehr rural and conservative, but you can receive a marriage license here no problem 10 66.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2013, 04:47 AM
 
147 posts, read 214,012 times
Reputation: 86

Advertisements

I know a gay couple who wants to go back to where one of them are from (outside of Orange City) to get married.
Will they be allowed to get married or will they prevent them based on personal beliefs. And will they just be abrasive during there special day?

Sorry to spelling "rather" wrong. Forgot to spell check.

I know its rather rural and conservative, but can you receive a marriage license here no problem, even if it is with clenched teeth.

Last edited by Yeah I've been there; 11-21-2013 at 04:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2013, 12:58 PM
 
125 posts, read 119,646 times
Reputation: 168
Same-sex marriage is legal in Iowa (and has been for almost 5 years) - PERIOD. Therefore, your friends should not have a problem getting a marriage license no matter where they plan to have the ceremony. If someone does give them a problem, the law is being broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
8,880 posts, read 15,644,831 times
Reputation: 11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS1989 View Post
Same-sex marriage is legal in Iowa (and has been for almost 5 years) - PERIOD. Therefore, your friends should not have a problem getting a marriage license no matter where they plan to have the ceremony. If someone does give them a problem, the law is being broken.
Technically, I don't believe this is 100% correct.

Iowa code 595.2.1 states that "Only a marriage between a male and a female is valid." True, the courts found that this statute violates the Iowa constitution and is therefore unenforceable. However, because the law is still on the books a county recorder could deny a marriage license to a same-sex couple and still be technically "in the right" because he or she would be following the letter of the law.

That being said, I doubt it would happen because of the likelihood that it would lead to an another expensive, high-profile lawsuit. Just pointing out that the issue of same-sex marriage isn't completely settled at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 04:33 PM
 
83 posts, read 211,218 times
Reputation: 61
My question would be could a gay couple get married by the justice of the peace in city hall in Souix County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 05:34 PM
 
125 posts, read 119,646 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer778 View Post
My question would be could a gay couple get married by the justice of the peace in city hall in Souix County
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
2,956 posts, read 4,376,353 times
Reputation: 4892
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer778 View Post
My question would be could a gay couple get married by the justice of the peace in city hall in Souix County
Why the heck would they insist on Sioux County? Is it just to be "in the face" of strict conservative religious teachings? This "couple" sounds like a couple spoiling to start trouble. Why not get married in Johnson County (Iowa City) where every 4th person you pass on the street is gay.

There isn't a county in all of Iowa that would look down on this more than the strict Dutch conservatives of Sioux County.

I have no issue with them hooking up in whatever way they feel is right, but even I have problems with the flamboyant, in your face type gays. If you want straight people to be in your corner, you don't do things like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 07:39 PM
 
1,859 posts, read 1,960,135 times
Reputation: 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Technically, I don't believe this is 100% correct.

Iowa code 595.2.1 states that "Only a marriage between a male and a female is valid." True, the courts found that this statute violates the Iowa constitution and is therefore unenforceable. However, because the law is still on the books a county recorder could deny a marriage license to a same-sex couple and still be technically "in the right" because he or she would be following the letter of the law.

That being said, I doubt it would happen because of the likelihood that it would lead to an another expensive, high-profile lawsuit. Just pointing out that the issue of same-sex marriage isn't completely settled at this point.
The state of Mississippi actually still had slavery laws on the books until only a few years ago, in spite of slavery being abolished in the 1860's, so just because they haven't bothered changing any written laws now deemed archaic, may be irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 07:43 PM
 
1,859 posts, read 1,960,135 times
Reputation: 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Why the heck would they insist on Sioux County? Is it just to be "in the face" of strict conservative religious teachings? This "couple" sounds like a couple spoiling to start trouble. Why not get married in Johnson County (Iowa City) where every 4th person you pass on the street is gay.

There isn't a county in all of Iowa that would look down on this more than the strict Dutch conservatives of Sioux County.

I have no issue with them hooking up in whatever way they feel is right, but even I have problems with the flamboyant, in your face type gays. If you want straight people to be in your corner, you don't do things like this.
Why is it assumed one has to be flamboyant to be singled out, and discriminated? Gays who assimilate, who are indistinguishable from straight people are targeted as well, once their "secret" is perceived or discovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 PM
 
147 posts, read 214,012 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Why the heck would they insist on Sioux County? Is it just to be "in the face" of strict conservative religious teachings? This "couple" sounds like a couple spoiling to start trouble. Why not get married in Johnson County (Iowa City) where every 4th person you pass on the street is gay.

There isn't a county in all of Iowa that would look down on this more than the strict Dutch conservatives of Sioux County.

I have no issue with them hooking up in whatever way they feel is right, but even I have problems with the flamboyant, in your face type gays. If you want straight people to be in your corner, you don't do things like this.
If you read my first post you will know that one of them grew up in Sioux County.
This "couple" (I have no idea why it is in quotations), just wanted to go home and legally get married.
Don't hate happiness Dahling!
And you know, the world is not set up to make you feel comfortable. I don't like when people can't parallel park properly and just leave their vehicle all crooked like that. But I deal, so will you.

Just deal with it. You are just going to have to accept that gays are going to be happy and happily married, flamboyant or otherwise.
I know it may be difficult for you, but you are just going to have to accept that they are going to be happy, and also not care if you are on "their side" or not.

I know it's a shocker, but beyond the tip of your nose people aren't concerned of what you think about them going about their lives.
I mean honestly, is your spidy-senses going to go off if a gay couple gets married at Orange City City Hall?
"I sense a gay getting married....in the cellar...QUICKLY!!!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Why is it assumed one has to be flamboyant to be singled out, and discriminated? Gays who assimilate, who are indistinguishable from straight people are targeted as well, once their "secret" is perceived or discovered.

It ain't about flamboyant gays, it's about making conservative folks comfortable so they won't feel weird.
Because some people feel weird when they see happiness.

I am so happy that I am married to a guy who is fully accepting and loving to our gay friends and glad our children are too.

Unlike some who think they are pro-gay by saying: I don't care what they do behind closed doors.
That does not make you gay-friendly at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
8,880 posts, read 15,644,831 times
Reputation: 11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
The state of Mississippi actually still had slavery laws on the books until only a few years ago, in spite of slavery being abolished in the 1860's, so just because they haven't bothered changing any written laws now deemed archaic, may be irrelevant.
Not a valid comparison at all. Slavery was abolished in every state with the passage of the 13th ammendment in 1865, rendering any pro-slavery laws on the books of individual states null and void. To date there is no federal law requiring states to legalize same-sex marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top