U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 10:23 AM

15 posts, read 18,287 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is kristen. Im from Baton Rouge, la looking to move away with my girlfriend. As far as reasons, I'd be here all night of why im ready to move. I was just wondering what is the difference between Minnesota, and Iowa? Ive done much research and come to the conclusion that i dont know any more than with i started with. I know already that rent will be more up north than here. What do jobs usually start you off up there? What can you say about Iowa as a state compared to Minnesota? Also as you have read, my girlfriend and i will be moving. So which state is better welcoming to gays, and interracial relationships. Down south is no longer what i want. No offense to anyone and this is my complete opinion, but Baton Rouge, La has went to Sh**.
(sorry for the language.)
-Kristen
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 11:00 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,626,829 times
Compared to where you are now, both states are extremely welcoming and accepting. Minnesota is more liberal than Iowa, but Iowa is more liberal than Nebraska, South Dakota, and Missouri. Minnesota is more forested and is of course famous for its lakes. Iowa is hillier and has lots of rivers. Minnesota generally is more outdoorsy and "granola," whereas Iowa is more working class. If you're looking for specific city suggestions, Minneapolis is one of the best in the country. Iowa City is one of the best college towns and Des Moines is one of the best small cities. If you want a small town, I'd start with Northfield, MN and Decorah, IA.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:09 AM

15 posts, read 18,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Compared to where you are now, both states are extremely welcoming and accepting. Minnesota is more liberal than Iowa, but Iowa is more liberal than Nebraska, South Dakota, and Missouri. Minnesota is more forested and is of course famous for its lakes. Iowa is hillier and has lots of rivers. Minnesota generally is more outdoorsy and "granola," whereas Iowa is more working class. If you're looking for specific city suggestions, Minneapolis is one of the best in the country. Iowa City is one of the best college towns and Des Moines is one of the best small cities. If you want a small town, I'd start with Northfield, MN and Decorah, IA.

Well, darn you answered most of my questions, but are you saying it would be easier to get a job in Iowa than Minnesota?
Do you know how the job marketing is in Northfield, MN or Decorah, IA? I would probably have to live in the city because of the convience of everything. I wonder about rental prices also.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:15 PM

20,947 posts, read 15,267,317 times
Job situation in IA or MN is going to be a lot better than where you are. Smaller towns will tend to have fewer opportunities than larger ones, but prices will be more reasonable in small towns. Des Moines is still relatively cheap by national standards.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:27 PM

656 posts, read 901,079 times
They're both way colder in the winter than what you're used to, so keep that in mind.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
You've gotten some good advice.

I can't really address the gay aspect, but I will warn you of the potential for some culture shock just from some Midwestern aspects: it's not especially "laid back." For example, 9:00 am is a firm starting time for some and they know exactly how many minutes it takes them from driveway to desk chair! There's a certain order for doing things and change isn't always eagerly welcomed. If you are in a field such as accounting or paralegal, you probably won't have any major adjustments. If you're in something like sales and used to doing a fair amount of socializing before business, you might find it a harder transition, and I encourage you to look into Austin, TX if there's work in your fields there. People I've known from NOLA who really didn't like it in Des Moines found that to be a much better fit.

But check it out for yourselves! Try to visit while it's still winter. I think the Twin Cities are too cold for me, and I don't want to live north of Des Moines for *any reason* but you may find that it's not an issue or you may find the sorts of jobs in your fields that will pay you enough so you don't care.

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,354,094 times
Job market in both places is pretty equal. The pay scale in Iowa is significantly less, however. Cost of living is slightly less in IA. It really depends on your line of work though. Obviously the Minneapolis/St. Paul area is much bigger than anything you will find in Iowa, in fact the Twin Cities Metro area has more people than the entire state of Iowa. I agree that MN will be more white collar workers vs the blue collar presence in IA.

It's pretty hard to answer your general question. Can you give more specifics--what kind of jobs are you looking for, what kind of community do you want to live in, etc.

Northfield and Decorah are nice towns but they are pretty small and the job market really isn't that great. Decorah would be probably a better choice for jobs but it really depends on what you do for a living.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,302,107 times
MSP is pretty much the only game in Minnesota, though. It's a pretty state with loads to offer for the outdoors-types, but aside from the Twin Cities and to a much lesser extent, Rochester and Duluth, it's actually a pretty sparsely populated state.

Iowa doesn't have a metro comparable to the Cities, but sort of makes up for it with a fairly healthy dosage of small-to-medium sized metros sprinkled fairly homogenously throughout the state (though the western part is considerably more remote than the eastern 2/3rds)

Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,542,391 times
You really need to narrow down to cities you are interested in (and maybe what line of work you're interested in?) before inquiring about job availablility. Jobs in both states' rural areas are hard to come by but both states have cities that have healthy ecomonies (e.g...Twin Cities, Rochester, Faribult/Owatonna, Mankato? in MN) and Iowa( Des Moines, Iowa City/Cedar Rapids, Ames, Cedar Falls?).

When you say you need to live in a city because of convenience, what conveniences are most important to you? For example - there is a big difference between needing the convenience of having access to a Walmart vs desiring the convenience of a multitude of higher-end shopping options.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:57 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,354,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
MSP is pretty much the only game in Minnesota, though. It's a pretty state with loads to offer for the outdoors-types, but aside from the Twin Cities and to a much lesser extent, Rochester and Duluth, it's actually a pretty sparsely populated state.

Iowa doesn't have a metro comparable to the Cities, but sort of makes up for it with a fairly healthy dosage of small-to-medium sized metros sprinkled fairly homogenously throughout the state (though the western part is considerably more remote than the eastern 2/3rds)
I disagree given that the non-metro population in MN is just about the same as the population in the entire state of Iowa...Mankato, Rochester, St. Cloud, Duluth and the Fargo-Moorhead areas are all comparable to the "metros" in Iowa..then add in the smaller centers like Marshall, Willmar, Bemidji, Brainerd, etc. and you have more people than the entire state of Iowa...THEN add in The 700,000 that live in Minnneaolis and St. Paul and the 3.5 million in the suburbs .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or