Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:18 AM

15 posts, read 22,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
They're both way colder in the winter than what you're used to, so keep that in mind.
Yea, i figured this much.. I dont know anything about snow. lol. It has rarely happened down here. How do you get around with the snow? Do you need something to put on your car? What happens if the snow buries your car in? Do you shove it or what? Should i look into a rental near my place of business just in case? I have no CLUE! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
You've gotten some good advice.

I can't really address the gay aspect, but I will warn you of the potential for some culture shock just from some Midwestern aspects: it's not especially "laid back." For example, 9:00 am is a firm starting time for some and they know exactly how many minutes it takes them from driveway to desk chair! There's a certain order for doing things and change isn't always eagerly welcomed. If you are in a field such as accounting or paralegal, you probably won't have any major adjustments. If you're in something like sales and used to doing a fair amount of socializing before business, you might find it a harder transition, and I encourage you to look into Austin, TX if there's work in your fields there. People I've known from NOLA who really didn't like it in Des Moines found that to be a much better fit.

But check it out for yourselves! Try to visit while it's still winter. I think the Twin Cities are too cold for me, and I don't want to live north of Des Moines for *any reason* but you may find that it's not an issue or you may find the sorts of jobs in your fields that will pay you enough so you don't care.

Good luck with your search!
Thank you so much! I do have a couple questions.. you know how in New york most people use subway, bikes, or walking... Down here we use our car.. I know this might sound stupid , but what is the main type of transportation?

As far as jobs, customer service is pretty much all my work history has. lol. I will be looking into a community college also. i want to further my education.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

It's pretty hard to answer your general question. Can you give more specifics--what kind of jobs are you looking for, what kind of community do you want to live in, etc.
It would most likely be Iowa City. Although i do have a question.. Not even 10 mins away from Baton Rouge , is a town called Port Allen. Its rent is way cheaper, Small town, and safer to live. Is there a town kinda like this around iowa City?

Concerning jobs, all i have is customer service. i would like to get into maybe receptionist or something that will pay comfortably. I might also check into the ICPD. Maybe be a dispatcher. I will take about anything as long as my bills are covered. Hell i'll even pull 2 jobs if need be. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
You really need to narrow down to cities you are interested in (and maybe what line of work you're interested in?) before inquiring about job availablility. Jobs in both states' rural areas are hard to come by but both states have cities that have healthy ecomonies (e.g...Twin Cities, Rochester, Faribult/Owatonna, Mankato? in MN) and Iowa( Des Moines, Iowa City/Cedar Rapids, Ames, Cedar Falls?).

When you say you need to live in a city because of convenience, what conveniences are most important to you? For example - there is a big difference between needing the convenience of having access to a Walmart vs desiring the convenience of a multitude of higher-end shopping options.
I'm interested in Iowa City. i want the convenience of going to a walmart or a store right around the corner. lol. i know the unemployment rate is better than in Baton Rouge, LA. I've only had the chance to have customer service in my work.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 AM

Also what do ya'll think would be cheaper, Uhaul with a car puller and my girlfriend driving her car or use an airplane and get our cars shipped up there? Would it be worth it or no?

Old 01-17-2014, 03:22 PM

178 posts, read 334,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristengalloway1991 View Post
Thank you so much! I do have a couple questions.. you know how in New york most people use subway, bikes, or walking... Down here we use our car.. I know this might sound stupid , but what is the main type of transportation?

As far as jobs, customer service is pretty much all my work history has. lol. I will be looking into a community college also. i want to further my education.
DMACC in Ankeny, IA is pretty sizable. I'm teaching statistics at a smaller DMACC campus on the west side of the metro this semester.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Also what do ya'll think would be cheaper, Uhaul with a car puller and my girlfriend driving her car or use an airplane and get our cars shipped up there? Would it be worth it or no?
Or sell a car. I don't think it would be cheaper to fly there yourself and contract people to do all the other stuff; seems like DIY has to be cheaper.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I'm interested in Iowa City. i want the convenience of going to a walmart or a store right around the corner. lol. i know the unemployment rate is better than in Baton Rouge, LA. I've only had the chance to have customer service in my work.
Ummm we do have more than one Walmart in the state. Nothing wrong with Iowa City at all, but I'd hoped your reasoning was a bit more detailed than "it has a Walmart".

Old 01-17-2014, 07:20 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:

Cars are the main mode. However, to be fair, there are buses DART - Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority and biking to work in the spring and summer is very slowly catching on in some areas.

There was a thread around here at some point about living in the Des Moines metro without a car. It can be done under some circumstances, like one lives and works downtown or lives and works along a main bus line, but I think a majority of us have vehicles, even Drake University students.

Yes, DMACC has something like five campuses and is affordable. Credits transfer to the three state colleges without problem, I hear.

You could probably find work in a WellMark insurance call center. They are one of the huge area employers.

Iowa City is cool, too, but it's more expensive and you're competing with college students for a lot of the jobs. Better would be Cedar Rapids (about 25 miles north of IC). There's Kirkwood Community College Kirkwood Community College and some lower cost housing.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
Quote:
Yea, i figured this much.. I dont know anything about snow. lol. It has rarely happened down here. How do you get around with the snow? Do you need something to put on your car? What happens if the snow buries your car in? Do you shove it or what? Should i look into a rental near my place of business just in case? I have no CLUE! lol
How do you get around with the snow?
Very carefully. It can be very scary and dangerous, especially when the wind blows and creates a white out where you can't see at all. There is also what is called black ice, invisible slick spots that can send you spinning (or on your butt if walking). The real fun happens when the town gets dumped on overnight and you have to make your way to work before the plow trucks get out...OR it snows during work and you get to do the same thing on your drive home in the dark. If your city is hilly you might want an alternate route to avoid those slick areas. It might also take you quadruple the amount of time to get home. During the "surprise blizzard" in Des Moines the other evening, a friend took 3 hours to get from West Des Moines to Ankeny, a drive that should have taken 30 minutes, tops.

Do you need something to put on your car?
Like what?

What happens if the snow buries your car in?
You remove it. Use your hands, a snow brush, a broom, a shovel...whatever it takes

Should i look into a rental near my place of business just in case?
I don't know what you mean. An apartment in case you can't get home?

It isn't just snow. It is COLD like they are experiencing this year.

Last edited by ElleTea; 01-18-2014 at 08:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa