U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:42 AM

988 posts, read 1,091,087 times

Advertisements

Southern culture, IMHO, is cotton and tobacco fields. Baptist churches on almost any given street corner. NFL taking a backseat to college football. NASCAR. Barbecued pork products, grits, and lots of fried food. Blues and country music.

Iowa grows corn and soybeans. Hardly any Baptists call Iowa home - mostly Catholics, Lutherans and Methodists. College football is very big in Iowa, yes, but it gets much stiffer competition from the NFL (even though no NFL team calls Iowa home). Pork products in Iowa are tenderloin sandwiches and bacon. And the past couple of decades, Iowa has gotten a reputation as being heavy-metal crazy.

Iowa culture is Midwestern through-and-through seven days a week, and twice on Sundays. It surely adds its own seasonings to the mix, but calling any part of Iowa "southern" is silly. The southern 1/5th of the state may offer hints of being in the Lower Midwest, but it's another flavor of the Midwest and not something drastically distinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 AM

614 posts, read 374,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't know that Iowa is more rural than Missouri but it's not just one thing that defines a culture. In the case of the south though, the poverty levels do play a big role in that. Along with the extreme poverty you find a lack of education which then turns into a lifestyle. Iowa is a far more educated state than Missouri and that is a big defining factor. The emphasis put on education is a lot different as well. That is just part of the "southern" feel to Missouri. While it certainly isn't Mississippi southern, it's a lot closer to the culture and lifestyle in Mississippi then it is to Iowa or MN or WI...
Missouri actually has some of the best high school graduation rates, and I wouldn't call the poverty in Missouri "extreme". Iowa is indeed more rural than Missouri, I mean seriously, its KC and St. Louis vs little Des Moines.

I also don't see how a state like Missouri, which received people from the great migration, could be called a true southern state. I mean, Mizzou had their first black football player in 1958.

Most people I know think of Iowa as a small farm state. I don't know of anyone who considers Iowa as "the north" or as "yankees."

Old 02-03-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Southern culture, IMHO, is cotton and tobacco fields. Baptist churches on almost any given street corner. NFL taking a backseat to college football. NASCAR. Barbecued pork products, grits, and lots of fried food. Blues and country music.
Good point. You'll see in the south that Alabama and LSU are bigger than the Falcons and probably the Saints (though the Saints have a descent national following). Missouri has two NFL teams, so theres some division, but in Missouri the Chiefs are still a big deal. Now, when you go south, Arkansas football is a big deal!

Old 02-03-2014, 03:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 49,646,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
Missouri actually has some of the best high school graduation rates, and I wouldn't call the poverty in Missouri "extreme". Iowa is indeed more rural than Missouri, I mean seriously, its KC and St. Louis vs little Des Moines.

I also don't see how a state like Missouri, which received people from the great migration, could be called a true southern state. I mean, Mizzou had their first black football player in 1958.

Most people I know think of Iowa as a small farm state. I don't know of anyone who considers Iowa as "the north" or as "yankees."
Missouri consistently ranks among the lowest in educational standards for just about everything vs Iowa being on of the top year after year....

Graduating kids is great....if they have learned anything and based on the ACT scores in Missouri...

Old 02-03-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Missouri consistently ranks among the lowest in educational standards for just about everything vs Iowa being on of the top year after year....

Graduating kids is great....if they have learned anything and based on the ACT scores in Missouri...
It seems that rural states like Iowa, North Dakota, Nebraska, etc do better on those "ranking the 50 states" lists than states like Missouri, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Michigan. Maybe it has something to do with population. Nonetheless, its not enough to make a state southern.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Waaaaaaait a second, according to this link https://www.act.org/newsroom/data/2013/states.html

Missouri is actually 23rd nationally with the ACT scores, better than Nebraska, Illinois, Michigan, and about even with a few other Midwestern states.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,075,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Northern Missouri isn't the South per se, but the southern influences are QUITE SIGNIFICANT compared to anything in the central and upper Midwest without a doubt. Des Moines vs northern Missouri is quite a divergent comparison as they have next to no similarities. Also, northern Missouri is one of the most clannish and closed off regions in the entire US and has a very awful economy with terrible rates of poverty.
Northwestern Missouri has no southern influences that I've seen. Nor would one even notice they left Iowa if not for a road sign. Maybe the north central and northeast parts of Missouri qualify, I don't know about that. Some of the towns in southern Iowa are no jewels of prosperity either. Centerville, Iowa lost nearly 6.7 percent of it's population between 2000 and 2010. Speaking of clannish, northern Iowa has some towns like that too. But not all are that way.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:51 AM

19,331 posts, read 32,189,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Northwestern Missouri has no southern influences that I've seen. Nor would one even notice they left Iowa if not for a road sign. Maybe the north central and northeast parts of Missouri qualify, I don't know about that. Some of the towns in southern Iowa are no jewels of prosperity either. Centerville, Iowa lost nearly 6.7 percent of it's population between 2000 and 2010. Speaking of clannish, northern Iowa has some towns like that too. But not all are that way.
Northern Missouri has a number of counties with poverty rates above 20%. Iowa does not have the same level of poverty.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:31 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,585,372 times
I grew up in Iowa, in southern part of the state. Influences from the south? Practically? None.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa